Leica My Leica Kit - Joining The "Cult"

I have two Leica kits. My first was the CL with the 18-56 as part of the kit. I then got the 11-23. Both are great lenses. The kit came with the L to M adapter. I couldn’t see having the adapter if I didn’t have an M mount lens. So I got the Voigtlander Classic 35 Nokton MC as it received good reviews and was reasonably priced. Later last year, I came into a windfall and got the Elmarit 24. It was in very good condition and was complete in the box. That got me thinking, as I will probably be retiring at the end of the year and I already have 2 M mount lenses, it is only logical that I have an M mount body. My local camera store had gotten a refurbished M10-R from Leica with a 1 year warranty. The price was too good to pass up. GAS is starting to kicking again. I may have to start considering thr50 APO Lanthar or a 50 Cron. My son picked up a 50 Cron Rigid that produces food results. His copy is a year younger than me. I may need to look for one of those.

Took this today to show off at another site so why not here too :) My every day carry

IMG_20230502_120814610.jpg

I have added the Summicron-M 50 v5 to my kit. I have had it just over a week. While it may not be my preferred focal length, I am going to enjoy using the lens. The first two shots were taken at our local coffee roaster / shop. The third is at a local park that was developed as a PPP effort between a developer and Texas Parks and Wildlife.

L1001532.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1001537.jpg

L1001523.jpg

Winter Leica rangefinder shooting question…for those in colder climates, how do you shoot your Leica in the winter?

Only inside?
Get some gloves with removable fingers?
When it gets too cold, shoot with something else?

It’s getting that time of year here where gloves are not an optional outdoor accessory.

Just getting a pulse on how others might shoot.

I’ve plenty of cameras and I tend to shoot more with the larger DSLR kit that has easier adjustments with said gloves in colder months.

I like half finger gloves. a soft release also helps. Fortunately it's not been too harsh a winter so far.

I got into a bad habit of ignoring my Leica last year so I'm doing a personal one picture a day challenge with my M 240/Nokton 50/1.5 combo to avoid that this year :)

I use thin gloves, a half case, thumb grip, and a soft release. This all adds up to no real change from the rest of the year. If I use one of the Voigtlander skopar lenses (I have the 28 and 40 f2.8 lenses plus the 21/3.5 is also very compact), then the body/lens combo can slide into a jacket pocket, keeping both my hand and the camera reasonably warm. Keeping my core body warm is more important for me otherwise life becomes miserable 🥶 A wool hat and thermal underwear takes care of that 😃

Winter Leica rangefinder shooting question…for those in colder climates, how do you shoot your Leica in the winter?

I have a leather half-case that allows me to shoot without the base plate on the camera. It has a hinged door on the bottom. That way I can change out battery and card through without removing the base plate in the cold (or risk dropping the base plate in the snow).

That is, unless I’m shooting on a tripod - in that case I have an RRS arca plate on the camera, and it replaces entire camera bottom plate - but I have my half case in a pocket in the event I drop the RRS in the snow, haha (so far never happened). I’ll add a pic of this rig.

All of my lenses have tabs, and I use a soft-release button screwed into my shutter release, so no problem operating the camera with gloves. I guess I should add, though, that I don’t wear big heavy ski-type of gloves when shooting, but a synthetic wool type that are still really warm but allow a little more dexterity.

Oh, and usually add a clear filter when shooting in the snow, so I can just wipe off snow/water-drops/condensation that are a certainty outside in the Midwest in winter.

I think that’s all, have fun!

IMG_1887.jpeg

I honestly just use (rather thin) gloves with a grippy surface; the camera (M10 with Leica thumb rest) is pretty resilient as far as the cold goes, and it comes in and out of the EDC bag (ONA Bowery) quickly, so I don't carry it in-hand when it gets to bothersome (i.e. too cold to the touch). Battery life takes a hit, so I carry a spare one in an inside pocket of the coat or, even better, the fleeze jacket I usually wear underneath. If things get colder, I change gloves ... the small frame and minimalist controls don't necessitate high-tech solutions in my experience. For the record, I don't use half-cases or straps of any kind on my Leicas - just the "bare metal" ... I just like it best that way.

M.

Thanks for the responses. Good to hear that you are able to cope with all the manual focusing even with gloves.

I’ll most likely try that and see. Take a small “auto”camera as well in case I’m not as dexterous as you all!! 😂

Winter is a variable. Some see sub-zero regularly as I did when I lived in Montreal. Now in the Pacific Northwest on the coast it rarely dips to freezing, but is windy and rainy. Shooting? I stay in the damned car! ;o) I just keep the heat on and roll down the window, shoot, and roll up the window. The combination of bad weather and my age makes this a good option. As usual, YMMV. The trusty M-9 works just fine.

Only inside?
Get some gloves with removable fingers?
When it gets too cold, shoot with something else?

It’s getting that time of year here where gloves are not an optional outdoor accessory.

Just getting a pulse on how others might shoot.

I’ve plenty of cameras and I tend to shoot more with the larger DSLR kit that has easier adjustments with said gloves in colder months.
Nah. Never gloves.

Back