Leica Montreal with the M

VINCETAN

Top Veteran
A couple of weeks ago (Christmas week), my family and I drove up to Montreal for our winter vacation. I took with me my trusty M 240 and 3 lenses. The 28mm Elmarit ASPH, 50mm Summilux ASPH and the 90mm APO Summicron. I had so much anxiety as to what lens to bring but just decided to go on the lighter side. Hind sight, I could probably ditch the 90 as it seems to stay in the hotel room most of the time. I did use the 50mm lux for portrait shots but 28mm Elmarit was on that camera most of the time. With 2 lenses, even with a very small camera bag, I find myself wishing the camera to be lighter. Prior to that, I was dead set on buying a SL in the next few months but now, I am not too sure anymore. I truly wish that the new M is lighter than the 240. Anyway, here are a few shots using the 28 Elmarit.

31913251752_fd47eb4a96_b.jpg
L1002672.jpg
by VINCE, on Flickr

31913256082_f3119330bc_b.jpg
L1002458-Edit.jpg
by VINCE, on Flickr

31913261662_3da149186f_b.jpg
L1002670-Edit.jpg
by VINCE, on Flickr

31913267352_ee74b83a0d_b.jpg
L1002155.jpg
by VINCE, on Flickr

Beautiful colour and shots here. I find for travel that the ZM25 2.8 stays on my M240 nearly all the time although it's not a comfortable fl for me generally. This 28mm looks better though :)

I have the pre-asph 35/1.4 Lux. It has character. I cannot afford the FLE version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the mid 90's, I purchased a 35mm Lux ASPH (pre-FLE) Titanium for use with my M6. I used to love that lens and in fact, was my only lens at one point. I still have that lens but just don't use it much anymore. It is definitely heavier than my 28mm Elmarit ASPH. I just don't like the image I get with it as much as when I was using it with the M6 or even as a 50 on the M8.2. Funny thing is, back in the days when I was carrying the M6 or the M8.2, I really never like the 28mm focal length.

Nicely done, Vince! I need to get to Montreal some day.

Like you, I wish Leica would focus on a more compact M-mount. Yesterday I just got the M9 out to shoot, and really noticed the size and weight compared with a Pen-F that I shoot lately.

Thanks Carl. With the big winter jacket and a pinched nerve in my neck, carrying the M with 3 lenses became unbearable. I ended up just carrying the lightest possible lens I have, which is the 28mm. The other concern was the snow. It was snowing hard and not knowing how good the weather sealing is in the M is kind of scary. But both lens and camera survived the ordeal. Funny how I never had to worry about that when shooting with an M4 back in the old days. I wish Leica would reintroduce a new CL/CLE body. I still prefer the Optical view finder but maybe with focus peaking overlay of some sort or even focus confirmation. We are always asking way too much.

Vince, I know how you feel. Some years ago, I had a case of "frozen shoulders," first one, then the other. Between the two shoulders, it lasted about a year and a half. I simply could not carry my M outfit with several lenses--too painful. That's when I discovered Micro 4/3. At that time, the Panasonic G1 was quite a come-down from Leica, but it was better than taking no pictures at all. Today, the Olympus E-M5 is my "un-rangerfinder." It's not a "decisive moment" camera, but the image quality is significantly better than the M9 generation, and the prime lenses from Olympus and Panasonic are small, light and superb. Still, Leica RF are where my heart is. I find myself using the E-M5 for most travel, because it's the most versatile and the gives the most for its weight. But for people pictures and specific events or outings where an RF would be better, it's still the M8 or MM. When I take an M, I usually bring just a 50 and a 35. I've been using my 90 Summicron mostly on the E-M5 with an adapter--it makes a superb theater and concert lens.

Another weight reducer is to use slower lenses if they can do the job. A Summicron is lighter than a Summilux, and the little Voigtlanders (35/2.5, 28/3.5, 90/3.5) are lighter still, and great lenses. Black lenses are lighter than chrome.

--Peter

Peter,

I actually still have the G1 that I bought when it was first introduced. If I am not mistaken, it was the first Micro 4/3rd camera. I still use it for mostly my R lenses with an adapter. I love the ergonomics of the camera. With its old tech EVF and small sensor, it still can provide great images.

Back