Leica My question is about travel and equipment choice. An old topic ....

Raid

All-Pro
OK, so here is my last minute "self debate"; I am traveling with my family (wife and two young daughters), and I wonder what is really more suitable here, considering the weight of the chosen equipment and the enjoyment of using certain equipment in the trip.

Option A: Leica M9, 35mm 1.4 Summilux plus Hasselblad SWC
Option B: Leica M9, 35mm 1.4 Summilux plus Leica M8, 45mm 2.0 Zeiss Planar

Each option has its charms. The SWC can produce lovely images, but it is bulky and heavy and requires film. Such a camera may be better suited for slow paced photography, but it does produce images that are very nice looking.

I need to decide very soon! [flip a coin?]

Raid

I would simplify even more, M9 with the 35 Lux and a few extra batteries. Put the M8 body only in your suitcase if you want a backup.

On my last trip to Korea I brought only my Monochrom, 50 Lux ASPH and a few batteries. It was liberating, and I don't think I missed much. Next time I'll go 35 only.

Check all SD cards before using- I made that mistake once.

As one pf the Project Officers told me- Five is Two, Two is One, One is None... Why I like traveling by Car. Bring 5 cameras.

I have been erasing images only by the camera and not by computer. I transfer first all images to my computer, followed by formatting the SD card in the Leica. So far, no problems at all.

Raid

I agree with your selection....simple and broadly useful. You have a unique film camera and it's suited to some very interesting perspectives, if you have the time and inclination. M9 will give you great image quality and flexibility. Smartphones with good cameras are awfully useful....but emotionally kind of unfulfilling, especially when you have such good gear.

I don't have those choices and I am going to Hawaii fairly soon. We travel really light and that's a problem because I would want to take my Hasselblad 503cx, an M camera, and a waterproof digital camera (TG 4). Really would like to have a good DSLR like my 7100 but now things way too complicated and big. When I mean Hawaii....I mean volcanoes, rain forest, humidity...not beach and resorts....always worried about Leica stuff and any lenses. Oh well....enjoy your trip and your excellent portfolio of chosen gear.

the smartest thing....take no luggage....put a few things in a small back pack, including laptop/iPad, and Olympus TG 4.

Raid, I usually stress over what equipment I like to bring when I travel. I like to travel light but at the same time, don't want to not have the right equipment for those once in a lifetime situation. But the reality is, most the lens stay in the bag the whole trip. I might use them just for the sake of using them since I already have them or I will spend more time trying to figure which lens to use and ended up not enjoying the time with my family which is ultimately, the main reason for the trip. For those trips where I only have one lens with me, (usually the 50mm lux asph), I find that I am enjoying the trip more, and I also ended up figuring out how to maximize the use of that focal length. I also have a better shoulder at the end of the trip.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. Sitting here in the office very jealous.

Raid, I usually stress over what equipment I like to bring when I travel. I like to travel light but at the same time, don't want to not have the right equipment for those once in a lifetime situation. But the reality is, most the lens stay in the bag the whole trip. I might use them just for the sake of using them since I already have them or I will spend more time trying to figure which lens to use and ended up not enjoying the time with my family which is ultimately, the main reason for the trip. For those trips where I only have one lens with me, (usually the 50mm lux asph), I find that I am enjoying the trip more, and I also ended up figuring out how to maximize the use of that focal length. I also have a better shoulder at the end of the trip.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. Sitting here in the office very jealous.

Very true!

My last family trip to Asia (in-law's house as home base) I brought the Leica X (equiv 35/1.7) and my M-E with 35, 50 and 90mm lenses. The bag stayed at the house every day and I would go out with either the X or the M-E with 50mm lens (Jupiter 3).

A few months later I went to Korea alone (military duty) and brought only the M Monochrom and 50 Lux ASPH.

In December the family will travel again, to Japan, Korea and Thailand and while I will again bring the bag, it will contain only the two M bodies and 35, 50 and 90mm Leica lenses. I usually do a semi-formal family portrait shoot each time and will use the 50 and 90mm lenses for that, but otherwise I'll likely just wander around with the M-E and the 35mm lens. Before I had the 35mm f/2.5 Summarit which was too slow for night/indoor photography on the M-E, but now that I have the 35 Summilux I could easily get by with just that one body and lens and not feel like I'm missing anything.

Back