Ricoh More on GXR M-mount module

vincechu

Veteran
Hi guys, just came across a new entry over at Ricoh's GR blog, which shows:
  • The lens Checker
  • In camera lens corrections: Vignetting, distortion and colour casting
  • Focus aids: peaking/contrast method, magnified view
  • Lens setting saving/loading
  • Mentions that the shutter can be closed between lens changing to reduce risk of dust
  • Eye candy and product images a few samples - the unit is better looking than I though ;-)

article at Ricoh's blog

GXR

Google translated version:

Google Translate

Looks very promising from what I've seen so far.

Edit: more eye candy and info on features such as MF assist here at DC watch:

Google Translate

I also had the chance to use one over the weekend for a few hours and have posted my impressions here:

Cristian Sorega Photography: GXR Mount A12 Preview

Here some of the main points.

- The bulge on the side for the shutter is actually great in use since it fits your hand very well and makes focusing the lenses very comfortable.

- You have the choice between two modes and different mangnification ratios.
The first mode is similar to the peaking mode you can find in the Sony NEX cameras with the difference that the conrast areas don't appear in red but shimmer white/grey, this works very well but I would like to maybe see an option to choose the colour in a firmware update.
The 2nd mode and my favourite is a kind of high pass filter mode, you have to see this in action to fully appreciate how great it works. After using it, I can honestly say this is simply the best and fastest way to manually focus.

- The physical shutter is very quiet, especially when compared with the GF1 or RD1 but even the Sony NEX-3, I would go as far as to say it's the quetest shutter on any mirrorless camera but have not had enough experience with Leica M cameras. The ability to close it when the camera is powered off is great and something other manufacturers should do.
The electronic shutter is only available as a scene mode and requires full manual control when it's enabled. Ricoh says it shoudl not be used for moving subjects but I took pictures of people and when moving myself without any problems.

- The sensor, Ricoh has said they have modified it to work with a wide range of lenses and especially wideangle lenses, which are always a bit problematic. As you can see from the pictures above the sensor is certainly improved and from the looks there is also no AA filter in place. Ricoh has confirmed that the glass filter they mention in the presws release is more an IR filter and to help eliminate any lens aberrations. The image quality is certainly much better than what you get from a GF1 with m-adapter but also better than what the RD1 achieves and without the heavy vignetting (especially when using the Heliar lens).

Cristian, thank you so much for sharing your impressions - and photographs - via you blog of this very important GXR M-mount module! Will you be buying this do you think - I'm guessing that you will be.

I have never experienced these cameras but can see that they offer many options, especially to those who have a supply of great lenses.

I will be buying one, this is clear. It's a great module and now with the other 2 A12 modules it makes a great travel combo.

Ricoh cameras have some of the best handling and controls you will find and the GR lenses are also very high quality, all that was missing was a module to be able to swap lenses and now there is one.

try send SRS an email? They're generally very good with prices, I once asked them to price match a GXR set up from somewhere else and they actually beat the price. Have to say I did pass on the GXR and bought my k5 from them instead.

Back