More gear musings + advice request sony A7R

pniev

Student for life
After using the fuji x-pro1 for a while now and monitoring the E-M1, A7/A7R, Df developments, I've decided to stick to Fuji for now. At least for general shooting and city trips. I've sold the 18mm and 60mm lenses and purchased the 14mm and 23mm lenses. So I'll have 21mm, ~35mm, and ~50mm 35mmEq. in the bag. Although the 23mm weighs 300gr. it is comfortable to use with the x-pro1.

Having said that. I also need something for high-resolution shots, especially macro, landscape large prints, and wildlife. My initial thought was to add the Nikon D800E to the collection. But the Sony A7R sounds really appealing too, especially for my back. So I am seriously considering the A7R instead of the D800E. I am thinking about 2 lenses initially: in the 21-24mm range for landscape, a 1:1 macro lens in the 100-150mm range, and a 300mm lens. Do you have any suggestions regarding lenses that fit well with the sony A7R in those ranges? Perhaps you may have read or heard something. Personal experience is even better. I don't need fast aperture lenses. Zoom would be OK too. Any help is much appreciated. I am not sure what I will do but your suggestions will greatly help in the thinking process.

With respect to macro, the Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar sounds really attractive but it's incredibly expensive. And I don't know if it can be mounted to Sony (yes, I admit. I am not familiar with sony).

thanks, Peter

A7R e-mount doesn't have those lenses and will take couple years maybe to get wide/macro primes... However you can adopt any lens to Sony w/ adapters except a few wide rangefinder lenses which have corner problems...

Voigtlander 125mm is a fine lens, but expensive. Which mount are you going to have?

There are Sony adapters which enables you to attach any Sony A mount lens which includes the Zeiss lenses, primes, and zooms. One adapter comes w/ mirror, so the af speed is same as using dslrs. However Sony A mount has the sensor stabilization so most of the lenses doesn't have lens stabilization.

Also there is Canon EF-Sony e-mount af adapter which enables you IS (image stabilization) and slow af. I prefer to have IS w/ lenses... Canon has lots of new glass with very good resolutions. There are also Zeiss ZE/ZF lines you can adapt which has the perfect Zeiss 21mm 2.8 & 100mm 2 Makro lenses if you don't mind the size of the lenses. Zeiss Makros are 2:1 so not full 100%. You can see the adapter w/ supported lenses that af:
Metabones®

Other option is older legacy glass and you can find an adapter for most of the mounts produced to date... Older Vivitar 90-105 macro lenses are very good also...So far I used ltm/m rf glass and M42, OM, ZF, EF, Contax c/y slr lenses on my nex cameras. Some of the slr lenses and adaptors were from Canon/Sigma dslr days...

I see also many Leica R users are waiting for this camera, some samples w/ Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/60 & Leica Vario-Emarit-R 1:2.8-4.5/28-90 Asph:
Dropbox - Error

Thanks, Serhan. Much appreciated.
So basically I can look for any lens that can be attached to a Sony E mount, including FF-lenses. Legacy glass is definitely an option!
Peter

I'd go the Canon EF or Sony DSLR lens route. Lenses designed specifically for a FF digital sensor. It kind of kills the size advantage of the A7 but you'll at least have a body where there may be more compact lenses available for at some point, unlike the Nikon.

Back