Sony My outa the box experience with my new-to-me used Sony A7Riii

Although, to be frank I don’t know how much it matters for most people. I’ve been shooting lossy compressed on my A7RIII for every day gee-whiz stuff and it’s fine. If I were shooting more critical stuff I’d switch it back, but for a walk around type day , no problem.
Tim, personally, I want as much data as the camera can give me. Otherwise, I would just shoot LSF JPEG (8 bit, 2.7:1 compression).

Ditto with software. S/W that cannot handle high bit depth, wide gamut colour spaces are quite limiting.

An example - LSF JPEG and RAW taken concurrently:

Ford%20Ute%20Mordialloc%20colour%20shift.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A reference is made to this in "Real World Adobe Camera Raw" by Schewe and Fraser.

Since this thread has gone off the rails, I thought I'd put this here.
I bought a Sony card for my new/used camera. I'm all for saving paper, but I hate having to get a magnifying glass to read the warranty info included with the card.
Just look at the size of that print!
DSC04970 (2) (Large).JPG

AOA: Perhaps it is a case of "well, if we HAVE to include a printed warranty, by golly we will give you a printed warranty". :sneaky: :LOL:

I wish my older A7R3 had lossless compressed, and that would be my goto format, but it is not like you are shooting jpegs. It does not reduce dynamic range or the like (as far as I know). What can happen is artifacts show up, typically along edges in high contrast scenes with backlighting or strong light sources. Many Sony shooters have never even noticed this, and you often have to pixel peep to find it. For more critical shooting (e.g. landscapes, astro, etc.) you would probably want to go with uncompressed to be safe. Otherwise, it is honestly not a big deal for most people, but I am glad lossless compressed is now there.

Now where did I put that credit card? Daddy needs a new (camera) body. :D

Personally I shoot compressed RAW and mainly because I can't see a difference, except one is 120mb and the other is 60mb file size.

Anyway back on track and let's see some more of those gorgeous old lenses of yours 😉

So my wife got after me to get our buildings for the train out of the garage rafters and man were they ever dirty. Well, the ones that weren't in the old Apple monitor box were. So thinking about how to clean them easily I came up with the idea of putting them in the bath tub and just hosing them off with the hand held sprayer.
Worked like a champ!
DSC05025 (2).JPG

Need to let them dry before making any repairs necessary before storing them again only this time in plastic bags.
Shot with the A7Riii w/24mm Nikkor at f2.8.

Went to the local zoo today as my son and his family drove up from San Diego to meet us there. Decided to try out the A7R3 w/24-105 lens.
I like using this camera/lens combo. I'm pretty happy with the results and can't wait to go to the San Diego Zoo with it.
DSC05103 (2) (Large).JPG

Resizing doesn't do justice to the pictures but it is what it is.
Shooting thru fences was a challenge but I think they came out pretty nice just the same.
DSC05117 (2).JPG

It was a very dull day light wise, no shadows at all with a lot of cloud cover.
DSC05129 (2).JPG

Hitting focus using the AF/MF button on the lens worked well for me.
DSC05150 (2).JPG

DSC05153 (2).JPG

DSC05163 (2).JPG

Reptiles behind glass are always tough, especially with the reflections.
DSC05169 (2).JPG

One more bird of prey, an American Kestrel, pretty little lady.
DSC05181 (2).JPG

I love the 24-105. It's one of my most used lenses. The only thing that could supplant it is something with a bit more reach, like a 24-120 or 135 or something of that nature.

I don’t use Adobe, I assumed they had it. Affinity and Darktable both have it.
Someday I may have to try some fancy schmancy software. Other than Topaz, which I've only recently began to use their noise reduction on occasion, I've simply relied on freeware, like Fastone and windows photo editing. I may try the more intricate editing software after my next computer purchase. My laptop is about 5 years old and I don't think it can take much more. I find myself deleting images from 4 and 5 years ago just to be able to download new ones from my camera. Ah, the wonders of technology. Funny, I don't remember having to throw out older images to fit newly developed fotomat envelopes of 36 or 24 in the bottom dresser drawer.

Someday I may have to try some fancy schmancy software. Other than Topaz, which I've only recently began to use their noise reduction on occasion, I've simply relied on freeware, like Fastone and windows photo editing. I may try the more intricate editing software after my next computer purchase. My laptop is about 5 years old and I don't think it can take much more. I find myself deleting images from 4 and 5 years ago just to be able to download new ones from my camera. Ah, the wonders of technology. Funny, I don't remember having to throw out older images to fit newly developed fotomat envelopes of 36 or 24 in the bottom dresser drawer.
DON'T DO THAT! You will regret it ...

Buy a big external HDD for archiving photos, preferably two, and do an A>B backup using SYNCBACK, or similar freeware. At least do this for RAW files, and anything that you have edited.

What connectors does your laptop have, Will?

I still re-edit RAW images I took with my Nikon Coolpix E5000 in 2005. Modern raw processing software does an appreciably better job than Photoshop CS4 and CS2 that I was using around that time.

These days I subscribe to Adobe Photographer's Package. I did the sums, and it's actually cheaper than any other paid software.

I still keep my licences for CS5 and CS6 Premium editions, purchased at student rates, when SWMBO was doing her Diploma in Ceramics and Fine Arts degree courses.

Someday I may have to try some fancy schmancy software. Other than Topaz, which I've only recently began to use their noise reduction on occasion, I've simply relied on freeware, like Fastone and windows photo editing.
You can do a lot with FastStone Viewer. I even sent the programmer a donation, so have a licensed copy!
My laptop is about 5 years old and I don't think it can take much more.
Can you upgrade the HDD to either a bigger SSD, or better still, a bigger NVME.2 drive? A LOT cheaper than a new laptop ...

You still need to backup onto external spinning HDDs.

When HDDs fail, they do so gracefully, i.e. usually possible to rescue most or all of the content. Two copies makes this close to certainty for all your data.

When SSDs fail, they tend to fail catastrophically. One microsecond your data is there, next microsecond it's gone forever.

Back