Mother's Day Weekend in New York City

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
My wife and I spent a long weekend in New York over the past few days. Stayed in the heart of the Village near Washington Square Park. Didn't do a lot of shooting but managed a few sessions. I thought I was just going to take the Nikon A, but grabbed the Fuji XE2 at the last minute as well as a few lenses. Shot some with each. A bit of street, but more typical NYC scenery around Central Park, Brooklyn Heights, etc. And a bunch of street on Sunday morning down around Chinatown and Little Italy with the Nikon - there was a VERY strong Mother's Day feel to those shot because so many generations of mothers were out with various children and grandchildren...

I'll start with a few scenic shots:

14170307381_40bce9fb16_h.jpg
NYC Monday-74-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

13969193667_4396e328a2_h.jpg
New York-169-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

7th Avenue on a typical nice evening - this city just pulses with life. The XE2 did well enough in low light that I really didn't miss the RX1 at all except a little bit when it came time to process the files:

View attachment 913117th Avenue by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 91312NYC Monday-69-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

A companion piece to one I did a couple of years ago, looking in the other direction when I first had an X-Pro:

View attachment 91313New York-171-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

The guy walking into the shot in a hat had two XE-2 bodies strapped to his shoulder - one with the 10-24 and the other the 18-55:

View attachment 91314NYC Monday-28-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

13986986119_c7723730ca_h.jpg
NYC Monday-56-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 91316NYC Monday-40-Edit-2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

And some street shots:

View attachment 91317NYC Mother's Day-227-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 91318NYC Mother's Day-171-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 91319NYC Mother's Day-176-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

View attachment 91320New York-111-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

Nobody's phased by ANYTHING in NYC - even Spiderman walking down the street toward them:

View attachment 91321New York-121-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

And of course Washington Square is always the greatest scene anywhere ever:

View attachment 91322NYC Mother's Day-22-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

More in my Flickr stream for anyone interested...

-Ray

I just got back from New York on Sunday on the overnight flight from Newark to Edinburgh. Watched the Lego Movie on the plane and the "Everything is Awesome" song has somehow managed to imprint itself in my brain. I'm exhausted but there is a little manic voice inside my head bursting out the first line of the song ... continuously! Pretty much sums up my experience of New York. Manic, exhausting and awesome! I blame the M&Ms! Will definitely go back.

Always love to look at your pictures Ray, thanks for sharing.

I just got back from New York on Sunday on the overnight flight from Newark to Edinburgh. Watched the Lego Movie on the plane and the "Everything is Awesome" song has somehow managed to imprint itself in my brain. I'm exhausted but there is a little manic voice inside my head bursting out the first line of the song ... continuously! Pretty much sums up my experience of New York. Manic, exhausting and awesome! I blame the M&Ms! Will definitely go back.

Always love to look at your pictures Ray, thanks for sharing.

So we were actually there at the same time, if only for a day or so? I used to find New York exhausting but don't anymore. Once you get out of midtown the neighborhoods have a totally different rhythm - much saner.

I look forward to seeing what you shot there Karen - I know it'll be a treat...

-Ray

We arrived in New York around rush hour on Tuesday 29th April. Hundreds of people flying past us in Penn Station. I did wonder how I would cope. I used to get annoyed at Edinburgh Waverley train station when it was busy. Now I realise I really didn't know what "busy" was! Thankfully we found our way pretty quickly. But we were always on the go. Even the days we were in Central Park or down on Coney Island, it was all go, go, go. Next time I come to New York I will definitely take it slower!

I kept wondering if you would be there at the same time, walking the same streets as we were.

We arrived in New York around rush hour on Tuesday 29th April. Hundreds of people flying past us in Penn Station. I did wonder how I would cope. I used to get annoyed at Edinburgh Waverley train station when it was busy. Now I realise I really didn't know what "busy" was! Thankfully we found our way pretty quickly. But we were always on the go. Even the days we were in Central Park or down on Coney Island, it was all go, go, go. Next time I come to New York I will definitely take it slower!

I kept wondering if you would be there at the same time, walking the same streets as we were.

If you left on the Saturday night redeye, we only overlapped by about a day. But yeah, I was out on Saturday for sure. I used to get really overwhelmed by New York, but once I realized mid-town was was just a very small slice of New York City, I started to really fall in love with the place. Trying to walk through midtown anywhere close to a weekday rush-hour is one of my LEAST favorite things to do and makes me hate the place. But hanging out in Chelsea, the Village (east, west, and central), Soho, Grammercy, the Flatiron, anywhere near the park, etc changes the whole feel of the place. We walked up Broadway through midtown on Saturday morning when it was only a little bit crazy. We passed through it a couple more times but on the subway. Which just gets pretty crowded for a few stops before it eases up again... If I could afford a place in one of the neighborhoods, I'd probably live there someday, but I think I'll have to make do with a week or two here and there as the opportunities arise...

I saw the few shots you have up on your Flickr stream - you caught a Yankee's game! Prety cool. And the Roosevelt Island tram - I've yet to do that.

-Ray

I like this one. Although it looks like somewhere in Turkey.

Thanks. Right smack in the middle of Central Park. Here's the companion shot from the other direction taken a couple of years ago. It's not as big as it looks in these shots, which were both done with relatively wide angle lenses. But I can't seem to spend any time in New York without snapping a few of this area near the fountain...

6952572368_83e843db05_h.jpg
NYC 4/20/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Back