Fuji Mixing Kit - get the 14mm for X-E1 or wait for new X100S ?

jazzyfingers

Although I still use a Canon 7D and various lenses, I wanted a smaller camera for portability - so in December 2012 I opted for the X-E1 with the 35mm and 60mm. Love it.

I'm now at the stage where I'd like a wider lens and the new 14mm is getting some great reviews so far. But since the X-E1 is hardly a 'pocket' camera, the new X100S with the 23mm is very tempting alternative (although a bit more expensive) for the wider focal length.

I realise it's hardly a like-for-like comparison - but just wondering - is anyone else tempted by the X100S as an alternative to the wider X-series lenses?

It really comes down to which focal length you need/want. If I had only one lens, it would be the X100(s). If I preferred wider, the 14.

A suggestion: analyze your Canon shots to see which focal length you use more - or which gives you more favourites.

28mm has always been a good focal length for me when shooting street photography. I really like the WCL-X100 converter, turning my X100 into a "fixed" 28mm with excellent IQ. Only downside is that the whole camera is a bit bigger and bulkier (and slightly less stealthy) but I have the perspective I really want. It's very close to what the 18mm lens would give on the X-E1, the 14mm would be too wide for my purposes. But if you want super wide for landscapes, 14 will be about as good as it gets without distortion. I agree with BigTam about reviewing your current 7D portfolio. Are you shooting anything on your Canon at a 13mm focal length? Here are some numbers that may help you evaluate and compare, just in case they may be helpful:

35mm equiv = Canon 7D = Fuji
21mm = 13.5mm = 14mm on X-E1
28mm = 17.5mm = X100s with WCL
35mm = 22.0mm = X100s "native"

Thanks (and thanks also BigTam)

Useful suggestions. I've never gone that wide on the 7D to date - widest lens is a Sigma 24-70mm, so the crop makes that tighter again.
Sorely tempted by the 14mm to get into more landscape and street work, but I think I'll weld my wallet shut until reviews of the X100S start appearing!

Thanks again both

28mm has always been a good focal length for me when shooting street photography. I really like the WCL-X100 converter, turning my X100 into a "fixed" 28mm with excellent IQ. Only downside is that the whole camera is a bit bigger and bulkier (and slightly less stealthy) but I have the perspective I really want. It's very close to what the 18mm lens would give on the X-E1, the 14mm would be too wide for my purposes. But if you want super wide for landscapes, 14 will be about as good as it gets without distortion. I agree with BigTam about reviewing your current 7D portfolio. Are you shooting anything on your Canon at a 13mm focal length? Here are some numbers that may help you evaluate and compare, just in case they may be helpful:

35mm equiv = Canon 7D = Fuji
21mm = 13.5mm = 14mm on X-E1
28mm = 17.5mm = X100s with WCL
35mm = 22.0mm = X100s "native"

The 14 is pretty flippin' wide for street work. I like wider lenses than most on the street, almost always shooting with a 24 or 28 equivalent. But after spending a few days with the 14mm (21 equivalent), you just have to get extremely close to your subject if you want people to matter in the shot. And as good as it is optically, you don't want em anywhere near the edge of the frame. The 14 is pretty much a specialty wide lens, probably not an everyday walk around lens unless you regularly shoot in tight little European cities or villages with extremely narrow streets and walkways tha you want to spend a lot of time shooting. And you're often better off with something even wider in those kinds of environments.

-Ray

Although I still use a Canon 7D and various lenses, I wanted a smaller camera for portability - so in December 2012 I opted for the X-E1 with the 35mm and 60mm. Love it.

I'm now at the stage where I'd like a wider lens and the new 14mm is getting some great reviews so far. But since the X-E1 is hardly a 'pocket' camera, the new X100S with the 23mm is very tempting alternative (although a bit more expensive) for the wider focal length.

I realise it's hardly a like-for-like comparison - but just wondering - is anyone else tempted by the X100S as an alternative to the wider X-series lenses?

Hi

What subject matter do you shoot - and what else can you share about your photography?

Thanks Ray

How have you found the focus speed/lock on the 14 when getting close to folks?

The 14 is pretty flippin' wide for street work. I like wider lenses than most on the street, almost always shooting with a 24 or 28 equivalent. But after spending a few days with the 14mm (21 equivalent), you just have to get extremely close to your subject if you want people to matter in the shot. And as good as it is optically, you don't want em anywhere near the edge of the frame. The 14 is pretty much a specialty wide lens, probably not an everyday walk around lens unless you regularly shoot in tight little European cities or villages with extremely narrow streets and walkways tha you want to spend a lot of time shooting. And you're often better off with something even wider in those kinds of environments.

-Ray

Hi Pelao

It's actually mostly Corporate/interview video work I do with the Canon (and some larger Fuji video cameras) - but my stills work is mostly Portrait and events work to date. Haven't had a chance to play with the X-E1 video as yet.

Hi

What subject matter do you shoot - and what else can you share about your photography?

Hi Pelao

It's actually mostly Corporate/interview video work I do with the Canon (and some larger Fuji video cameras) - but my stills work is mostly Portrait and events work to date. Haven't had a chance to play with the X-E1 video as yet.

The 14 might be a very nice addition for the events.

Back