News More proof that the smartphone is killing the camera market.

It looks like that's only for the Japanese market?

It's the numbers for Japanese manufacturers regardless of market. If you look at the actual numbers at CIPA, they will break it out by region: Japan, Europe, Americas. So it applies to the world wide production for Japanese manufacturers like Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Fuji. I guess Leica could be making up the difference. ;)

It's the numbers for Japanese manufacturers regardless of market. If you look at the actual numbers at CIPA, they will break it out by region: Japan, Europe, Americas. So it applies to the world wide production for Japanese manufacturers like Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Fuji. I guess Leica could be making up the difference. ;)

Well, it says "Japanese 2012 market analysis", and also a couple of the commentators after the article mention the stats are for the Japanese market. Looking at the first chart, I find the #1 ranking of the Nikon J1 perplexing, and contrary to Amazon's list of best-selling CSCs.

Also, the article states, "In the Japanese DSLR segment Sony has a 6,1% share". If you look at the second chart, the Sony DSLR models listed add up to 6.1%.

Anyway, even if those figures are for worldwide, I don't think it's necessarily correct to draw the conclusion that smartphones are impacting sales of CSCs, DSLRs, etc. There's been some stagnation in the ILC market for over a year in terms of marketable features, people have been waiting for "affordable" FF for some time and may be hesitant to upgrade, waiting for the "next big thing".

Well, it says "Japanese 2012 market analysis", and also a couple of the commentators after the article mention the stats are for the Japanese market. Looking at the first chart, I find the #1 ranking of the Nikon J1 perplexing, and contrary to Amazon's list of best-selling CSCs.

Also, the article states, "In the Japanese DSLR segment Sony has a 6,1% share". If you look at the second chart, the Sony DSLR models listed add up to 6.1%.

Anyway, even if those figures are for worldwide, I don't think it's necessarily correct to draw the conclusion that smartphones are impacting sales of CSCs, DSLRs, etc. There's been some stagnation in the ILC market for over a year in terms of marketable features, people have been waiting for "affordable" FF for some time and may be hesitant to upgrade, waiting for the "next big thing".

Did you go to the CIPA website and look at the actual numbers like I suggested in my previous post?

"Shipments of Digital Still Cameras to Japan (Classified by Model)"
"Shipments of Digital Still Cameras to Europe(Classified by Model)"
"Shipments of Digital Still Cameras to Americas (Classified by Model)"
"Shipments of Digital Still Cameras to Other Areas (Classified by Model)"

Phones can do a pretty good job of getting those snapshot photos.
But, it seems to me more people I know say they want better options. Yet most times when I am out it seems like I am the only one with a dedicated camera...

Back