Monitor Question

Tim Williams

All-Pro
Name
Tim Williams
I am now running two separate systems. My desktop has all the Adobe CC stuff on it because it is a dual purpose machine. My Dell laptop I have Capture One Fuji Pro 12 and Affinity. I freely admit I'm learning my way around both of these programs but I'm starting to make progress.( Thank you, YouTube ) The deal is I want to run an eternal monitor on my laptop for editing but I don't have the money to drop a thousand on a bonified photo editing grade monitor. I have found some ASUS and Dell models for around 250 that look like they will do the job. Any thoughts or recommendations on this? I haven't bought a monitor in years. I'm sure this is a get what you pay for, but there should be some middle ground standouts some where. After a year of this I hope to know which system I prefer or I may just enjoy the variety.
Edit: I'm looking at the 24 in. size or there about.

Last edited:
Tim, is your goal with an external monitor to have a color grading monitor, a 4K display, a 'larger' monitor, touch screen, or a combination thereof? As you've already eliminated some of the more expensive units what is your 'Wish List' of as many items as possible within the budget range you're targeting?

Back when I was switching from my iMac to a Macbook Pro + screen, I went with the Dell U2410 which was popular with photographers who seemed to know what they were talking about. Its still going, 8 years later, not having missed a beat. I'd recommend the current version of it which may well have a similar designation (the last two digits indicating year of release, I think). Its *very* configurable, and comes with a bazillion ports and connectors and cables. I bought the el cheapo soundbar to go with it, though thats switched off most of the time. Its serving my mac mini really well.

Back