My month in New York City

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I'm spending April in New York City. I'll be doing a LOT of photography, needless to say. Based on the first day, it will be a mix of street and other stuff, but my emphasis always seems to be street. So I put this thread under street and documentary because that'll be most of it, but there will be plenty of other content. I'll likely wait and do most of my processing when I get home - I'm travelling with only an ipad and iphone and, as much as I like snapseed, I like Silver and Color Efex Pro eons better. So even a lot of shots I take a crack at with snapseed, I'll probably re-process later. But I'll be doing a bit of processing day by day and putting some shots up on Flickr and I'll try to trickle them out in this thread as well as sort of a day by day photo diary. I doubt I'll post daily, but will probably get something up most days.

So, if you're interested, keep an eye on this space, and if not, well, I appreciate having a place like this to be able to share for those who might be.

Ray

First day of shooting - 3/31/12

Arrived on Friday and got settled into my little (really little!) sublet studio apartment. Big enough for me, but when my wife comes to visit (which she plans do do at least a few times this month), its gonna be TIGHT! Hopefully in a good way...:rolleyes: Anyway, Saturday was rainy and/or cold all day, often both. I got out for a bit in the morning when it was wet and a bit more in the afternoon when it was freezing. Shot mostly with the X100 (which I'm starting to use more and more for street again, just using zone focus) and GXR-28. I also picked up another LX5 recently for cheap and took it along and there are a couple of these shots done with that.

View attachment 51636

View attachment 51637

View attachment 51638

View attachment 51639

Mitt Romney's new garage????
View attachment 51640

View attachment 51641

View attachment 51642

This one may be too grainy to work. Its hard to tell for sure on the ipad - so I apologize in advance for any technical issues that I literally just don't see!
View attachment 51643

Nice set Ray. I am so jealous,. I love this city for its beating heart....its vibe. It was where I started in street shooting. Must get back there some time.

Pete

Ray, I'm so glad that you were able to pull it all together to get your pied-à-terre in The Big Apple - and get this thread going! :drinks:

Looking forward to your views of the big city!

Day 2 - April 1st

Shot with the epl3 exclusively, mostly with the 12mm and a bit with the 14-150. The 12, with it's manual focus ring really is a pretty great little street lens. And when there's less light and I have to open the aperture a bit and switch to AF, it misses so rarely that I could shoot with AF all the time. Had a slow start through the north end of the Park and up to Harlem, but sort of got inspired once I got back down to Lincoln Center with all of its amazing geometry...

View attachment 51683

6890860814_5f3065a24b_c.png

View attachment 51684

View attachment 51685

View attachment 51686

View attachment 51687

View attachment 51688

View attachment 51689

April 3rd

Today, all with he X-Pro 1. Mostly touristy stuff - not much photography, a couple of street shots, and some shots in the dark shown elsewhere. This camera is AMAZING in low light... And one pano...

View attachment 51814

View attachment 51815

Very impressed with the panos. At least as good as the X10 - waaaaaay better than the X100 (which is a pretty low bar). I really jerked at one point while sweeping on this one and if you look closely you can see the problem in the cables supporting the bridge, but otherwise it looks about perfectly stitched. I don't do much of this but its kind of nice to know you can...
View attachment 51816

View attachment 51817

Through a fortune tellers front door:
View attachment 51818

View attachment 51819

View attachment 51820

View attachment 51821

View attachment 51822

View attachment 51823

-Ray

One more from yesterday. Intended just as a joke to send my wife with the suggestion that she get our dog to learn this one by the time I get home. But then I sort of liked the shadows and decided to do a quick B&W conversion. A shot that takes advantage of approximately NONE of the specific capabilities of this amazing camera! BTW, the previous B&W shot of the two women really DID require this camera's strengths. They were absolutely buried in really deep shadows in the actual exposure. To a point that pulling them out would have resulted in a noisy mess with pretty much any of my other cameras, with the possible exception of the X100. I pulled them waaaay up in the processing and they appear to have come through clean as a whistle. And this is starting with a JPEG, where you don't really expect to find that kind of latitude.

I'm not shooting or walking today. I'm tired and with a stream of visitors starting tomorrow and lasting through Sunday, I'm taking today off. Probably not a whole lot of shooting for the next several days until I start back into it for real next Monday.

View attachment 51847

-Ray

Ended up doing a bit of shooting today, just on a walk to do some errands.

View attachment 51855

I loved these guys - when you have a few free minutes at work, whip out the cards!
View attachment 51856

This camera makes you want to shoot some shallow DOF shots whether that's anything you'd ever be inclined toward otherwise or not.
View attachment 51857

-Ray

Back