Fuji My move from Mu-43

ranxoren

Regular
Hi Everyone,

ranxoren here from the mu-43 forums.
Due to recent life situations I have had to sell my mu-43 gear.
Thanks to a great friend, I was able to borrow a Fuji X-E1 with the 18-55mm lens for an indefinite period of time.

Coming from an OM-D, I love the analog controls and the more simple film-like style I've been getting on my test shots but I am definitely seeing a noticeable decrease in AF speed.
It does allow me to slow down and take my time which in my life right now is something I am appreciating :)

So for now, I am a Fuji X shooter.
Looking forward to meet all the people from this board!

Welcome! I'm really glad for you for making the jump. I personally have never been happier with the quality of my shots, the captured amount of fine detail is stunning, there's much less noise or even when there's noise, it's definitely the more pleasant-looking kind. It's like owning Blu-ray for the first time when I used to think that I'd be happy with just sticking to DVDs.

ranxoren, welcome from the halls of Mu-43 to the smaller yet very devoted group here at FujiXspot. I have a feeling you'll come to fall for that camera, at least I hope you do. Although I've never tried the XE-1, it is definitely on my "wish I had" list. I've got the X100 and it's smaller sibling the X10.

Glad to have you here and please share some of your photos with us soon!

ranxoren, welcome from the halls of Mu-43 to the smaller yet very devoted group here at FujiXspot. I have a feeling you'll come to fall for that camera, at least I hope you do. Although I've never tried the XE-1, it is definitely on my "wish I had" list. I've got the X100 and it's smaller sibling the X10.

Glad to have you here and please share some of your photos with us soon!

Thanks for the warm welcome to both of you :)
I had the x100 (pre-firmware upgrades) and just could not deal with the bad AF.
Absolutely loved it though.
Has the AF really improved?

I think so, but I'm probably one of the most accepting sorts when it comes to AF. Possibly because I don't photograph too many moving targets except my dog.:biggrin_old:

I still have both my OM-D E-M5 and X-Pro1. My E-M5 really doesn't get the use that it deserves. I think it comes down to two things for me.. Firstly I think I enjoy the experience of using the X-Pro1 more, and secondly I really love the Fuji XF lenses. I now have the 35, 18-55 and the 14. I do have the 25mm 1.4 and 20mm 1.7 for the E-M5, though there is no real equivalent to the XF 14mm, and I think the 18-55 XF lens is nicer (and much better value) than the Panasonic 12-35.

The E-M5 is a fine camera indeed. I just find the Fuji a little more fine.

I recently sold my E-M5. But not the µ43 lenses. I'll be back into µ43s, perhaps with the GX7 if it does turn out to have a tilt-able EVF and IBIS.

After seeing the output of the XF-14mm, I knew I needed that lens. That and not having used the E-M5 for a few months told me it was time to let someone who'd put the E-M5 to good use have it.

Have not regretted the decision at all. For what I shoot, the Fuji X-E1 is near enough to perfect.

Welcome aboard. I use both systems, µ4/3 and Fuji. The OM-D for important action type stuff and for ultra-wide and terribly long. I'm using Fuji for ... mmmh ... most everything else.

Gary

EDIT: After more research and having enjoyed the hybrid VF on the X100 I had for a little bit, I've decided that I'll probably get the X-Pro 1 with 18 and 35 primes.

I am now at a crossroad.
I really enjoy the Fuji line and think I'll be sticking with it.
Would you recommend (for roughly the same price):

A X-E1 with 18-55 and 35

OR

A X-Pro 1 with 18 and 35

Thoughts?

The optical viewfinder is wonderful, no waiting for the EVF/LCD to refresh. I'm an old fart photog who was shooting film with primes, (cuz zooms back then were all quite crappy), I would be quite happy with the XP1 and two primes. It takes be back to the good ol' days when I was shooting Leica without all the messy darkroom stuff. But, I think you'd be much better off with the 14mm as opposed to the 18mm.

I had an X-E1 for one day. I never took it out of the box. Took it back the next day and exchanged it for the XP1 and I'm happy I did. If it was me, assuming you are on a budget, I'd get the XP1 w/35mm (simply stellar), ana grip, then start saving for the 14mm. This would give you a better lens line-up and time alone with the 35mm and XP1 for you three to harmonize together ... get higher on the learning curve prior to purchasing a second lens. Knowing your equipment inside out, knowing the camera so well that it is merely and extension of your hands and eyes is a giant step towards consistently capturing the exceptional image and enhances your photographic experience.

Gary

Actually, I think the 18mm/35mm combo is a good choice ... if you want wide with minimal distortion. The 14mm is on the edge of UWA and much harder to avoid/control obvious distortions. But don't forget the grip.

G

Actually, I think the 18mm/35mm combo is a good choice ... if you want wide with minimal distortion. The 14mm is on the edge of UWA and much harder to avoid/control obvious distortions. But don't forget the grip.

G

I am now the lucky owner of an X-Pro 1 and 18/35 lenses.
It is such a joy to shoot with this.
I had given up on my X100 due to horrible horrible initial AF and worst MF but I am so glad to see that Fuji has done miracles through firmware upgrades.

Loving the OVF and film like IQ. Plus APERTURE RINGS!!!
I am in love.

I've looked for the grip in the Bay Area and could not find one. I'll try in Canada.

Welcome! I'm really glad for you for making the jump. I personally have never been happier with the quality of my shots, the captured amount of fine detail is stunning, there's much less noise or even when there's noise, it's definitely the more pleasant-looking kind. It's like owning Blu-ray for the first time when I used to think that I'd be happy with just sticking to DVDs.
Thank god Fuji made u a better photographer all of a sudden:laugh1::laugh1:but I disagree with blue ray vs DVD comparison Mikey .. Fuji is upscaling ur old DVD and making it look like Blue ray when actually it's not blue ray:rofl: do u remember Fuji' s cheating on ISO?

There are other grips out there not made by Fuji. Some are more expensive but the have access to the battery/card compartment. There are a few half cases which look pretty good with built-in grips and access to the battery/card. I purchased my grips at Samys Camera and B&H.

Gary

Back