Leica My question is about travel and equipment choice. An old topic ....

The visit yesterday to Leica went very well. We received VIP treatment for sure. Three high ranking Leica officials met with us. The visit started with lunch around 12:30. and it ended around 4:30 after a great presentation by the optics designer of Leica. Then we sat in Leica Coffee Shop and chatted. It was a very friendly reception by Leica to our small RFF group.

Oliver Kaltner talked about his vision for Leica, and he went over his employment past and his contributions to other companies before he came to Leica. I will post photos after we get back to the USA some time in June. Kaltner addressed Lina and Dana as the next generation of Leica users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stefan Daniel spent one hour touring the history of Leica in the splendid new hall in the new Leica building. He addressed all questions put to him by us. This was a special treat.

Oliver Kaltner gave us about 45 minutes of his busy time, and he was very nice to all of us. Herr Kaltner shared with us his vision for Leica, explaining to us how optical engineering was the foundation and also the future . A treat indeed.

Silke Benrhardt did first class organizing and hosting of the events. Her role was crucial. Thank you!

Peter Karbe gave us a detailed slide presentation of Tradition and Innovation at Leica. It was a 75 minute presentation. Again, a real treat.

Sounds like a fantastic visit and tour, hard to imagine many other companies that would take such time to spend with the customers. Leica is a very special company.

Sounds like a fantastic visit and tour, hard to imagine many other companies that would take such time to spend with the customers. Leica is a very special company.
You leave the Leica building with extra attachment to using Leica cameras. There is something about the pride displayed in what they collectively have accomplished over the past years. At one stage during the discussion by the CEO, he mentioned that "Leica did not share with Company X products, but we shared ideas on optical engineering.'

The Leica cameras made by Leica that I've had have all been splendid, but they really need to fix that relationship with Panasonic, who have been putting the Leica name on some really crappy lenses.

Sounds like they made an attempt to dazzle you with pomp, circumstance, and regaling stories of past war stories. I certainly do not begrudge leica for reminding everyone how they came to lead the pack for so many years and to proudly tout their innovations. This is a great company and certainly has a future. Are they now like Rolex....or Tiffany...or maybe Cartier? There is some really fantastic innovation, affordable innovation, coming from Japan....and when the time comes to stop the copy business and cheap manufacture model....China. There is tremendous intellectual heft and entrepenurial spirit in China.

I can'[t speak to their relationship with Panasonic.....it was coy to say they "share optical ideas" with company X. It does demean the Leica brand if indeed Dale is correct. I think Zeiss may have Leica's "six" when it comes to optical design, affordability, and product diversity. Sony, a very innovative company may have their boot on Zeiss's neck......but you can find a quality zeiss lens for just about any cam.

And now....what about the smartphone thing?

Very glad to hear how much fun was had by all.

I support Leica and its innovations. It is a class above the rest. Leica has always had working relations with Zeiss, and they are developing amazing products. They did not mean SONY when they mentioned that they shared ideas. They meant that their working with other companies is providing the other side with new ideas in optical designs and engineering.

I did not mean SONY either.....but because of a previous post....to Panasonic. What do you suppose they are getting in return for providing whomever with new ideas in optical designs and engineering.? I hope its learning how to make something affordable that works and feels like a LEICA.

I did not mean SONY either.....but because of a previous post....to Panasonic. What do you suppose they are getting in return for providing whomever with new ideas in optical designs and engineering.? I hope its learning how to make something affordable that works and feels like a LEICA.

Sony undoubtedly has their optics covered well, from the low cost to the pro gear. I can't speak about Panasonic's professional gear (whatever that may be), but I can tell you with some conviction that their $700 pocket ZS100 camera has a poor lens that's labeled Leica, and it's obvious from the model number (i.e. 'ZS' or 'TZ') that they regard it as a low-ball item like the ZS50, in spite of the $700 price, which very likely accounts for the poor lens quality. Certain Panasonics that share a specific model with Leica (i.e. LX100 and D-Lux typ 109) tend to have better lenses. Alhough that would not apply to the Panasonic LF1 and Leica C. Both of those were very poor.

The FZ1000 has been received fairly well.....and there's a raging controversy on another more general photo site about how it compares to the flagship bridge camera from Sony RX10 III......for much less dough. One reason the sony shines is it's Zeiss lens, or so they say.

However, I think Panasonic is mainly pro gear with video....that seems highly regarded and Leica is probably buzzing around that. Don't know about Leica video but they could probably use some expertise. I will go out on a limb and suggest, although hardly the first, that video could supercede stills and perhaps even provide some very high quality still options.

Sony undoubtedly has their optics covered well, from the low cost to the pro gear. I can't speak about Panasonic's professional gear (whatever that may be), but I can tell you with some conviction that their $700 pocket ZS100 camera has a poor lens that's labeled Leica, and it's obvious from the model number (i.e. 'ZS' or 'TZ') that they regard it as a low-ball item like the ZS50, in spite of the $700 price, which very likely accounts for the poor lens quality. Certain Panasonics that share a specific model with Leica (i.e. LX100 and D-Lux typ 109) tend to have better lenses. Alhough that would not apply to the Panasonic LF1 and Leica C. Both of those were very poor.

I've seen some very nice images from the Leica C. For its size and sensor, I'd say its about as good optically as it could be at the time.

They will most likely have in place some agreements for sharing advanced technologies. They are working with a smartphone producer, for example. Leica explained to the technical team of that company that they should try out having a monochrome sensor and a color sensor in two lenses,followed by combining the two images into one image to improve clarity and contrast.

Back