My back and forth between LR and C1 finally at an end....

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
Almost the entire time I have shot with Fuji, I have mainly used Capture One for my raw processing/editing. At one point even leaving Photoshop for Affinity Photo. This was due to C1 handling the Fuji files much better than LR. And on my editing computer, C1 ran faster. Some time in the last year to year 1/2, LR did some major catching up to C1 in regards to handling Fuji files as well as running much much faster. Also, we managed to figure out the best way to sharpen Fuji files in LR, eliminating the "worm problem".

Fast forwarding to now. I have been using C1 for the past year. Occasionally trying out LR again when I get a free 30 day trial from Adobe. Adobe offers these every so often if you cancel your subscription. The reason I always stuck with C1 is because of how the Fuji files were handled. The same image side by side exported from each looked technically better from C1.

Part of my recent slump in shooting, was that editing started to feel like work. About the same time I made the post about ways to get out of a slump. And deciding to get rid of "working gear" for gear I much more enjoy shooting with. Another offer from Adobe for a free 30 days came. So, while I'm having a do over, why not try my raw editor also. What I came to realize. Is that while the C1 images are still technically better. I prefer the look of the images from LR. Also that at some point I started judging my final images on the wrong criteria. I don't do much in the way of editing. A little contrast, sharpness, B&W conversion, etc. But I can do that now in LR in half the time as C1. So I am sticking with LR going forward.

Another thing I noticed is that final JPGs from C1 are huge for some reason. Nearly the same MB as the raw file. The final file from LR is more in line with the file size a JPG should be.

As usual, everyone's thoughts or experience is welcomed.

I shoot Sony FF these days and have used Lightroom for the last 10 years or so. i recently evaluated Fuji X100V sample raw files and couldn't find fault with the way Lightroom handles them, so even if I'd add an X100V to my outfit, I'd stick with Lightroom because I really don't want to go through another learning curve.

Coming from PS CS2 & Silver Efex, Capture One for Nikon has been a boon for me. Much faster, simpler, higher quality usually. I consider the size of the jpgs to be within reason. I'm almost to the point where I feel I can turn off the RAW+jpg and go RAW only in camera but I'm still learning C1 so I like being able to look at what the camera produces alongside what I can squeeze out of the editor.

Capture One paired with Affinity Photo is an incredible tool set. Although, the way C1 is headed, Affinity Photo or Photoshop may not even be needed for most work. I’m just going with what is working best for me.

That's one thing that's sorely missing in Lightroom: masking capabilities. Sure, local adjustments go a long way but there's always that one picture which forces you to take it to Photoshop. C1 (Capture One) and On1 Photo Raw for instance offer masking, although not as advanced as in Photoshop.

Last time I checked On1 and C1 missed a few lens profiles I need. IIRC C1 didn't even offer a profile for the Zeiss Loxia 2/35 which has been around for years; Adobe is usually very quick in providing lens and camera profiles. I also like the ability to make my own lens profiles for legacy lenses, which doesn't seem to be possible in C1 and On1. I didn't check other raw editors like Darktable, RawTherapee, Iridient etc.; changing gear or raw editors detract from shooting, which is less optimal during the learning curve of a new camera, raw editor, lens, what have you, so I simply do not wish to spend the time to check all raw editors. And then there's the DAM part, where I feel Lightroom is the gold standard. YMMV of course.

I'm still on LR 6.14 and am ever hopeful SOMEBODY will come up with SOMETHING that comes close to LR's DAM functionality. I've been using LR since 0.9 but so far have refused to subscribe. So far I've lucked out and my cameras are still supported.

Serif are suppose to be working on a DAM to go with Affinity Photo and Camera Bits has a DAM beta with Photo Mechanic.

Serif are suppose to be working on a DAM to go with Affinity Photo and Camera Bits has a DAM beta with Photo Mechanic.

That would greatly be desired, but I think the bar is far too high for these "little guys" to ever be able to offer anything like what LR does. Luminar supposedly was doing it and has come up with less than a half-loaf. C1 has something better, but still nowhere near LR. DxO has been working on it for centuries :) and nothing. I think only Apple or Microsoft have the resources, and we've seen Apple kill Aperture and Microsoft never did anything with iView when they bought it, then let it sit on the shelf, then sold to Phase One, who have killed it. Of the current players/aspirants, only Adobe has the resources (engineers/cash and current customers) to be able to provide a competitive product in this space.

Rick

Last edited:
I enjoyed using Aperture until Apple abandoned the program. Switching to LR was relatively simple, but I just did not like the program. Switched to Capture One Fuji Pro--I only shoot Fuji--and have put some time into learning the intricacies of the program and found the program suits my workflow. I like being able to use catalogs or sessions for DAM. One feature of Capture One I've found useful is their webinars on getting the most from the program, saves lots of experimental time.

That would greatly be desired, but I think the bar is far too high for these "little guys" to ever be able to offer anything like what LR does. Luminar supposedly was doing it and has come up with less than a half-loaf. C1 has something better, but still nowhere near LR. DxO has been working on it for centuries :) and nothing. I think only Apple or Microsoft have the resources, and we've seen Apple kill Aperture and Microsoft never did anything with iView when they bought it, then let it sit on the shelf, then sold to Phase One, who have killed it. Of the current players/aspirants, only Adobe has the resources (engineers/cash and current customers) to be able to provide a competitive product in this space.

Rick
DXO PhotoLab is OK with a pretty nice user interface. But it doesn't support X-Trans sensors.

Exposure X5 isn't bad either, does have the option for including sub-directories while viewing in the library, which is nice.

I think my Adobe muscle memory is finally gone.
I'm starting to get faster with C1 and Affinity.

@Dean Smith I really like Sessions and catalogs.
For my simple DAM(n) requirements this is working out great. I feel more organized than ever.
But, I never really had a plan with LR. Had I one I probably wouldn't have ever left.

@Bobby Tingle Sounds like the scales are now tipped. Glad you figured it out.

A month and a half later I have run into a reason to give C1 another look. Saving money. Without getting too long winded, several things have my wife and I looking at ways to save money. Fortunately, they are all good. No emergencies. Our house will be paid off within a month. And I have more than enough years in to retire. But I am too young to collect any retirement money. So we are looking at different things to cut out monthly expenses to save up a bunch of money with the intention of retiring earlier than I would be able to draw money. Or moving when I do retire and being able to stay debt free.

Capture One comes in because I own it and Affinity Photo. While Adobe is just under $11 a month. Its a little expense that adds up over time. Combined with cutting a streaming service or two, things add up quickly. With me at a point where all photography will be as a hobby, cutting cost out of it makes more sense. I can get away with buying lights occasionally because I have a gear fund built up from selling off a bunch of stuff. And can always sell other stuff.

So with all that said, I'm giving C1 another go while I am off from work the next week and a half. And most likely switching back.

Back