Leica My Leica Kit - Joining The "Cult"

Unboxing was fun!
Yes.... Yes.... now do you understand ...

200w.gif

OK, samples. Take into account the time of day and the fact that I am shooting wide open in most cases (unless otherwise stated) and high ISO for this camera. After seeing the state of the image noise, I will most likely cap my color shots at ISO 1600 and the monochromes I'll probably let ride all the way to 6400.

From the 35mm Biogon, 100% crop of the subject and what I focused on. This is acceptable to me and what I was hoping to see.

View attachment 373027

After getting frustrated with the rangefinder experience with the 50mm planar - see this image to know why (focused on dog's left eye - imager right):. Both the images of the dog shot at f/2.
View attachment 373042

I used the live view and peaking from the same distance and got this:
View attachment 373029

Another example of the issue with the rangefinder versus live view. Focused on the face to the left and that portraits left eye
Rangfinder version
View attachment 373033

Focus peaking - live view
View attachment 373034

Some other shots via rangefinder focusing - Planar 50mm f/2 at f/4

Focused on the "Broad & James" line
View attachment 373031

To me, the 50mm seems like it is having issues. At 1/125 and f/4 ISO 200 - that should have been a sharp shot, same as below image.

Focused on the AIR POWER USA line - at the USA part....weird how much more in focus the cinder blocks are.
View attachment 373032

Now, jumped to the Biogon 35mm f/2.8 - all of these shot wide open.
Images have been cropped

Focus was on the S in Stone
View attachment 373035

Focus patch on the DIARY in OHIO DAIRY line
View attachment 373036

Close focusing with the 35mm f/2.8 - yes, there is a lot of noise here, but I can still tell that I focused on the horse's eye and it is sharp - even given the ISO 6400 levels of noise here.
View attachment 373037

Full frame from the 35mm
View attachment 373039

Followed by a generous crop - focused on the arched part of the glasses over the bridge of the nose
View attachment 373038

Last one - Full image of the Nationwide Insurance sign.
View attachment 373041

Now, cropped in to show the focus area, which was on the last name SLYMAN.
View attachment 373040

Given the shooting conditions, I believe that the 35mm Biogon is doing a great job here. It also leads me to believe that the rangefinder is not miscalibrated...but one lens is not enough to know.

The 50mm seems to be having an issue.

I'm hoping the weather is better tomorrow so that I can get out and try them both out again as well as take the Leica 90mm f/4 for a spin and see if it runs any better than the 50mm. If the 50mm does not get better it may have to be returned if I can rule out rangefinder calibration issues. It was the only one they had, so might have to look at another 50mm, like one of the Voigtlander Nokton f/1.5 of the like.
Andrew, both lenses back-focus - but the Biogon, being a 35mm f/2.8 lens, masks that pretty well already wide open by having enough DoF on flat subjects, and it *is* a very sharp lens with smooth transitions, so it's less apparent. It's quite clearly visible on the rocking horse shot though - the ears are noticeably more defined than the eye. On the Planar, back-focusing looks pretty severe on the dog shot, but judging from the estimated subject sizes, it's actually roughly in line with what the C Biogon does. Furthermore, the LiveView shot is nicely sharp on the dog's eye and shows well defined detail as well as pleasing transitions. Back-focusing shows up at its worst when shooting flat subjects - they're unsharp all over, as is visible in your sign shots. Again, the Biogon's greater DoF can make the effect disappear at medium and long distance; I'd say it's completely invisible at something like 2m (5-7ft.). Try short distance shots with the Biogon to make sure.

In short, from what I see, my bet is on the rangefinder being misaligned; I'd have it checked and adjusted before trying to judge the lenses.

M.

Andrew, both lenses back-focus - but the Biogon, being a 35mm f/2.8 lens, masks that pretty well already wide open by having enough DoF on flat subjects, and it *is* a very sharp lens with smooth transitions, so it's less apparent. It's quite clearly visible on the rocking horse shot though - the ears are noticeably more defined than the eye. On the Planar, back-focusing looks pretty severe on the dog shot, but judging from the estimated subject sizes, it's actually roughly in line with what the C Biogon does. Furthermore, the LiveView shot is nicely sharp on the dog's eye and shows well defined detail as well as pleasing transitions. Back-focusing shows up at its worst when shooting flat subjects - they're unsharp all over, as is visible in your sign shots. Again, the Biogon's greater DoF can make the effect disappear at medium and long distance; I'd say it's completely invisible at something like 2m (5-7ft.). Try short distance shots with the Biogon to make sure.

In short, from what I see, my bet is on the rangefinder being misaligned; I'd have it checked and adjusted before trying to judge the lenses.

M.

I’ve got a focus checker ruler coming. Will check it out with that. Thanks so much for the info.

Not really wanting to send it in and all but it is what it is I guess. #poutyface

Dare I try and adjust it myself?

Last edited:
Dare I try and adjust it myself?
I wouldn't (I think little of my dexterity in this respect, and I am a coward when it comes to expensive toys), but you definitely might - it's feasible; we're talking about distance adjustment that can actually be done without taking the camera apart. Vertical alignment of the rangefinder (not exactly overlapping images in the rangefinder patch) would have you lose the red dot, but adjusting things for correct distance measurement is done via the lever inside the mount.

This is the quick and dirty version, but basically well thought through (including caveats); there's more to it in some cases (if both infinity and MFD are off), but I remember finding things out over about half an hour of dedicated research.

M.

I wouldn't (I think little of my dexterity in this respect, and I am a coward when it comes to expensive toys), but you definitely might - it's feasible; we're talking about distance adjustment that can actually be done without taking the camera apart. Vertical alignment of the rangefinder (not exactly overlapping images in the rangefinder patch) would have you lose the red dot, but adjusting things for correct distance measurement is done via the lever inside the mount.

This is the quick and dirty version, but basically well thought through (including caveats); there's more to it in some cases (if both infinity and MFD are off), but I remember finding things out over about half an hour of dedicated research.

M.
That seems reasonably unscary! That is a great video to keep in mind.

I think back to when I bought my rangefinder, inspecting the camera, checking to my satisfaction it had been updated and most importantly of all, taking a picture with an M mount lens. It was that last thing that clinched the sale as I saw the image I shot was in focus. I can see I was lucky but buying a used one from a dealer seems the way to go, on the one hand it will cost more but on the other hand you're likely saving yourself the time and expense of sending the camera for a CLA.

M.

It definitely seems something that I am confident to try on my own, given that it is only an adjustment to that hex screw. My focus target thing came today, so once I get through all these HEMA pics and get back from calling hours from a friend, that will be the next thing on my list to investigate. I really don't want to have to send it away. I can say that even the testing that I did, shooting street the other night was a very enjoyable experience for me. I want to keep that going. :)

Before I started delving into the depths of focus adjustments, I quickly picked up an m-mount to fuji X adapter so I can run the lens through a bit. I can see why people love these lenses! Holy smokes do they resolve some detail!

I ran test shots on the X-Pro2 (I chose this because it seemed to make sense usage wise and I may decide to get a Nikon Z adapter as well to run on the Z fc). These lenses are resolving details and textures like no ones business. What it also does is give me a test set of images I can use to check the focus accuracy on the M240.

I also contacted Youxin Ye out of Massachusetts to see if they do M240 rangefinder adjustments. They said, yes - but only for walk in / local customers. Instead - I was sent a set of instructions on how to do the adjustment myself. So between that and the videos I already have - it is just a matter of making the attempt. If I cannot get it done myself, then I'll look into either returning the camera and getting another one or contacting Leica USA in New Jersey and see what the wait time is. I really don't want to wait another 6 months if that is still the backlog time.

Before I started delving into the depths of focus adjustments, I quickly picked up an m-mount to fuji X adapter so I can run the lens through a bit. I can see why people love these lenses! Holy smokes do they resolve some detail!

I ran test shots on the X-Pro2 (I chose this because it seemed to make sense usage wise and I may decide to get a Nikon Z adapter as well to run on the Z fc). These lenses are resolving details and textures like no ones business. What it also does is give me a test set of images I can use to check the focus accuracy on the M240.

I also contacted Youxin Ye out of Massachusetts to see if they do M240 rangefinder adjustments. They said, yes - but only for walk in / local customers. Instead - I was sent a set of instructions on how to do the adjustment myself. So between that and the videos I already have - it is just a matter of making the attempt. If I cannot get it done myself, then I'll look into either returning the camera and getting another one or contacting Leica USA in New Jersey and see what the wait time is. I really don't want to wait another 6 months if that is still the backlog time.
If it was me, I'd take a nice little vacation and drive over to Massachusetts to get it done on site (if you can't do it yourself, that is) :D

I'm almost serious, btw. - I did stuff like that once upon a time, even by bike with a *saxophone* on my back to get a *mouthpiece* tweaked - I was younger then and a whole lot more foolish than I am today ... oh, wait ... maybe my foolishness just shifted :p That said, I did pedal about half the distance you'd have to drive coming and going, but of course, it'd hardly feel adequate.

M.

Well, I think I did pretty good so far. I did make some small adjustments and the lenses are definitely better performing now. I was able to test 3 - 25 ft and those shots look good. Need to check infinity, but do not have a good line of sight for it. The 50mm seems to overshoot infinity marker (i heard some lenses do that by design). I can't really go by the 90mm test shots as it is f/4. The Biogon is still very sharp, seems like no matter what I do it is just awesome...lol...

Here are some test shots from the 50mm, all at f/2. Sunset hit and it is 30F (-1C), so not the best weather to be out in testing lenses. These are quick and dirty handheld shots. To be honest, not sure how often I'll be shooting these lenses wide open anyway (except maybe the 90mm f/4) but I think I can get it there to be able to use it for a while - until I get an opportunity to test infinity focus and usage of the focus checker card!

I also want to put a shout out to the German engineers that made the cam roller the way they did...makes self adjustments possible!!

full size and crops (I know not the best subjects) :)

Focus was on the middle of the pillow just below the first set of creases, right below where you see the arms bend in the chair.

03-19-2023_leica_adj1_L1001177.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

03-19-2023_leica_adj1_L1001177-2.jpg

Focused on the word "WEED"

03-19-2023_leica_adj1_L1001179.jpg

03-19-2023_leica_adj1_L1001179-2.jpg

Well, I think I did pretty good so far. I did make some small adjustments and the lenses are definitely better performing now. I was able to test 3 - 25 ft and those shots look good. Need to check infinity, but do not have a good line of sight for it. The 50mm seems to overshoot infinity marker (i heard some lenses do that by design). I can't really go by the 90mm test shots as it is f/4. The Biogon is still very sharp, seems like no matter what I do it is just awesome...lol...

Here are some test shots from the 50mm, all at f/2. Sunset hit and it is 30F (-1C), so not the best weather to be out in testing lenses. These are quick and dirty handheld shots. To be honest, not sure how often I'll be shooting these lenses wide open anyway (except maybe the 90mm f/4) but I think I can get it there to be able to use it for a while - until I get an opportunity to test infinity focus and usage of the focus checker card!

I also want to put a shout out to the German engineers that made the cam roller the way they did...makes self adjustments possible!!

full size and crops (I know not the best subjects) :)

Focus was on the middle of the pillow just below the first set of creases, right below where you see the arms bend in the chair.

View attachment 373572

View attachment 373573

Focused on the word "WEED"

View attachment 373574

View attachment 373575
You're definitely getting there - but if you look at the top of the last shot, you'll see that the cap is still a bit sharper than the writing you focused on; so's "Captain Jack's" - so, still back-focusing; however, from what I can estimate, I think you corrected for at least 70% of the amount, probably more, of the focus gap. That's a great achievement, very encouraging!

M.

Did some more tweaking today and I think I got it....and I also believe I found a local repair shop and will do a walk in sometime soon to see if the adjustments I did are correct. Not 100% sure on infinity focus, but I think that the adjustments I made are good.

All shot wide open at f/2 on the Zeiss Planar 50mm.

First the test target! On a tripod. Full shot (those are not sensor spots, but blemishes on my walls from putting up and taking down pictures) :)
03-20-2023_cw_m240_L1001235-2.jpg

Crop
03-20-2023_cw_m240_L1001235.jpg

Now some actual shots - hand held and at f/2

Scoobi - focus on the dog's right eye
03-20-2023_cw_m240_L1001246-2.jpg

03-20-2023_cw_m240_L1001246.jpg

lack of model? Find a statue! :)

03-20-2023_cw_m240_L1001273-2.jpg

03-20-2023_cw_m240_L1001273.jpg

No live view, rangefinder patch focusing only.

Day 2 - and I went out with the newly calibrated M240 rangefinder and the Zeiss Biogon C 35mm f/2.8

To use one of @MoonMind phrases - this lens is "bitingly sharp". I cannot believe how sharp even the RAW files looked before any processing. I used to think that the Nikon Z 50mm f/1.8S was the sharpest lens I've ever used - but this Zeiss Biogon may have supplanted it.

Tomorrow, if weather permits, I'll be going out and trying the Leica 90mm f/4.

Just a few from the cemetery visit and walk about with the dogs.

03-21-2023_eastlawnc_m240_L1001321.jpg

03-21-2023_eastlawnc_m240_L1001357.jpg

03-21-2023_eastlawnc_m240_L1001364.jpg

It looks like you have it sorted out! Yes, the Zeiss 35/2.8 is an excellent lens. The trouble is, there are so many excellent lenses (old and new) in the LM mount and they are for the most part, very small. Have fun!

I am thoroughly enjoying the experience! I think I may try my hand at shooting some street portraits with the 90mm f/4 once I get a round of experimentation with it.

Also, considering a Voigtlander Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Mark II for something "fun".

It looks like you have it sorted out! Yes, the Zeiss 35/2.8 is an excellent lens. The trouble is, there are so many excellent lenses (old and new) in the LM mount and they are for the most part, very small. Have fun!
I concur - except for perspective: The fact that there's so much great glass around is no trouble at all - our self-control may be the issue, but certainly not the availability of desirable lenses. :D

The Biogon C was my entry point into 35mm lenses for M mount, and it remains the "beacon" lens; that said, I recently "graduated" (cross-graded, more like) to two very enjoyable 35mm Voigtländer lenses, the Ultron 35mm f/2 II and the Nokton 35mm f/1.5. The C Biogon is better behaved than both, but the Ultron is extremely sharp, the Nokton renders very smoothly. Endless fun :)

If I had to pick only one, I'd still go back to the C Biogon, at least for the time being. I'll have to check the performance of the new Nokton at f/2.8 next, though - not that I think it'll surpass the C Biogon or even get close, but it'd be nice to be wrong about this ... btw. There's one thing both Voigtländers do better than the C Biogon, and that's core sharpness at or near their MFD. Important for me, but maybe not for others. At medium to long distances, the C Biogon reigns supreme (so far, and probably in the long run, too).

M.

I am thoroughly enjoying the experience! I think I may try my hand at shooting some street portraits with the 90mm f/4 once I get a round of experimentation with it.

Also, considering a Voigtlander Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Mark II for something "fun".
I have the 21/4 from them. Lovely lens even if I'm not a super-wide kind of guy.

I have the 21/4 from them. Lovely lens even if I'm not a super-wide kind of guy.

I was honestly being cheap. Lol. The 15mm locally was like $350USD, so I could justify that and not feel bad if I hate it. The widest full frame I’ve had prior was the Nikon 20mm f/2.8. Didn’t use that much but when you need it, there really is no substitute.

I did see some reviews about the 12mm Voigtlander, but cost is prohibitive as an “experiment”. 😜

Back