Leica Monochrom sensor problem?

xdayv

Top Veteran
Name
Dave
Help, help!

I was planning to send my MM for a CLA at the nearest Leica service center (HK), I've been seeing these nasty sensor dust spots that can't be removed by the usual bulb blower. When I emailed to the authorized Leica service center (HK), with the attached screenshot below, the reply was;

"Dear Dave,
I think that your sensor problem should be sensor coating problem and that must need to replace a new sensor.
As the sensor from Leica Germany was lack of supplying so all of our customers might take around 6 months for new sensor replacement so that you cannot take it back before <date>.
This replacement will be free of charge as this sensor problem was under Leica goodwill service.
However, you need to collect it back by yourself or the person you authorized after repair as we do not provide delivery service to oversea countries."

I'm not quite convinced on the "sensor coating problem" as stated above. Need your advice on what to do next... I can't imagine having w/o my MM for the next 6 months, but if this is the best way to move forward, then I'll have to do it...

Screen%20Shot%202014-10-01%20at%209.31.33%20AM.png

I can't see from your picture what the exact problem is. I also have lots of dust on my M240 sensor that needs cleaning but also found a couple of vertical red lines and a white horizontal line across the left hand third. My dealer advised me to send it to them and they will send it to Leica Germany on my behalf. Like you, I don't really want to be without it for any length of time. Good luck Dave.

Sorry to hear about the sensor issue Dave. I think the Leica Store in Makati will be opening in Nov 5th. I wonder if you can bring the camera there and have them take a look. Not sure if you try to clear any dust on the sensor yourself. I usually have to do that on occasion.

As for Christina's issue with the M240, you might want to send that camera in. I have 2 M240 with line issue and in both cases, Leica replaced the sensor. They are able to do it pretty quickly. One took no more than 2 weeks.

Could you post a 100% crop of the affected areas? I would think the person inspecting it would have tried a wet clean first, but you might want to double check.

I would also inquire with the shop doing the sensor replacement if you can be put on a waiting list to send the camera in when the parts are available OR if the camera needs to be at the center in case it comes in early.

If the sensor is bad, you have a chance for a new sensor- I would do it. Of course, I also have the M9 and M8. The latter is a great back-up camera.

Thanks guys! I'll weigh in my options. The Leica Store in Greenbelt, Makati is opening this October 29 AFAIK (or November 5 as Vince stated), so this is also a very good option. And it's also a good suggestion to wait for the availability of the replacement sensor before sending it in, this way I will have the MM with me. I'll see what I can do. Cheers!

Back