Film Minolta XD

jai

Regular
Otherwise known as the XD11 in the US or XD7 in Europe.

15936579322_d4deeab9c2_c.jpg

This is the best camera I've ever used. Better, in my opinion than the XE series (I have one of those too) mainly because it's more compact and just looks cooler.

I only ever use it on aperture priority or manual, but it is actually capable of shutter priority and "program". With enough manual focus practice it is actually quicker and easier to use than a modern digital camera.

One of the best features is the thing they didn't include. No on/off button. It's always ready to shoot, the meter lights up instantly with a half shutter press and is off again as soon as you release. Genius.

16461118964_2ac9dece90_c.jpg

As ever, the best info can be found at rokkorfiles: The Rokkor Files - XD Series

I picked up the Minolta 320X flash (for peanuts) to use with my XD.

This flash has a light sensor mounted at the front, so it adjusts the flash duration based on the light reflected back. I guess this is how it was done before TTL, and actually it works great. Exposure was pretty much perfect every time.

18131939496_c649e117d5_c.jpg
2015-05-27-0002.jpg
by Jai Sbr, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Jai,

I owned one as a teenager back in the late 80's. My mother had bought the X700 new and bought me a used chrome XD11. Frankly, I got the better camera. It's built to take a beating too! It fell off my while riding my bike a couple of times. That poor camera had all manner of dents and scratches by the time I stopped using it. I loved it. I bought one on eBay a couple years ago but it needs a CLA to be put to regular use. It's been sitting on a shelf looking pretty since but at some point I'll have to get it fixed. I've collected various bits of Minolta glass along the way as well as you will see in my signature. I've been using them on my E-M5 but would like to see them put to use natively on the XD11. I also happen to have a 320x and a 280 flash about as well. I'm glad there are people like you giving those Minoltas some love.

Thanks,

I also use the Rokkor lenses with a mirrorless camera (A6000 at the moment) and actually that was how I got into film. Backwards! I had already built up a collection of glass and I figured I'd give the film cameras a try.

I hope you get the XD11 fixed, you can get some really great photos using one. Digital might have the advantage for colour photography, but I think black and white film especially is worth the extra time and effort.

Back