Leica Minolta RF lenses- anyone else using them?

Brian

Product of the Fifties
The Minolta (Chiyoko) lenses seem to be very uncommon in the US, my guess is that Minolta stuch with the Japanese 32x24 statnard for much longer than the other manufacturers. The 5cm F2 that I bought is very well made, sharp, and fairly unique in that it is a copy of the Summitar optical formula.

I just bought a second lens, an 11cm F5.6. I suspect this is the Minolta version of the 10.5cm F6.3 Mountain Elmar. a little longer focal length, a little faster optic. I thought it would be perfect on the IIIa and CL. About 1/4th the price of the mountain Elmar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291279708411

Will report back!

Wow, what a cool lens! First I'd heard of it. :)

My only Minolta RF is the 40/2, which of course was the mainstay of the CL. But that might not count as it's really a re-branded and re-coated 40 cron made in Japan. Yours looks like an original idea!

I had a Minolta Hi-Matic E with a 40/1.7 on it, "sharp". The story around it was that the lens was sharp enough to catch Leica's attention to do the 40/2 M-Mount Rokkor.

The "Chiyoko" lenses- seem to have mostly stayed in Japan. They did not compete in the "Speed Race" with Canon and Nikon; had an 85/2.8 rather than an 85/2, and never made a 50/1.4. "Economy Minded?"

Back