MP3 is no longer supported??

Mobile Data is expensive still - granted, I'm a real cheap guy - but I love the fact that I have 6GB data, unlimited calling and text for 45 bucks per month pre-paid - I'm laughing all the way to the Bank compared to what post-paid users shell out per month. That's why streaming is less important to me than storage space - I'll gladly pay cents on the GB to carry more MP3s. Not to mention streaming sometimes just doesn't work - if you're in a poor signal area, or the service just hiccups on a track and skips you the next one - sometimes even further. Even though I'm finally in an office that has a partitioned WiFi for personal use, even the quality of streaming is sometimes bottlenecked. Download, hit play.

What I will not do is pay for my music yet again by subscribing to Apple Music or any other pay streaming service.

I'm on a Apple Music family plan. My family members love streaming, and couldn't care less about owning music. And I like it to get to know new stuff. Which I buy when I do like it. But to be honest, I fell off the new music wagon a few years back. I mostly seem to buy stuff that was big when I was in college, or new bands that sound like old ones. Another good thing about Apple Music for me is the ability to upload my music that is not in their catalogue (like Tool, or old local bands), so it's available on any device I have with an internet connection.

Still use a couple of iPod Classics...
Mrs. Kevin & I still have some Zune 120gb devices in the house, even got the "Gear of War" collectors edition. :D
Streaming services are great for discovering new stuff
Oddly, I don't use it for that and rarely listen to newer stuff. Most of my listening material from the 60's to early 90's. There is stuff I listen to before & after that range of course but when listening it's mostly older stuff.
Another good thing about Apple Music for me is the ability to upload my music that is not in their catalogue
Google Play Music allowed me to do the same thing. It's a shame that Google is trying to migrate away from Google Play to YouTube Music instead since YouTube Music doesn't offer the option of uploading your own library.

It's a shame that Google is trying to migrate away from Google Play to YouTube Music instead s
That's one of the big problems of streaming services.
You're kind of at the mercy of the streaming provider. Even if you curated playlists, etc. - at any point they can change the way they want you to use it - or completely shut down.

It's a similar problem with movies. Most of the movies older than 1980ish simply aren't available as streaming. (Often never will be - because it's impossible or very hard to sort out the rights.)

There's streaming services like "Filmstruck" used to be - trying to offer more classic movies. But they had to shut down.
Let's hope that the upcoming "Criterion Channel" will be more successful.

Mobile Data is expensive still - granted, I'm a real cheap guy - but I love the fact that I have 6GB data, unlimited calling and text for 45 bucks per month pre-paid - I'm laughing all the way to the Bank compared to what post-paid users shell out per month. That's why streaming is less important to me than storage space - I'll gladly pay cents on the GB to carry more MP3s. Not to mention streaming sometimes just doesn't work - if you're in a poor signal area, or the service just hiccups on a track and skips you the next one - sometimes even further. Even though I'm finally in an office that has a partitioned WiFi for personal use, even the quality of streaming is sometimes bottlenecked. Download, hit play.

Google Play music allows you to select playlist you want to have stored locally. I use this for my travel playlists when I know we will have shady cell service. This works even for the tracks I don't outright own. It re-checks your licenses each month when you pay, so you have at least 28 days of worry free listening.

Google Play music allows you to select playlist you want to have stored locally. I use this for my travel playlists when I know we will have shady cell service. This works even for the tracks I don't outright own. It re-checks your licenses each month when you pay, so you have at least 28 days of worry free listening.

I mostly use Google Play Music as a storage service - I've uploaded all my CDs and other collections to it. Then I can selectively download what I want. I think I've made perhaps two album purchases since I became a user. All my music actually fits on my Pixelbook LOL, which goes to show you I have a very small collection. My Pixel phone has a smaller subset of commuter music.

this is rapidly turning into a rambling thread about how people stream, so I may as well ask here. I'd like ability to upload my own tracks to a streaming service, but don't wish to use Apple and heard Google was changing it's mode. Does anyone know of any other services that offer that one functionality I am looking for?

I use Apple Match too. Since they opened up to seemingly unlimited storage I have uploaded a lot of obscure music digitized from LPs and CDs. Also, my family used th Apple Music so I have access to that.
But there is a whole lot of music that isn't available to stream or download either.
Things that are cheap or free and exchangeable (like music from a streaming service), will be appreciated different than something you had to pay your hard earned money for.
Couldn't agree more.
Plus I believe artists are better compensated from actual sales than streaming.

Back