Leica My Leica Kit - Joining The "Cult"

Hmm sounds like a good reason for me to stick with KEH. They cost a bit more but I trust their grading and I have never had a problem with an order.
KEH, MPB, usedphotopro (Roberts Camera) and Camera Exchange in Waterford MI are all standup places. I've done business with all.

B&H has a used department but their prices seem a bit higher than others, nor do they offer the same warranty.

B&H and Adorama seem to be dropping in their reliability for me. The other 4 you’ve mentioned have all been stellar the last few months.

I’ll stick with them and a private seller in Japan I’ve worked with for a while for the foreseeable future. That and anyone on this forum that have been around for a while.

I think I’ll be pretty happy for a while with my Leica setup.

After returning the 135mm, I have the 35/50/90 covered.

Have the CV 12mm F/5.6 on the way.

Will be looking for a 28mm deal and will add that to the stable. A 135mm would be nice but not required and I have other systems that can handle the longer fields of view of needed.

Honestly, I think I could probably bolt the Zeiss 35mm on the M 240 and be happy 90% of the time with just that.

Got to admit, I’m pretty smitten with the Leica kit right now. Even my wife has noticed the difference in the images with the Leica setup. She mentioned yesterday that there was something different and special about the latest set of images.

She couldn’t put her finger on what exactly, could be the gear or it could be the newly inspired drive I have because of the gear.

I know that there is something tangible when my wife notices a difference. She is not a gear head and she comes from a uniquely viewer perspective on things. I’ve learned to value her input on a great many things.

B&H and Adorama seem to be dropping in their reliability for me. The other 4 you’ve mentioned have all been stellar the last few months.

I’ll stick with them and a private seller in Japan I’ve worked with for a while for the foreseeable future. That and anyone on this forum that have been around for a while.

I think I’ll be pretty happy for a while with my Leica setup.

After returning the 135mm, I have the 35/50/90 covered.

Have the CV 12mm F/5.6 on the way.

Will be looking for a 28mm deal and will add that to the stable. A 135mm would be nice but not required and I have other systems that can handle the longer fields of view of needed.

Honestly, I think I could probably bolt the Zeiss 35mm on the M 240 and be happy 90% of the time with just that.

Got to admit, I’m pretty smitten with the Leica kit right now. Even my wife has noticed the difference in the images with the Leica setup. She mentioned yesterday that there was something different and special about the latest set of images.

She couldn’t put her finger on what exactly, could be the gear or it could be the newly inspired drive I have because of the gear.

I know that there is something tangible when my wife notices a difference. She is not a gear head and she comes from a uniquely viewer perspective on things. I’ve learned to value her input on a great many things.
Well done. I have a theory - I think it’s the Zeiss lenses. I also think it’s something one can’t fully appreciate until one’s actually using then and editing the images they produce. I don’t have it (too big for me), and this honestly isn’t a gas inducing attempt, but the Distagon 35mm F1.4 is apparently “the” one out of all the Zeiss lenses optically speaking. Doesn’t really matter though; they’re all fantastic.

Well done. I have a theory - I think it’s the Zeiss lenses. I also think it’s something one can’t fully appreciate until one’s actually using then and editing the images they produce. I don’t have it (too big for me), and this honestly isn’t a gas inducing attempt, but the Distagon 35mm F1.4 is apparently “the” one out of all the Zeiss lenses optically speaking. Doesn’t really matter though; they’re all fantastic.
While I agree concerning the merits of the Distagon, it's also a huge and heavy lens - it's not too bad in terms of handling, but definitely awkward. Still, optically, it's fabulous, and its internal focusing design is quite unique (not in the sense that there are no other lenses that use it, but it's rare in manual focus lenses of its vintage). You have to really want its advantages to lug it around, and the C Biogon isn't far behind optically, which is, in my book, the greater feat than a "no compromise" lens at three times the price and twice the size and weight. That said, I'm hang on to the Distagon - it's a wonderful lens, especially for people shots.

However, at the moment, the Distagon rests in its pouch - I think the small Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.5 Aspherical does a lot right; it's no Distagon, but a fine lens for its size and price, way better than it has any right to be. Plus it offers a shorter MFD. Progress comes in small packages ...

M.

P.S. Weather allows for slower lenses today - so I'm taking the TTArtisan 28mm f/5.6; it's already fun to pack the lens - it's hardly there ...

Update....I had every intention of returning for a refund the Leica 135mm f/4.5 Hektor...but I really want to support the local camera store I got it from...so I used it for store credit and just swapped that lens out for a very nice condition Fuji S3 Pro.

Surprisingly, it works perfectly with the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 (The S2 Pro did not).

Update....I had every intention of returning for a refund the Leica 135mm f/4.5 Hektor...but I really want to support the local camera store I got it from...so I used it for store credit and just swapped that lens out for a very nice condition Fuji S3 Pro.

Surprisingly, it works perfectly with the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2 (The S2 Pro did not).

I keep thinking evil thoughts about a D700 :) But honestly, my D7100 is really quite good enough and the DX/FX thing isn't that big of a deal in the end. :drinks:

I keep thinking evil thoughts about a D700 :) But honestly, my D7100 is really quite good enough and the DX/FX thing isn't that big of a deal in the end. :drinks:

Heck for the prices of used D700, I might get one again just because. Last I saw they were $250-$300 locally in good condition. I loved using the older AF-D lenses on it.

Heck for the prices of used D700, I might get one again just because. Last I saw they were $250-$300 locally in good condition. I loved using the older AF-D lenses on it.
Hah! Point taken. My AI modified Pre-AI lenses would be nice on it too. 12 mp is quite enough too - I never lacked for pixels with my Oly E-PL1 ;)

I do still think that Color Skopar has the priority for my April toy money but think May just became became a DSLR month... :cool:

Cool. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it since the Canon I was eyeballing sold ;)

I think that I may have mentioned it previously - but I've had 2 prior manual focus Mitakon lenses and really liked them. I'll post reviews below. They were optically excellent and the metal build was re-assuring.

Mitakon Creator 85mm f/2

Mitakon Speedmaster 25mm f/0.95

My hope is that the 28mm is at least as good if not better than the Speedmaster. I'd be happy with that. Although - as others have mentioned prior - having those Zeiss lenses SPOILS you for a lot of others...they are SO GOOD! :)

I think that I may have mentioned it previously - but I've had 2 prior manual focus Mitakon lenses and really liked them. I'll post reviews below. They were optically excellent and the metal build was re-assuring.

Mitakon Creator 85mm f/2

Mitakon Speedmaster 25mm f/0.95

My hope is that the 28mm is at least as good if not better than the Speedmaster. I'd be happy with that. Although - as others have mentioned prior - having those Zeiss lenses SPOILS you for a lot of others...they are SO GOOD! :)
My primary desire for all of these modern manual lenses is for a) a hard stop right at infinity, not short of or past infinity, and b) accurate focus scale. Most I have tried seem to fail in one of these areas. I have had a hankering to try out the Speedmaster 25.

Obviously one would veer towards the voigtlanders however, the Mitakon 50mm f0.95 native to Z Mount is on its third edition now. Trying to identify faults (in real terms) given it’s ridiculously low price is not that easy.

The 12mm is going to take some getting used to. I tried to use it today and the biggest challenge was framing in the sunlight on the rear LCD (I don't have a viewfinder yet).
Voigtlander makes a GREAT lens and I cannot believe how good this lens is. Even with the heavy vignetting, that is relatively easily corrected in Lightroom when shooting RAW by using the lens profile.

You truly can set the camera to f/11, infinity focus and just shoot away. Unless I was shooting something just a few feet away - I didn't really have to adjust focus. The street art images were the only ones I focused differently.

A few of my favorites from the day - not great images - but I'm sure once I get used to it, the quality will increase.

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001704.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001772.jpg

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001710.jpg

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001729.jpg

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001737.jpg

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001739.jpg

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001756.jpg

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001758-Edit.jpg

04-07-2023_cbus_M240_L1001759.jpg

The 12mm is going to take some getting used to. I tried to use it today and the biggest challenge was framing in the sunlight on the rear LCD (I don't have a viewfinder yet).
Voigtlander makes a GREAT lens and I cannot believe how good this lens is. Even with the heavy vignetting, that is relatively easily corrected in Lightroom when shooting RAW by using the lens profile.

You truly can set the camera to f/11, infinity focus and just shoot away. Unless I was shooting something just a few feet away - I didn't really have to adjust focus. The street art images were the only ones I focused differently.

A few of my favorites from the day - not great images - but I'm sure once I get used to it, the quality will increase.

View attachment 378301

View attachment 378309

View attachment 378302

View attachment 378303

View attachment 378304

View attachment 378305

View attachment 378306

View attachment 378307

View attachment 378308
Ok, you're officially banned from using that lens till you get the viewfinder 😅 . Seriously though, an external ovf where the focal length is outside of the RF framelines is all part of the fun (well to me anyway).

Back