My EX wife

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Name
Garry
My ex wife texted me this morning to tell me she just won a BMW Z4.
Isn't it nice when someone you know has good fortune.
FWIW , we are still the best of friends and she deserved the good luck.
In the past my inlaws won26K on the football results and my aunty won
4 million on the lotto.
Ps. I now know for sure that money doesn't buy happiness.

Do you know anyone that has been lucky enough to win a major prize ?

Perhaps a mod might like to change the title of this thread !!!

Mmmmm...I'm pretty sure I've told my wife I've "won" a camera or 2 as well. The office junior where I used to work won 2 million GBP in the UK National Lottery which was wonderful to witness.

At least 20 years ago, my wife's cousin won $17 million in the New York State lottery. This was just after his wife left, taking his daughter with her, and he was suffering from multiple sclerosis.

I mentioned this at a Monday morning staff meeting, and one of the guys there put his hand to his ear and faked a phone call: "Ah, honey, I've been thinking about it, and I got some help . . . and I'd like to come back . . ."

My understanding is that he bought, or had built, a house and put the deed and title in his daughter's name.

Cheers, Jock

At university, I had a professor who liked to call lotteries "a way to tax stupidity". He said the chances of getting killed in a traffic accident were far bigger than winning in a lottery. Still, people think they can win the lottery and survive traffic. Don't know if he ever knew anyone who won anything.

The office junior where I used to work won 2 million GBP in the UK National Lottery which was wonderful to witness.

Someone does actually win then? :D Since I know of no-one at all who has won anything (other than <£100 prizes) on the lottery since it was set up in 1994, the cynic in me has sometimes wondered whether the delighted 'winners' were just actors... :rolleyes-74:;)

Someone does actually win then? :D Since I know of no-one at all who has won anything (other than <£100 prizes) on the lottery since it was set up in 1994, the cynic in me has sometimes wondered whether the delighted 'winners' were just actors... :rolleyes-74:;)
I won £400 the week that Diana died. Since then it's been tenners (or less) all the way.

We have a concept called the postal code lottery here in Holland, where everyone living in a certain postal code zone wins, provided they play in the lottery. Some 10 years ago, the winning postal code was 1 neighbourhood next to ours, so quite a few vague acquaintances won up to tens of thousands of euros. Ofcourse, the one family we knew well had just stopped participating one or two months before, and thus missed out on approximately 50 thousand euros...

The one thing where I have never ever seen someone win big (you always win $2) is the scratch card. I don't suppose anyone's witnessed anyone they know ever getting the $50k prize?

At university, I had a professor who liked to call lotteries "a way to tax stupidity". He said the chances of getting killed in a traffic accident were far bigger than winning in a lottery. Still, people think they can win the lottery and survive traffic. Don't know if he ever knew anyone who won anything.
I think the odds are rather longer than that. Getting killed in a road traffic accident sadly isn't that rare. To pick another grisly end as a comparison, I think you have more chance of being struck by lightning over the course of a week than of winning the lottery on a Saturday night.

Actually, I once read that you have a better chance of correctly guessing the telephone number of a complete stranger at the first attempt than of picking all the correct numbers in the UK National Lottery. That's one of the reasons I've never played it.

-R

I think the odds are rather longer than that. Getting killed in a road traffic accident sadly isn't that rare. To pick another grisly end as a comparison, I think you have more chance of being struck by lightning over the course of a week than of winning the lottery on a Saturday night.

Actually, I once read that you have a better chance of correctly guessing the telephone number of a complete stranger at the first attempt than of picking all the correct numbers in the UK National Lottery. That's one of the reasons I've never played it.

-R

Ya, people spend thousands of $$ over their life time for the "Thrill" of a possible win.

Back