News Mirrorless vs. Playstation

I was reading a different article yesterday about the rising cost of the forthcoming PS5. I was a little bit shocked to read that the cost of goods to make a PS5 will be around $450 (the original price of the PS4 was $399).

They are "guessing" that Sony will release the PS5 at $470 (not sure what Sony actually gets out of that $470 after the retailer gets their margin, and shipping and distribution eats away a bit more). They are happy to lose money on every game system sold to get the systems in people's living rooms so they can start making money on the software.

I wonder if this isn't too different from the camera business model where you keep churning out bodies at little to no profit to sell the lenses (it's mostly just glass).

I was reading a different article yesterday about the rising cost of the forthcoming PS5. I was a little bit shocked to read that the cost of goods to make a PS5 will be around $450 (the original price of the PS4 was $399).

They are "guessing" that Sony will release the PS5 at $470 (not sure what Sony actually gets out of that $470 after the retailer gets their margin, and shipping and distribution eats away a bit more). They are happy to lose money on every game system sold to get the systems in people's living rooms so they can start making money on the software.

I wonder if this isn't too different from the camera business model where you keep churning out bodies at little to no profit to sell the lenses (it's mostly just glass).

consoles also get residuals from software sales from third parties. That is why there is such a war even before the the new consoles are released to get developer kits out and for them to have as many built in functions as possible. The easier it is to develop, the more it courts the software companies to adopt.

camera companies don’t have that revenue stream. Maybe they should! Create an app enabled camera. Zeiss is trying that with the built in Lightroom camera. Not sure that I’d the right model for success, but a cool direction for them to try.

Sony's console will always be priced in direct relation to how Microsoft prices theirs. In fact I think Sony might be waiting to announce price till MS goes first just to get the pricing advantage again. However, MS has two versions in the works. The specs for the higher end one have been largely made known, and I'd be shocked if they ask for less than $500. Sony may go for loss leader and price at 399 again, but I suspect MS will then announce their lower end box at 299.

Me, I'm getting the higher end Xbox, if for no other reason than to sail the seas in Microsoft's best exclusive of the generation, Sea of Thieves :)

I found this interesting:
If that holds true I'd be surprised a bit since Sony seemed to be on roll with good market response to their cameras and a delay to new models could hurt that. I guess then in the Sony family the PlayStation folks have more sway then the camera folks.
Me, I'm getting the higher end Xbox, if for no other reason than to sail the seas in Microsoft's best exclusive of the generation, Sea of Thieves :)
I'm barely taking advantage of my XBox One X at the moment. :( I'll likely be a late adopter to any new XBox hardware for at least a few years. The upside to that though is that by the time I'm ready then 8K might be the new norm. :D

I was an early adopter of the One X, I have the Project Scorpio edition. Most of the games I enjoy are in 4K, and while my 4K television is a cheap one, it does have HDR10 and is noticeably better than playing on a 1080 screen. Microsoft has made it pretty clear that they intend to continue with Xbox One support into this next generation, so the One X will probably enjoy decent versions of most games for a while. I'd like to be an early adopter again with the Series X, but will have to budget for it pretty heavily. It eats into whatever camera budget I can scrape up!

If that holds true I'd be surprised a bit since Sony seemed to be on roll with good market response to their cameras and a delay to new models could hurt that. I guess then in the Sony family the PlayStation folks have more sway then the camera folks.

I'm barely taking advantage of my XBox One X at the moment. :( I'll likely be a late adopter to any new XBox hardware for at least a few years. The upside to that though is that by the time I'm ready then 8K might be the new norm. :D
My gosh, imagine the DPR Sony forums (RX, A6XXX, or A7/9) when the next few cameras come out. Just think of the sheer speculation and ensuing hysteria about what feature was "obviously" left out of said camera. :rofl:

It’s impressive that some of you maintain console and camera activity at the same time. I can remember a long time ago from my pre camera days just how addictive the consoles were. Wouldn’t be enough hours in the day for me to maintain both activities these days.

I'll stick to games on my PC rather than a console anymore - with a Nintendo Switch for the portability. Now if Nikon and Nintendo got together and built a miniSwitch into the back screen of my DSLR, at least I'd finally have a use for that screen. :rofl:

I'll stick to games on my PC rather than a console anymore - with a Nintendo Switch for the portability. Now if Nikon and Nintendo got together and built a miniSwitch into the back screen of my DSLR, at least I'd finally have a use for that screen. :rofl:

I'd love to play Super Mario Bros. on back of a Nikon Mirrorless or DSLR body. The d-pad would be reversed on the right hand side, but ergonomically I think it could work!

Come to think of it, I'd totally play a Nikon video game! Lol :D

It’s impressive that some of you maintain console and camera activity at the same time. I can remember a long time ago from my pre camera days just how addictive the consoles were. Wouldn’t be enough hours in the day for me to maintain both activities these days.
There isn't. It's funny, I have too many hobbies, and my wife complains that she has too few. I've mostly curtailed gaming to a few games that either provide the effect of a well-worn-in armchair to de-stress (like No Man's Sky) or the added benefit of socializing with my real-world friends (Sea of Thieves, the best friends multiplayer game ever made). In addition, I do still listen to a lot of gaming podcasts (part of my podcast hobby, see previous about too many hobbies) from the likes of IGN, so some games come along that catch my interest and I play those briefly. Frostpunk console edition was the last (I played through the main story campaign and when I finished that, I was pretty much done) and before that Outer Worlds, which I appreciated the most for being an expansive RPG that nonetheless only took roughly 35 hours to complete in a satisfying manner, rather than two to four times that length like a lot of the more traditional RPGs.

I'm guessing it is the Barbie Doll theory- Sell the game for cost and make the profit on the games. Barbie- Doll was cheap, accessories were the money maker. In the 60s, my Sister when in High school made custom clothes to fit Barbie, cheap and fast to make, more money than making clothes for people.

I still have a working Atari 400 with Star Raiders. All-time favorite game. With Wolfenstein 3-D, I hacked the data file to replace hanging pictures and jail cells with photo's of my Cats. Getting the cats behind the bars was interesting- used the custom color palette of the game to selectively replace pixels. Then converted the 24-bit color pixels in the pictures with the closest value of the palette.

I'm guessing it is the Barbie Doll theory- Sell the game for cost and make the profit on the games. Barbie- Doll was cheap, accessories were the money maker. In the 60s, my Sister when in High school made custom clothes to fit Barbie, cheap and fast to make, more money than making clothes for people.

Have you been to the American Girl Doll stores? My daughter sometimes drags me there to get outfits/accessories for her doll and I kid you not, the clothes for her doll cost as much as actual human clothes! On top of that you can actually get matching outfits! For the amount of stuff we bought for her doll, we probably could of bought 3-4 American Girl dolls (and they're not cheap)! :roflmao:

Have you been to the American Girl Doll stores? My daughter sometimes drags me there to get outfits/accessories for her doll and I kid you not, the clothes for her doll cost as much as actual human clothes! On top of that you can actually get matching outfits! For the amount of stuff we bought for her doll, we probably could of bought 3-4 American Girl dolls (and they're not cheap)! :roflmao:
My daughter (now 33) had those dolls as well. As least back then, the clothes were always made to a standard that any person could wear. They also fit her very patient cat. 🙀

Last edited:
Back