krugorg

All-Pro
Name
Kyle Krug
More Olympus OM-D EM-5 images | Photo Rumors

Olympus-OM-D-EM-5.jpeg

Olympus-OM-D-EM-5-flash.jpeg

Olympus-OM-D-EM-5-back.jpeg

After all the hoopla, I am still pretty excited about this camera, mostly because the images make it look like the size will be similar to the E-P3, with just a peak in the middle for the EVF (no protrusion forward and back adding to depth). That size body with a built-in EVF, tilt-screen, IBIS and the latest m4/3 sensor sounds like a nice upgrade.

I had not previously heard about the flip screen except various mentions here, but that little grippy thing on the upper right corner of the LCD looks pretty much like similar grippy things on the EPL3 and, IIRC, the Nex 5. So it seems this is for sure which I'm very excited by. I may or may not buy this - don't know if another m43 body is in my immediate future, but the combination of a flip up screen and a built in evf (without a big hump or rearward extension) is pretty much everything I've wanted in an m43 cam. Sort of the best of the EPL3, the EP3, and the Nex 7 in one body. If the sensor buys another stop of low light performance, so much the better, although m43 still won't win many high ISO contests...

Cool stuff - great to see.

-Ray

It looks exciting indeed! But if there's no rearward extension, it means that we'd be mashing our face even more into the LCD to access the EVF. Better get a really good LCD cover to minimize the grease smear! Or maybe just close the flip screen, if possible. Personally, I'd rather have the EVF to the side.

I've suddenly become very interested. I don't think I had registered that the OM-D would be small. Remembering the film OMs I figured it was going to be big like the E-5, so I never did any research or reading about it

The only actual measurement I have seen, and of course this was a rumor, was for the width, which was the same as the E-P3. When I look at the images, it seems like the depth could be roughly the same... even the tilt LCD looks a bit more recessed than the E-PL3. Oh well, we shall know more in a week! :D

It looks exciting indeed! But if there's no rearward extension, it means that we'd be mashing our face even more into the LCD to access the EVF. Better get a really good LCD cover to minimize the grease smear! Or maybe just close the flip screen, if possible. Personally, I'd rather have the EVF to the side.

Okay... I think you are right Armando. Looking at the pictures again, especially the flash closeup, and the mockup on photorumors site, it does look like it there will be a bit of EVF extension on the back, at least protruding over the LCD a bit. How much clearence would you need with a top center EVF like that? Could it tilt up a bit, so your cheek wouldn't be flush against the screen?

From the pictures it looks to me like the EVF might extend when in use. That would bring it away from the LCD.

That would be super cool! I think I can see that on the hotshoe/evf image.... or maybe I am staring at the picture too long, kind of like one of those hidden image posters? I better head over to Dan's GASaholics thread....

The viewfinder area does look quite messy so it may be extendable to reduce nose-smooshing. The whole camera is starting to look smaller than I had expected. I wonder if there is a buiilt-in flash at all on the left side of the top plate. The hump is looking like a flash-free zone.

FWIW from these images it looks delicious some serious Industrial design with a touch retro ... so much cooler than the Plastic fantastic GH2 with speckled finish lol
One unknown is will it support PDAF if so its a winner even if the body has the latest 16MP 43 sensor G3 or better still the HG2 sensor

For A3 prints 16MP quite adequate :)

Magazine Advert Photo of OMD EM-5

Call me a fanboy, but I reckon it looks good - like a real camera ( hint Sony, Pentax ...) and it's WR for real world use - finally!
But still reckon that the original OM-x look the best :dance3:

Olympus-OMD.jpg

Back