Micro 4/3 moving focus points

lucien

Legend
Hi again, I can't seem to change my focus point in camera. I have back button autofocus set up [AEL] button. I can move the point with the dials and change the focus point options but it only highlights the center focus point in green when I press the [AEL] button. In Manual mode. Why can't I move it around the screen through the evf? it moves on the back screen but it's center through the evf. I want to use off center focus once in awhile, not center point all the time

thanks,

Focus the point you want to get sharp and keep holding down the camera shutter release half-way down so it holds the point you chose, then shift the camera and get the image composition you want and ... release.
That's at least my way of making sure the focal sharpness lies exactly at the spot I want.
The rest is a question of focal aperture you choose.

I've disabled 1/2 press shutter release. I'm back button auto-focus. [AEL] button. Don't know how that is going to work? This method should work with the [AEL] button as well. So use the center point for the object I want, keep holding the AEL button down, recompose then hit the shutter release? I'll try it.

Hi again, I can't seem to change my focus point in camera. I have back button autofocus set up [AEL] button. I can move the point with the dials and change the focus point options but it only highlights the center focus point in green when I press the [AEL] button. In Manual mode. Why can't I move it around the screen through the evf? it moves on the back screen but it's center through the evf. I want to use off center focus once in awhile, not center point all the time

thanks,
If you want to use the focus target instead of reframing while holding focus (half-press) - as you said "I want to use off center focus once in awhile, not center point all the time" - you have to set it up properly using the Menu options in the Custom Menu (with the "wheel"), in the numbers A1, etc area. The A2 and A3 options have a bunch of AF/MF settings and how the target buttons operate, how you can use the touch screen, etc; reset the home position (center), etc.

It is pretty complicated, I think; I have my E-M1.3 and E-M5.3 working as I want, but it took me a lot of fussing with those menus to get it right.

I agree with you that reframing is not always desirable, especially when when using a tripod. I mean, you have your camera image framed exactly the way you want, but you want to focus on a particular part of what you are seeing, so you don't want to reframe just to get a different focus point. That's why they have those other focus areas - to leave the framing alone but focus away from the center.

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exactly my dilemma. I've sorted out the Sony. Not that complicated. But the Oly will take me some time. And the Nikon just works. Push the AEL button to focus, and choose which focus point you want/where. There is even a button to unlock the damn thing. And to reset it just press OK. Done !!!

Thanks,

I have my EM1-mk1 setup so I can move the focus points.
But I do not remember what I had to do, to do that. I don't think it was difficult.
But, I also do not use BBF. The half press works fine for me.

But, I also do not use BBF. The half press works fine for me.
I don't use BBF either, but I don't see any reason why it would complicate or change the principle. To focus, either you half-press with the regular setup, or you push the back button for a BBF setup. When you do that, it focuses but does not trip the shutter. So BBF should still do that as in a normal setup, I should think. So any settings you have that work with what to focus on and where that focus point is in the frame should still act the same. I think. :)

I don't use BBF either, but I don't see any reason why it would complicate or change the principle. To focus, either you half-press with the regular setup, or you push the back button for a BBF setup. When you do that, it focuses but does not trip the shutter. So BBF should still do that as in a normal setup, I should think. So any settings you have that work with what to focus on and where that focus point is in the frame should still act the same. I think. :)

I just checked my mk1.
I don't even have to half press the shutter to intiate moving the AF point.
I simply use the D-pad to move the AF point.

So, it should work the same with BBF.

I did not test with BBF.
Cuz I did not want to have to figure out how to reconfigure the camera for BBF.

But again, I do not remember what if anything I did to make it work like that.

Back