My first outing with my X-E1

Mikey

Veteran
Finally got a chance to take my X-E1 out for a brief spin yesterday. Here are a few images from that day and some brief thoughts about the Fuji X system.

18-55/2.8-4

1908-a.jpg

This kit lens is a remarkable performer and is perfect for quick portraits. Didn't get to play around with it as much but am very much looking forward to using this as my walkaround lens.

14/2.8

1910-a.jpg

Very sharp UWA prime, something direly missing from the m. Zuiko prime lens lineup. The distortion is kept to a minimum for a rectilinear UWA lens. True to reviews, my aperture ring was quite loose but that is about the only complaint I have on this otherwise fine masterpiece of a lens. Lack of stabilization is offset by cleaner images at higher ISOs.

35/1.4

My wife desperately wanted to go to the butterfly garden and since I didn't have a macro lens, I decided to put the X-E1 + 35/1.4 combo's AF to the test. Yes, the AF is noticeably slower (I was already using the latest firmware) than with the micro four thirds system (3rd generation and up) but I have to say that it is very acceptable. I noticed that the 35/1.4 has a moving front element when focusing which I'm sure is mostly to blame for the slower AF (much akin to the 20/1.7 and 17/2.8). The 35/1.4 may be slow to AF but when it locks, it almost always nails it which allowed me to get some keepers that day.

1907-a.jpg

1909-a.jpg

1906-a.jpg

I can see why a lot of people choose to own both the Micro Four Thirds and Fuji systems. The perfect camera system would be a marriage between these 2 with the Olympus' lightning fast AF plus the OM-D's revolutionary 5-axis IBIS married to the larger X trans sensor plus Fuji colors plus the X system's mouthwatering lens lineup. Pipe dreams, I know. :coco:

Nice set of photos, Mikey! It must have been fun in the butterfly garden. Looks great.
Have fun with the camera.
Peter

I have the XE1 and EM5 and when I travel I take both.

If you have used the Panasonic 7-14, how would you compare the Fuji 14 to it in terms of is the 14 wide enough? Is the 14 sharper?

Thanks Peter and Amin! :D

I have the XE1 and EM5 and when I travel I take both.

If you have used the Panasonic 7-14, how would you compare the Fuji 14 to it in terms of is the 14 wide enough? Is the 14 sharper?

I loved the 7-14 when I had it but let go of it since I couldn't (or rather didn't know how to) attach any protective filters (I never use hoods and actually dislike their added bulk). Also owned the 9mm but found it (my copy at least) a bit too soft for my liking. Both are very sharp wide open and gets tack sharp after stopping down by 1 f-stop. I'm not a pixel peeper but I do see more details rendered with the 14/2.8 (how much of it is lens vs. bigger sensor size? IDK) This makes the 14/2.8 very useful for light gathering especially since there is no OIS to talk of with either lens.

The extreme 7-9mm end is certainly useful to get some pretty unique perspectives with architecture. Having said that, the amount of lens distortion can be both a boon and a bane. It works wonders with symmetrical compositions with the added pincushion effect. Otherwise, it can be a struggle to find the right angle first, hence, the learning curve everyone talks about with UWA lenses. I'd say the 14/2.8's MFT effective focal length of 10.5mm is certainly wide enough but the well-controlled distortion allows you to just raise the EVF to your eye to quickly compose and shoot. It's just like a wider version of my mZD 12/2. Btw, my cathedral shot was 1 of 3 quick stolen shots as I didn't want to disturb a baptism that was going on directly behind me and to my left (stopped me from getting up and standing in the isle).

those shots are all beautiful
Thanks, Luke!

Lovely set. For macro a nice cheap Manual focus vintage macro will serve you well.
Thanks for the suggestion! But I really want OIS. I was disappointed that Fuji's first macro lens did not have OIS when all the newer CaNikon macro lenses all have OIS. I'm a lazy photographer and preferred handholding my macro shots in ambient light when I still had my OM-D. (I know, crazy, right? :p ) Maybe when they come out with the MkII version, they'd stick OIS in there -- now that would make for a portrait and macro all-in-solution for me. :D

Finally got a chance to take my X-E1 out for a brief spin yesterday. Here are a few images from that day and some brief thoughts about the Fuji X system.

18-55/2.8-4

1908-a.jpg

This kit lens is a remarkable performer and is perfect for quick portraits. Didn't get to play around with it as much but am very much looking forward to using this as my walkaround lens.

14/2.8

1910-a.jpg

Very sharp UWA prime, something direly missing from the m. Zuiko prime lens lineup. The distortion is kept to a minimum for a rectilinear UWA lens. True to reviews, my aperture ring was quite loose but that is about the only complaint I have on this otherwise fine masterpiece of a lens. Lack of stabilization is offset by cleaner images at higher ISOs.

35/1.4

My wife desperately wanted to go to the butterfly garden and since I didn't have a macro lens, I decided to put the X-E1 + 35/1.4 combo's AF to the test. Yes, the AF is noticeably slower (I was already using the latest firmware) than with the micro four thirds system (3rd generation and up) but I have to say that it is very acceptable. I noticed that the 35/1.4 has a moving front element when focusing which I'm sure is mostly to blame for the slower AF (much akin to the 20/1.7 and 17/2.8). The 35/1.4 may be slow to AF but when it locks, it almost always nails it which allowed me to get some keepers that day.

1907-a.jpg

1909-a.jpg

1906-a.jpg

I can see why a lot of people choose to own both the Micro Four Thirds and Fuji systems. The perfect camera system would be a marriage between these 2 with the Olympus' lightning fast AF plus the OM-D's revolutionary 5-axis IBIS married to the larger X trans sensor plus Fuji colors plus the X system's mouthwatering lens lineup. Pipe dreams, I know. :coco:

Excellent job Mikey .. I agree that Lots of people who like MFT are choosing Fuji as second system . I love these pics and I can tell u .. U will always shoot wonderful pics regardless of the system u use.
Cheers

Back