Fuji My initial thoughts on the Fuji X-T1

Feels more responsive than the X-E2 in terms of just overall usage but barely.
S-AF however seems to be just a tad bit faster, especially in low light.

But as you both know, the X-E2 is no slouch :)

The biggest difference with the X-E2 is EVF experience in low light - absolutely fantastic!
Continuous and tracking AF is also much improved.

The AF speed, lens selection, and small package is what kept me coming back to m4/3 over and over again. Sounds like the XT1 might "finally" have matched the m4/3 in terms of AF speed.

Beats me. I don't have an EM1, and tracking was never a strong suit for any mirrorless (other than Nikon 1). So maybe the XT1 is the best in the market now!

So maybe the XT1 is the best in the market now!

That's what I'd like to find out. I know the E-M5 doesn't even feature PDAF, so predictive tracking is a no-go. But I thought the X-M1 might offer an improvement here. Maybe I was too optimistic.

I read the page about focus tracking in dpreview: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review
I'm not sure this "press event" example is meant seriously. I mean this is supposed to be a review, not some quick preview, right? It doesn't look like they really tested the real-live AF tracking performance.

I'm confident that even my X-E2 could track a horse at f/2.8 and 60mm at that distance. I've already done much closer stuff at f/1.2 with my new 56mm lens on a X-T1, with a very high success rate. See Fujifilm X-T1 Predictive PDAF Sample Series

In any case, I didn't read the word "predictive" in the review, but I might have missed it.

OTOH, the E-M1 PDAF seems to be quite sophisticated, with 37 tiny fields and 74 user-defined manual mircoadjustments per focal length. WTF? I'm not going to do 74 manual adjustments per lens (a multiple of that when using a zoom lens). I'd rather expect the PDAF to automatically calibrate with the help of the CDAF. That shouldn't be that hard.

It's funny now you mention it. For all the years of complaints about the lack of useful C-AF and focus tracking on mirrorless cameras, I don't know if I've seen a single forum thread about about the E-M1's capabilities in that regard, but that is under the disclaimer that I haven't really looked out for them.

Don't all cameras with a phase detect AF like DSLR's have some type of predictive algorithm when the AF is set on C-AF?

My A7 has phase detect on its sensor, but I certainly don't trust it to track any moving subject with much accuracy (maybe a turtle).

Thanks for your post. I think I'm going to be picking this camera up when I can. Just wish they were releasing one of the weather sealed lenses along with it. Seems a little strange to have a weather sealed camera and have to wait a couple months before you can get a weather sealed lens. But this camera looks amazing.

Don't all cameras with a phase detect AF like DSLR's have some type of predictive algorithm when the AF is set on C-AF?

My A7 has phase detect on its sensor, but I certainly don't trust it to track any moving subject with much accuracy (maybe a turtle).

I was starting to think maybe there were drawbacks to on sensor phase detection and tracking but the Nikon one system does a fantastic job of it.

Back