Leica My Leica Kit - Joining The "Cult"

That’s normal, the RF guesses the aperture. Imagine owning and shooting say a Noctilux wide open and the exif data displays as F4.8 well yes, than can and does happen on occasion.
I only have one lens that has a code on it (my 7Artisans 50/1.1 is coded as a Leica Noctilux 50mm f/1 lens. Even then it doesn't always get it right. I don't get too excited about it; If I were using my Canon 50/1.4 or either of my 50/2 lenses I could set them manually to their Leica equivalents and they'd probably come out correct but I can't get too worried about it. I'm more interested in the results like this from the other day with my Nikkor:

L1007706.jpg

I only have one lens that has a code on it (my 7Artisans 50/1.1 is coded as a Leica Noctilux 50mm f/1 lens. Even then it doesn't always get it right. I don't get too excited about it; If I were using my Canon 50/1.4 or either of my 50/2 lenses I could set them manually to their Leica equivalents and they'd probably come out correct but I can't get too worried about it. I'm more interested in the results like this from the other day with my Nikkor:

L1007706.jpg

I love those "lone tree" pics and the winter scene is even more fun! Thanks for sharing that.

Is it me or does that seem to be a rather large lens?
Has to be - 15mm f/2 rectilinear! But for what it is, it's actually pretty compact. It's smaller than the Atoll - and that's a 17mm f/2.8 lens, albeit with a built-in lens hood.

Addendum: I looked into getting this lens when it was released for different mounts a few years ago - and much later went with the 9mm f/5.6 instead for its much wider angle. However, that was me already owning the Lomography Atoll 17mm f/2.8 ... A native M mount version would definitely have had me thinking much harder about it.

And yes, the new version is rangefinder coupled and has the same nice stop at 0.7m to indicate the rangefinder ... range.

M.

Has to be - 15mm f/2 rectilinear! But for what it is, it's actually pretty compact. It's smaller than the Atoll - and that's a 17mm f/2.8 lens, albeit with a built-in lens hood.

Addendum: I looked into getting this lens when it was released for different mounts a few years ago - and much later went with the 9mm f/5.6 instead for its much wider angle. However, that was me already owning the Lomography Atoll 17mm f/2.8 ... A native M mount version would definitely have had me thinking much harder about it.

And yes, the new version is rangefinder coupled and has the same nice stop at 0.7m to indicate the rangefinder ... range.

M.
That’s a ridiculously cheap price for a lens of that capability. A rhetorical question I know, but can you just imagine the cost if Leica released a lens with those same specs. Might be worth mentioning though that those sample pics can only have been taken by a seriously professional photographer, especially the one of Chicago (could us mere mortals achieve the same?). Plus I’d be shocked if PP hasn’t been engaged in straightening at least one of those images.

Cool! I'm glad that my guess was confirmed. I mean, it is close, and exact EXIF / exposure settings are something that I tend to not care much about anymore...just happened to notice it.
I initially got annoyed about an image shot at say F2.8 displaying as F4. But then I thought why the hell am I thinking like that? So it actually made me pull my head out of my $/&@, which is good.

I initially got annoyed about an image shot at say F2.8 displaying as F4. But then I thought why the hell am I thinking like that? So it actually made me pull my head out of my $/&@, which is good.
Tim, I expect rulers to measure correctly. Same goes for any electro-mechanical device or instrument.

I would get pretty upset if my micrometer gave me other than precise readings.

When I saw the images, I reacted the same way I had when the 7Artisans 28mm f/5.6 come out: No advantage over the Voigtländer in terms of size (at least not a crucial one), so, no real reason not to go for the most desirable option. Voigtländer has knocked it out of the park with the Ultron 28mm f/2 II. The TTArtisan is tiny - a little expensive for what it is on the whole, but it's well made, looks the part and takes nice images (not perfect, just nice).

What doesn't get mentioned a lot: The old Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 for M mount is a really good lens, too. Not as small and optically fantastic as its successor, but still enjoyable, with very nice rendering, good colour and sharpness. If you can put up with a slightly bigger lens, it's a good choice. Mine practically lives on my M8 - it's a "match made in heaven" ...

@Brian Great stuff! Unbeatable for the price, too. I'll say here that the Elmar-M 135mm f/4 is another affordable gem. I've never seen the Hector "in the flesh" - how does it compare in terms of size and weight?

M.
About the same size as the 135/4 Elmar. Neither are Telephoto designs, both are longer focal length anastigmats.

The 135 focal length on a Rangefinder is highly useful, and these days- dirt cheap. The Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5, one of the best.

I need to try the 1950s Contax mount Zeiss 21/4.5 Zeiss on the M9. I used it on the Z5 with an adapter, was really good. Which surprised me, given the rear element being relatively close to the image plane.

Last edited:
Yes, it is just a guess, whether it is a Leica lens or not. It is worth it, IMHO, to code your non-Leica lenses so that you have an idea as to what lens you used at least. There are several guides on how to do it and which Leica codes to use on non-Leica lenses.

Ok, another question- regarding the 135/4.5 Hektar M39.

I noticed 2 things.

1 - the aperture rings works, but was this lens clickless? Mine doesn’t have click stops.

2 - it appears that the front part of the lens unscrews. I didn’t disassemble it but was curious why that would be a thing. I tried searching on the web and cannot find a lot a out this lens or how it was intended to work.

Many of the barrels of Leica lenses unscrewed from the focus mount to be used on Bellows with the Viso-Flex.

The M-Mount version of the Hektor 135/4.5 has click stops, the older LTM version that uses 34mm filters does not.

Appreciate the clarification- mine is indeed the older screw mount version I’m using with an adapter. Very cool that it still is able to use the rangefinder.

So much to learn in Leica-land!! 😁

So initial outing with the 135mm, I seem to be having some issues focusing on distant subjects. By that I mean I think I am having an issue. A few up close shots of the dog and they look nice and sharp and I can determine appropriate focus.

Thinking maybe that the 135 at distance may not be it’s strong suit. I’m sure , if nothing else I can make use of it as a portrait lens.

Mind you, this is my initial assessment after just walking around for 30 minutes with it and took maybe 15 shots.

Just talking out loud, as it were. 😜. My wife is not in the car at the moment so I have to resort to this or talking to myself. LOL.

Well, it appears that the M39 to M adapter is not doing what it states on the engraving. Not sure which framelines it is pulling up, but they are definitely not 35/135.

I've ordered another adapter and it should be here tomorrow.
Haha welcome to the club, I did that using a 50/75mm ltm adapter with a 28mm lens. Mind you focusing was still ok. You’ll have to let us know the first time you take a shot with the lens cap on. Never used a 135mm on a RF and I don’t think I will as using the Nikkor AI-S 135mm lenses on dslr/ mirrorless cameras are just so damn nice. But I am interested to see how you get on with the focusing. Matt says it’s straightforward but I wouldn’t know as I’ve never done it.

Haha welcome to the club, I did that using a 50/75mm ltm adapter with a 28mm lens. Mind you focusing was still ok. You’ll have to let us know the first time you take a shot with the lens cap on. Never used a 135mm on a RF and I don’t think I will as using the Nikkor AI-S 135mm lenses on dslr/ mirrorless cameras are just so damn nice. But I am interested to see how you get on with the focusing. Matt says it’s straightforward but I wouldn’t know as I’ve never done it.

Yeah, was a little miffed, but brought the 90mm along and just shot with that instead.

I did try the 135 adapted onto the Fuji X-Pro2 and it appears to be sharp enough for the job just need to get the adapter straightened out.

Tried playing about with the 135 again today on both the M 240 and adapter on the Fuji X.

Adapter issues and focusing difficulty just don’t seem worth it.

I just don’t feel like dealing with it honestly and the 90mm is telephoto enough. I’ll return it to the store sometime this week.

On a different note, found a used Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 II for $300, so will be going to the other end of the spectrum and doing ultra wide.

Should be here in a week or so.

Back