Fuji Minolta MD lens adapter

37shazam

Hello,

I am planning to purchase my first non-point-and-shoot digital camera and am still on the fence between purchasing the Fuji XE1 or the Olmypus OMD-EM5. One major factor for me will be the ability to use my collection of Minolta MD lenses (partly because of nostalgia, partly because many of them are excellent prime lenses). The micro 4/3 format has many options for adapting just about any lens to any body, which has me leaning towards the OMD-EM5. Are such adapters available for the XE1? Does anyone have experience with how well they work and/or which ones work best?

Thanks!

Yes, they exist, for plenty of mounts. I bought my MD adapter from RainbowImaging (directly, Amazon had some outrageous markup) and it fits beautifully. I first bought a Kipon adapter for MD-to-FujiX, seems well made but the lens side of the mount seems too loose to me. Now I'm kicking myself for getting the more expensive Kipon when the RainbowImaging one worked better for 1/4 the price.

Either camera will work well with your lenses. As was said above, there is no need to purchase an expensive adapter unless you absolutely require spot on infinity focus (all the adapters will allow you to focus to infinity, its just that the cheaper ones tend to actually allow you to focus past infinity a little bit making the lens markings a bit inaccurate.)

One thing you may want to take into consideration regarding the two camera systems is what field of view you want your Minolta lenses to have. Since neither camera is has a full frame sensor (in 35mm terms), a 50mm lens for example will give an equivalent field of view of 100mm on the E-M5 and a 75mm field of view on the X-E1.

Back