Olympus More thoughts about the Olympus TG-6

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Back in September, 2017, I posted the following here:

“Let's suppose for a moment that you've been invited to document an expedition where you might be exposed to all sorts of weather conditions and environmental hazards (except being underwater). You have to get the pictures, and the camera has to be dead reliable. You can choose any camera/lens combo or any fixed lens camera, but it has to have some sort of viewfinder.

What would you choose, and why?”

I have now at least a partial answer. I would certainly take an Olympus M1 of some sort and the 13-150 lens. They offer outstanding performance and worthy weather resistance, but the lens in not unbreakable, as I have proved by falling with that camera/lens combo slung behind my back.

OLY TG6.jpg

But I would also, certainly, take the Olympus TG-6 Tough Camera. I’ve come to the conclusion that this is a serious camera, capable of delivering really good results under trying conditions. Olympus claims it is “Waterproof, Shockproof, Dustproof, Crushproof and Freezeproof.” It offers 25-100mm focal range, with f/2 at the wide end. A single button-push will engage a digital tele-converter to double the reach to 200mm. It also has a very slick implementation of manual focus.

The TG-6 apparently uses the same image processor as the Oly M-1X, and you can make lots and lots of adjustments to its operation through the (typical) Olympus menu system. You can, for example, choose “Vivid” picture mode and then adjust sharpness, contrast, saturation, and gradation within that picture mode. If you like to make a lot of adjustments while you are shooting, I can see why some might find the Olympus menus tiring. But since I tend to operate in “set it and forget it” mode, I don’t.

The TG-6 is smaller than my Canon G12, which had been my “take it everywhere” camera. In a small padded case containing 3 additional batteries as well as the camera, it slips easily into a coast pocket.

Because others reported that the rear screen scratches easily, I’ve added a tempered glass screen protector.

tg6screenprotector.jpg

A manual leaf-type lens protector graces the front,

tg6lenscover.jpg

and finally a 3-bay battery charger and batteries fill out the accessories I’ve purchased.

tg6batterycharger.jpg

The TG-6 has become my constant photographic companion, and should I receive a future assignment, it will go with me in addition to whatever “big gun” I select.

The only downside is that the TG-6 does not have an optical or electronic viewfinder.

In my mind, the TG-6 is much more than simply a waterproof camera; it is a very good pocket camera that also happens to be very tough.

skies 010 B.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers, Jock

I wonder how the TG-6 would compare to a XZ2. You get a bigger sensor and the possibility for a VF.

When it comes to 'all sorts of weather conditions and environmental hazards' the XZ2 would be just as likely to not survive the trip as most other cameras, so nice as it is, it's not suited for this scenario.

Olympus E-M5 / E-M1 or Nikon Z would be my first choice for rugged, weather sealed interchangeable lens cameras.

As for hurricane / dust storm / waterfall / full submersion / salt water / getting dropped or slammed into things cameras, that's either a very bulky housing for whichever camera you prefer, or a waterproof compact. The latter category has unfortunately been hit by the smartphone revolution just like other compacts.

The Olympus TG-singledigit range is without doubt the highest regarded series still available on the market, although Panasonic, Pentax, Nikon, and Fuji still make competitors - with updates being few and far between, and meaningful updates being even rarer over the last 5 years or so.

There have been a few larger sensored waterproof cameras over the past 10 years: Nikon 1 AW1 interchangeable lens camera with 1"sensor and two available waterproof lenses, SeaLife DC2000 compact with 1" sensor and 31mm equivalent f/1.7 lens, and the Leica X-U with APS-C sensor and 35mm equivalent f/1.7 lens. All have unfortunately been discontinued.

I have the SeaLife DC2000, its image quality is a very clear step ahead of the Olympus TG-2 I borrowed before getting the DC2000 (regular Sony 1"sensor ISO performance and dynamic range, coupled with a good sharp lens making good use of the 20mp on offer). Its waterproofing is also top notch (18m out of the box, 60m with included housing), but its 1 shot per 5 seconds in raw mode makes it effectively a jpeg only camera in most situations, dulling its image quality advantage.

So yes, Jock, I think you have bought yourself the best rugged compact available out there, although I wish someone would make a larger sensor, fast prime competitor. And on the ILC front you also got what would've been my #1 choice for the stated purpose.

Back