Fuji Minolta Rokkor to Fuji Adapter

Semion

Regular
I am planning to buy Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 for my X-T1. Do you know if there is any difference between adapters? There are so many of them in huge price range...

Well I'm new to Fuji but in the NEX and m43 world I had great luck with rainbow imaging adapters from eBay. Chinese made, pretty cheap, seem to be well made and most of the time work great. Adapters aren't rocket science. I'm not sure what a more expensive adapter would do that much better. Possibly better tolerance between samples but whenever I have gotten one that fit too lose or tight I have returned it. Also, sometimes it fits one lens too loose and another quite well so the lenses themselves have a bit of variation.

Novoflex, Kipon. Those are the ones I have used that have been well made. The cheap Chinese ones are rubbish. I have had one that was so loose that the lens rattled and drooped, another that had swarf coming off the mount and a third that bound on for a while... If you get a "good" one it is pure luck. YMMV of course.

It's part of your optical chain - don't scrimp.

FWIW I typically get an adapter for each lens rather than take them on and off.

Make sense, if an adapter is inexpensive. My point is buying a good inexpensive lens (like Rokkor, for instance), $20-$50. In this case, there is no point buying an expensive adapter. I can buy $10-$15 adapter on ebay. Are they any good?

Make sense, if an adapter is inexpensive. My point is buying a good inexpensive lens (like Rokkor, for instance), $20-$50. In this case, there is no point buying an expensive adapter. I can buy $10-$15 adapter on ebay. Are they any good?

I know that not everyone agrees with me but I have been using rainbow imaging adapters for almost three years (they range for $10-$15 depending on the adapter) so far they have been fine. I am sure more expensive adapters like Novoflex or Kippon are better made but I am not seeing how that would translate into a tangible advantage. I've never had an adapter fail and the lens fall off the camera. I have had a few times where I got an adapter where the fit was poor but I have also seen that with more expensive adapters as well. In cases of poor fit I simply sent the adapter back and got a new one. I would imagine the Novoflex and Kippon have better fit and finish but as I said before adapters aren't particularly complex items. An m42 adapter is simply a threaded metal tube.

FWIW I have had a few more expensive adapters and they were nice. Fotodiox adapters are nice and they are a bit pricer than the eBay ones and I assume QC is better. That said I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they are made in the same place as the eBay ones. The biggest issue I have with eBay adapters is the sellers and not the product.

I have Rokkor 58/1.4 on my X-T1 with a chip $10 adapter. All work great! Perfect portrait lens. The lens itself costs $70-$90. I feel something is wrong if your adapter costs even half of your lens. BTW, buy lens that is in very good optical and mechanical condition. Pay little bit more and get free of fungus, haze, scratches and oil on the blades. Make sure focus is smooth and aperture working well.

I have had this lens for a few years now as I got it to use on m4/3. Just last week I finally got an adapter for it. I got the rainbow imaging adapter. So far the only issue is while it focuses to infinity, I have to put it between 10 to infinity to get it to focus on infinity.

I have fotasy adapters for minolta, canon fd, pentax, and nikon. All of them work great and fit tight. The Fotasy adapters range $10-$15 on Amazon.

Just got a Fotasy OM/FX from amazon 17 bucks- 2 day shipping.
It seems to do what it is supposed to do (manual focus, XE-1 screen responds to aperture changes , yadda yadda)
Chrome female side/ Black male side
No wobbles in the 2 hours (and 7 pictures using a 35mm ) that I've had it on
XE-1 with m. Zuiko auto-w 2.8/35mm

BTW, when you look at the image below, understand that I have no idea (yet) what I'm doing:cool:

View attachment 4669

Attachments

• HHDL.jpg
    HHDL.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 237
Back