Canon Miscellany from the good ole G12

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
G12 skies flowers etc 002.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

G12 skies flowers etc 003.JPG

G12 skies flowers etc 004.JPG

G12 skies flowers etc 005.JPG

G12 skies flowers etc 007.JPG

Cheers, Jock

I recently pulled my G11 out of the closet and remain impressed with the images from on older, small sensor camera.

The G series cameras -- particularly the older ones with the optical tunnel viewfinder -- really offer a lot of performance for their diminutive size and small sensors.

My G12 consistently delivers better technical results that my much newer Fuji XP90, which also has a small sensor and tends to smear details. The optical viewfinder of the G12 is imprecise, but it lets me see to roughly frame a shot when the sun is coming over my shoulder. Further, the G12 (and the other older G series, I think) has a really cute trick it can do: you can save a custom setting the includes setting the camera to manual focus at a particular distance (and also zoom setting). So my C1 custom setting is full wide with manual focus at infinity. The result: everything tends to be in focus, and I don't have to wait for the autofocus, which is slow by today's standards.

The shot of the dam above was taken using that setting. My wife and I were walking a trail on Peebles Island in Waterford, NY. I have taken that same basic shot maybe 50 times, but I liked the quality of the light, so I pressed the power button, swung the G12 to my eye, and pressed the shutter. I barely broke stride. I don't claim it is "great" photography, but I like the results.

Another hack that I recommend is to extend the length of the factory strap using pieces of parachute cord, so that you can sling the camera cross-body. You hardly notice it is there; the strap provides enough friction that the camera doesn't slide around a lot, yet the friction is low enough to allow the camera to be brought to the eye quickly and easily.

Cheers, Jock

Jock, your postings and musings have prompted me to pick up a used G16 in excellent condition for trail and hiking use. Pandemic delivery will be a bit delayed but I am looking forward to the experience. The G16 will fit in a jacket pocket and isn't so precious that I have to be worried about it in the field.

Jock, your postings and musings have prompted me to pick up a used G16 in excellent condition for trail and hiking use. Pandemic delivery will be a bit delayed but I am looking forward to the experience. The G16 will fit in a jacket pocket and isn't so precious that I have to be worried about it in the field.

I look forward to seeing your results and reading your impressions of the G16.

If you get to my neck of the woods, pie and coffee -- and a trip to Peebles Island -- are on me.

Cheers, Jock

Back