Leica My Leica Kit - Joining The "Cult"

GRRRRR, @gryphon1911 you have me researching CLs. $3k with the 18mm.
It was a huge blunder by Leica not to pursue this line; it was one generation away from blowing the competition out of the water.

Anyway, my first reaction was: "Isn't that what everyone does, once in a while?" ;) David, a little piece of advise: *Don't* go handle that camera. It'll cost you.

That said, back when I almost fell for it, the Fujifilm X-E3 proved a really good remedy for my "condition". However, the camera that made me stop looking at all other available compact RF style bodies was the X100V. But I *am* a 35mm-e guy. Many aren't.

And I've been hedging my bets anyway - by keeping the GX9 around; I.B.I.S. and the 15mm f/1.7 as a companion lens make that camera a worthy subsitute for the "gestalt" and use case. Pairing it with the 14mm f/2.5 II should actually achieve most of what the CL could ever do with its kit lens, with better autofocus to boot ...

My nemesis is the Panasonic S5 II - a very desirable entry point into L mount indeed, and Panasonic knocked it out of the park with the 20-60mm kit lens first go. I'll resist. Owning the Z 6 has so far offered very good protection against that kind of move - together with the availability of the small Z primes; the Z 26mm f/2.8 was kind of a masterstroke in this respect, even though some seem to think the lens should have been skipped in favour of others. I'm certaily not one of them.

Anyway, back to the business at hand - @gryphon1911 Andrew, I'm looking forward to your experiences with the M 240!

M.

Seriously...before they discontinued the CL - I did look there as a way to get into Leica...more for the glass and the ability to adapt the rangefinder lenses...but as Matt mentioned, the Fuji kit kept me away as well. The X-Pro2 scratches that CL itch for me...and I really like the Fuji "cron" lenses and even the tiny 18-55/2.8-4.

I almost feel like taking off work tomorrow to just immerse myself into the camera! Depends on when it shows, I might "bunk off" for the remainder of the day. LOL

It was a huge blunder by Leica not to pursue this line; it was one generation away from blowing the competition out of the water.

Anyway, my first reaction was: "Isn't that what everyone does, once in a while?" ;) David, a little piece of advise: *Don't* go handle that camera. It'll cost you.

That said, back when I almost fell for it, the Fujifilm X-E3 proved a really good remedy for my "condition". However, the camera that made me stop looking at all other available compact RF style bodies was the X100V. But I *am* a 35mm-e guy. Many aren't.

And I've been hedging my bets anyway - by keeping the GX9 around; I.B.I.S. and the 15mm f/1.7 as a companion lens make that camera a worthy subsitute for the "gestalt" and use case. Pairing it with the 14mm f/2.5 II should actually achieve most of what the CL could ever do with its kit lens, with better autofocus to boot ...

My nemesis is the Panasonic S5 II - a very desirable entry point into L mount indeed, and Panasonic knocked it out of the park with the 20-60mm kit lens first go. I'll resist. Owning the Z 6 has so far offered very good protection against that kind of move - together with the availability of the small Z primes; the Z 26mm f/2.8 was kind of a masterstroke in this respect, even though some seem to think the lens should have been skipped in favour of others. I'm certaily not one of them.

Anyway, back to the business at hand - @gryphon1911 Andrew, I'm looking forward to your experiences with the M 240!

M.

Agreed and luckily not much of a chance of me actually getting my hands on one.

I've owned the X-E3 and X100V (and a PEN F), but I also currently own the E-P7 with the P14 and O17. That's what really makes it silly for me to even seriously consider a CL and stupid of me to download and read the manual. :dash2:

I kind of got into the "cult" via a D-lux typ109 which is a Panasonic clone. Then our local camera store had a new X-Vario on a really good deal so I thought "why not" and purchased it along with a grip, lens hood and EVF. Since then I now own an X-1, X-2 and a typ113 so I pretty much have a family of X cameras. Welcome to the cult of Leica!!!! I decided at an early point I didn't want to get into M cameras as my eyesight is not what it used to be and the X series give me the enjoyment of shooting with a Leica.

Enjoy you new acquisition!!!!

I'll look forward to seeing some of your work with the M 240.

Seriously...before they discontinued the CL - I did look there as a way to get into Leica...more for the glass and the ability to adapt the rangefinder lenses...but as Matt mentioned, the Fuji kit kept me away as well. The X-Pro2 scratches that CL itch for me...and I really like the Fuji "cron" lenses and even the tiny 18-55/2.8-4.

I almost feel like taking off work tomorrow to just immerse myself into the camera! Depends on when it shows, I might "bunk off" for the remainder of the day. LOL
Wonderful camera it no doubt is, the CL isn’t a rangefinder and thus would likely merely delay you in your journey to the M240. So you’ve saved a ton of cash (and you probably wouldn’t PX/ sell the CL as it’s too damn nice). As opposed to a small aspc camera akin to a Fuji, I see it more so as a Rolls Royce version of my GRIII when paired with the tiny Elmarit 18mm lens.

Last edited:
I dearly love my M 240.

Don't forget all the glorious old LTM glass out there too - Canon & Nikon & etc. My current favorite is a Chiyoko (now known as Minolta) Super Rokkor 50/2 that is just a delight.

Cosina Voigtlander is always a good choice as well.

For a 90, the Leica Elmar 90/4 is a wonderful under rated gem.

I want to cut my teeth on the current lenses I’ve ordered, but have plans - being that I love the M240 as much as I think I might - experiment with other lenses of both the adapted sort as well as vintage or “lenses with character”.

I appreciate the suggestions and will keep them in mind.

It has arrived!! It did, indeed have original packaging.

9E970EBA-DCEA-4A3F-9568-6235BB3730AB.jpeg

EF61D95D-4A30-4A37-A7BE-FF1CDCA4E335.jpeg

They did have a reiten in sind of my trade. The box they sent was a little big. Lol. But no worries on damage to the new gear!!

I have no interest in getting a Leica, but this thread has me hooked and I have been checking each day waiting for your camera to arrive! (I hope that this isn’t the start of a Leica itch…)
Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing your pictures…

Unboxing was fun!

Initial impression - I thought the X-Pro2 was a solid feeling camera - but I did not expect the M 240 to feel this solid...like it is milled from a solid piece of metal. The weight was unexpected as well.

The lenses - also the Zeiss ones are everything I've read about so far. Not a fan of the Zeiss lens caps, but that is a quibble. The aperture clicks are solid and sure. Absolutely no wobble or give in either the Planar or the Biogon. I thought they would be heavier and bigger....they honestly make the Fuji f/2 primes feel large in comparison!

Now, do I start with the 35 or the 50 mounted first!? I think I'll go traditional and mount the 50mm first....right...the nifty 50!
I feel like a kid at Christmas, right now! Going to run through the menus, get some setup - check to see the firmware level and then decide what my first shot will be!

Also...I'll give you three guesses on which camera and lenses will be used for my next weeks "Gear A Week" shoot! :D

I did not expect the M 240 to feel this solid...like it is milled from a solid piece of metal. The weight was unexpected as well.
Yes, I don't have any need for image stabilisation with these cameras as the balance is perfect.
Absolutely no wobble
I've never had this issue with Zeiss RF lenses. Forgeddabouddit.
Now, do I start with the 35 or the 50 mounted first!?
50. The framelines for focusing are more apparent so I think this'll be more enjoyable, plus a chance to be a bit more creative with the wider aperture compared to your 35.

Back