Pentax My Pentax Q7 and Lenses Review

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
Ready for this one everybody???

Best Light Photographic BLOG: Pentax Q7 Review

If you don't want to read the whole thing or see the images, here is the bottom line:

"This is not a camera for everyone, and you may be thinking why on earth would I even get one. I saw some good things from it from the online forums and the price is so low now, when you find a bargain that it is a good time to experiment.

I'm a big proponent of viewfinders and I'm not really falling in love with the rear LCD. Not because it is horrible...but I just prefer the view and stability of a optical or electronic viewfinder. I might find an alternative to it in some way. Not sure what that looks like at the moment.

So why use this when there is so much on paper that is against it when looking at other small, interchangeable lens camera systems?

Honestly, it is a bit of fun. It is something different and I've not been exposed to a Pentax anything before. There are some really well laid out controls and menu functions as well. I always say that you can learn something from everyone...and gear is no different. All technologies have a contribution.

I'm very happy with what I'm seeing up through ISO 1600 and in good light the files hold up well when shot in JPG. You can eek out a bit more quality if you shoot in RAW. With the 01 Prime, you can put this thing in your pant pocket, it is that small. It is something you can keep with you ll the time with little hassle. You will be a bit more limited with it...but just remember that and shoot to the strengths of the system.

It would not be my first or favorite choice for very dark, low light shooting unless I had the ability to shoot on tripod and at base ISO."

Nice blog post (and yes, I read it all). I was most interested to see the results of the shield lens (is that the equivalent of the body cap in the Olympus stable?).. some nice shots there. I'm glad you wrote the post because it helped me to decide *not* to keep looking for one. If the Q had a tilty/flippy screen, I'd still keep looking, but I'm at the stage now where I need to have either a viewfinder, or a tilty/flippy screen... so the Q is out. Well written and considered post!

Nice blog post (and yes, I read it all). I was most interested to see the results of the shield lens (is that the equivalent of the body cap in the Olympus stable?).. some nice shots there. I'm glad you wrote the post because it helped me to decide *not* to keep looking for one. If the Q had a tilty/flippy screen, I'd still keep looking, but I'm at the stage now where I need to have either a viewfinder, or a tilty/flippy screen... so the Q is out. Well written and considered post!

Yes, it is very similar to the Olympus BCL except it does not have a focus slider or a mechanism to cover the lens portion. Definitely way more lo-fi as well.

I agree, the viewfinder is something I miss. I'm thinking of either getting/making a 40mm hotshoe viewfinder or wire sport finder.
That or making one from an old fixed lens camera. I'm also toying with the idea of getting one of those rear screen loupes like the Hoodman to use as a viewfinder. It cuts down on the portability and smallness, but would be a way to not be locked into one field of view with an optical finder.

A very nice write up, thanks for that. Although the Q probably isn’t for me, I’ve always been intrigued by it.

I'm at a point where I have all that I "need" for my pro shooting. I'm now branching out into my fringe zone and checking out what is there. The Pentax Q surprised me. If you ever get a chance to try one, definitely do. May not be a keeper, but there are just some things that Ricoh/Pentax get right that others do not.

I had an original Q (that I found at a significant discount), and at one point, the 01, 02, and 06 lenses. They've all been sold over the past couple of years, but I got some decent images, especially with the 06 lens.

I had an original Q (that I found at a significant discount), and at one point, the 01, 02, and 06 lenses. They've all been sold over the past couple of years, but I got some decent images, especially with the 06 lens.

The 02 is really surprising me. It is much better than a lot of other reviewers have given it credit. Maybe there is a sample variation issue and I got a good one or maybe they reviewed it on the original Q or Q10 with the smaller sensor and the bigger sensor in the Q7 makes enough of a difference.

I almost used the Q7 for the SIJ challenge. The controls are a joy to use and you can just work with the small sensor issues in the usual ways, e.g., convert to B&W to deal with high iso noise, etc. I always thought the Q7 with the 01 prime was a great street shooter.

I've still had a bit of a hankering for this one but they are like hens teeth these days!
I was very excited about buying one (barely used on ebay), and loved the ergonomics and upgrades from the XZ-2, but the files were such a disappointment - I sold it for a heavy loss, and had a bad taste in my mouth ever since! Maybe I got a bad copy, as there are lots of positive reviews about it.

This is a great, informative review of a camera system that had piqued my interest also - as all tiny cameras do, despite them often being too small for comfort!

I liked the effect of the shield lens in the curving staircase photo, and enjoyed the image selection overall.

Cheers,

Melanie

The files from any 1/1.7 inch sensor are a mixed bag, especially with regard to noise. High iso for the Q7 is about 800. If I need to go higher, I switch to B&W and go for a different look, i.e., film with grain. This works fine if you are doing artsy street stuff. The problem with the Stylus is that you often want to use that 300 mm equivalent lens for nature or landscapes and it can be limiting.

Anyone have any thoughts on the benefit of the blog post also including a video review to go with it? I wouldn't drop the writing, as I know a lot of people prefer the written with image samples and not everyone has the time to watch a video.

I'm trying to find a good way to deliver content but to do it in the best possible way for consumption. Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

My initial thought is to do smaller video clip segments that go along with each section of the blog post. Not sure if that would seem rather fractured or not. My other thought is to do one flowing video that covers all the blog pieces, but then include a direct time link to the section so that people can get to right where they want if they don't want to watch the whole thing.

I, also, prefer to read, but in part that is due to having limited data - that's still a thing for some people! But your suggestion of having time links to specific parts of your review is excellent. Watching a video also really helps get an idea of a unit you've not handled before.

Can't hurt to have a video as well, there's no better way (other than in person) to get a true appreciation for the size or handling of a camera than watching someone turning it over in their hands... (y)

Back