My new serious compact: Fuji instax mini 90

wt21

Hall of Famer
B&H advertisting works I guess. They sent me an announcement, and I bought, lol

I think this will be fun
instax mini 90 | FUJIFILM

My kids are 12 and 9. Film is not instant enough for them, and digital is not tactile enough. This will be my first foray into instamatic cameras.

The pics are pretty small (the size of a credit card is what they say), but the camera looks to be fun.

The 90 added 3 new modes:
  • macro mode
  • dual exposure mode
  • bulb mode

rechargeable battery (good for 100 shots -- DPR would trash it, lol)

With Thanksgiving coming up then Christmas then a trip to Disney for New Years, I think we'll put a lot of use into it. I think for Disney, I'll take just this 90 and the RX100.

Love mine! Actually bought it from Japan. I love that I can finally turn the flash off on my Instax camera! My kids each have one too (standard Instaxes, not the 90) and I love what they do with them (call it "abstract" photography). The instant feedback is very rewarding for them. But it's gotten to where they each have a film budget so they don't blow through tons of film quickly.

On a personal note, we helped our dog pass on to her next adventure yesterday and the Instax was the perfect tool to capture her last day and to have small photos to remember her by. My kids created an alter with an Instax photo and a blueberry bush that a friend gave to us in memory of her.

I really treasure some of my Instax pics because they are cute and easy to do something with.

Andrew, thanks for sharing about your dog. I'm sorry to hear that.

Thank you also for sharing about your kids experience. Kind of validates what I was thinking would be the case.

Yes, Andrew - thank you. I knew someone else around here was getting one or had.

I'll add my condolences upon your dog's passing on. I am very touched by how your children chose to commemorate her.

Back when I used to use my Polaroid whatever it was in the 70 and into the 90s...it was always fun. There's a lot to be said for having the photograph right away...especially because you get to hold it in a print and keep it or give it away.:D

P.S. I wonder if the battery might match one from my other Fujis? That would be a nice way to help rationalize this buy.;)

Sorry to hear about your dog Andrew. I like how you phrased it, her passing on to "her next adventure.". Although it is sad news, it made me smile.

As for the camera. It looks great fun. Love the retro look.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your comments.

The Instaxes are great fun. The thing to know is that the other cameras (outside of the 90) forces the flash to fire. The 90 is the first one that allows you to control the flash.

This look like a fun tool. And perfect for kids to get a feel for a 'real photo' to hold and share. Having a dog that is nearing the end stage too made your comments especially touching.
I might look at one of these a gift this year.

kylie-november-2013-last-day-6_bw_800px.jpg

I have more but I don't want to mellow the place out with more pics of our old dog ; ) I have a lot that are unscanned. I use a paper scanner, not a photo scanner. Convert to B&W. The actuals prints are about the size of a business card.

Back