Fuji Moving forward in reverse

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
This time of year, when things are slower for me shooting wise, I like to analyze my shooting from the previous year. Also giving thought to what I know I will be shooting over the coming months. Doing this informs me on what areas I need work in on shooting techniques, as well as what gear changes I may need to make. Combined with all of the normal information available to me, like exif data, I also have the nearly unlimited resources available on the net.

This go around, after looking over photos, articles, exif, talking with people, etc. I came to some interesting findings. This has led me to make some changes in reverse to my shoot kit. One of my discoveries is that, while I absolutely love rangefinder bodies. I shoot a lot better with a gripped(either addon or built in) SLR style bodies. Even with the rangefinder body I shot with, the X-Pro2, being a newer, more advanced body than the SLR style body I was shooting with, the X-T1. I believe that part of it is muscle memory of shooting gripped SLRs for many years. I came to Fuji from Canon 1D series bodies.

I noticed my work wasn't as good as it should be. I sold my 16-55/50-140 pair due to thinking that having been a life long prime shooter, I just wasn't getting it with the zooms. But, in retrospect, it was more the awkwardness I felt shooting them on the Pro2 body. Not having the vertical controls/shutter button when in portrait orientation really throws me off. As well as the camera always felt out of balance with all but the smallest of lenses, like the 35mm f2.

Going forward into 2017, knowing that I am shooting a lot of portraits. Coupled with two major events, and several smaller events. I have sold my Pro2 bodies and reacquired my X-T1 from my dad who had bought it from me for a backup. I have also purchased another 16-55/50-140 pair, and have the 35mm 1.4. This is the kit I am going to shoot with, possibly adding a 56mm for portrait and low light work.

I am sharing this because sometimes the gear does matter. Ultimately, yes it is the photographer who is responsible for how good or bad the photo is. But having the right tool is important. Equally important is understanding what tool is the right tool. Selecting the proper gear is equally important as choosing the composition. The X-Pro2 is one of the best cameras out there. As it turns out, the X-Pro2 is not the right tool for me.

Thanks @BobbyT
My experience (limited) and future plans are very different from yours, but your reasoning helps me understand my own preferences. I have reaffirmed my satisfaction with my X-T2, 10-24, and 55-200. Still thinking about my other 2 lenses, but your thought processes are helpful.

This is an excellent excercise, Bobby... one that most of us could benefit from trying periodically.

Wow... you sold off both of your X-Pro 2s. I'm still planning on buying one myself but it won't happen until after my X-T20 arrives. But your impressions about using zooms on that camera ring true.

My plans are to essentially use only the 23, 35 and 50mm f/2.0 primes with WR on it. The zooms (18-55 and 50-200) will be used on the X-T20.

I'm not sure about my first-generation primes: 14, 18, 27, 35 and 60mm. They could probably work on either camera - the 35 when I need especially fast glass. We'll see how my usage patterns turn out over the next year or two.

I know it is probably me. But since selling off the Pro2's and getting a X-T1/grip and 16-55, my images are like my original work with the 16-55 which made me love that lens. It was definitely the best move for me.

I highly recommend for people to periodically review their work. It can reveal a lot about how one shoots along with which gear does and does not work for them.

@Biro sounds like you are on to a solid plan. I have nothing bad to say about the Pro2. It is an excellent camera. And I love the rangefinder bodies. Just not the best for how I have trained my brain/body to work.

Back