Fuji My Full X-M1 Review at Admiring Light

Nice review, but the IQ of he X-M1 is nit identical to the X-E1. The X-M1 has a new engine with different JPEG output. Only external RAW processing will lead to identical (or at least very similar) results. :)

I enjoyed reading your review, Jordan. I'm still window shopping at this point, however that doesn't stop me from "consuming" just about everyone's thoughts on this little camera, as well as checking out their photos.

I particularly love your "Water plants" and "Boat under Broad Street", however each example showed off very nicely the range this zoom gives. I think I've already posted elsewhere that I appreciate your leaving all your EXIF info available for inquiring eyes.

It will be interesting to see if Fuji might be able to improve that Wifi capability with a firmware update. I'm pretty sure that Rico mentioned this in his review as being "an easy fix" or words to that effect?

Looking like a very nice camera indeed - and all those lenses to save up for, while starting out with a very attractive (to me) wider zoom.

Many thanks!!

Nice review, but the IQ of he X-M1 is nit identical to the X-E1. The X-M1 has a new engine with different JPEG output. Only external RAW processing will lead to identical (or at least very similar) results. :)

Thanks. I did not see any difference in the files, but admittedly, I don't use JPEG all that often. I have changed the wording in my intro on that to "extremely similar," which they most assuredly are.

DPReview will eventually find about 2 EV less DR in shadow tones during their studio testing, creating another little shitstorm among the uninformed masses.

Personally, I would not call it extremely similar, but "similar". In reality, pretty much everything is different (as in improved): sharpening, NR, DR, color grading, highlight and contrasts...

Not even interested in this camera and I STILL read it. Your reviews are very complete, Jordan, and I always enjoy them. Great imagery as well.

I wonder if Fuji might come up with a slide on EVF or OVF for this camera? I can't remember if I've seen anything about anyone coming up with an OVF that would work.

DPReview will eventually find about 2 EV less DR in shadow tones during their studio testing, creating another little shitstorm among the uninformed masses.

Personally, I would not call it extremely similar, but "similar". In reality, pretty much everything is different (as in improved): sharpening, NR, DR, color grading, highlight and contrasts...

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. In working with the X-M1 files, they feel exactly like the files out of my X-E1. I haven't shot a LOT of JPEG, but I haven't noticed anything majorly different there either. The RAW files for sure are extremely similar/identical.

BTW, my 16-50 review will be coming in the next week.

Back