Leica My recent choice (i.e., old ... or new?)

carlb

All-Pro
The new Q almost had me. 28mm is superb for scenic landscape (much of what I shoot), and that feature set, and sharpness. Maybe I should have gone that route ...

But I've learned to trust my gut. And it's told me after all this time that what I've really wanted is that Kodak CCD sensor in the M9. Full frame detail along with color and contrast that can't be beat. Yes, I wish it had the live view as in the M240 or X-Vario or Q. Extremely useful for determining optimum exposure on-the-fly. But if that's exclusive of the big CCD sensor, I'll let that go.

So tonight, after almost pulling the trigger on a Q, I instead found an M9 that made me press the "Buy it Now" button. Lowish shutter count for a lowish price, in decent shape.

Should arrive sometime next week. In the meantime, a bit of what I've shot recently with the M240 and it's superbly sharp Leica R f4 35-70mm. I won't be getting rid of that pair, no.

But it will be tough to wait for the M9 to show up. I have a Leica and a few Zeiss lenses that are ready to head out with it.

18923517925_1492709bc8_b.jpg
garvin heights overlook
by Carl B, on Flickr

18742758541_b20c9dd34f_b.jpg
wild at shore
by Carl B, on Flickr

18458036820_378be976a2_b.jpg
photog walk
by Carl B, on Flickr

17986669583_c5a7f5a4f8_b.jpg
mississipi river morning
by Carl B, on Flickr

18402418532_bff038550a_b.jpg
yellow goats beard - tragopogon dubius
by Carl B, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck with it. i know the shelf life of most digicams is measured in months, but there are some classics whose results defy time. the m9 is in this category. i shoot another, the rd1. i too love ccd rendering, the absolute simplicity, no coding, no color cast, no focus shift, no bull. just really nice rendering. since i dont print poster size, in real life practice 99% of the time i have zero issue with its lack of mps. in fact i just used it to photograph a recent family event and every single person commented on how special the results were. same case with the m9. hope you post some pix.

The M9, M Monochrom, M8- there is something about a CCD that delivers an image as close to raw photon count on the sensor that you will get. When the M9 arrives, try a fast lens or a wide-lens on it, and on the M240 - with lens detection turned off.

I've used a J-12 on the M9 without lens detection, and the results at the edges show how good the Kodak CCD with the offset microlens array can be. I'm always amazed.

If you have the M240, it's my thought that the 35-70 f4 should be its default lens. And Thanks, Vince :)

Brian, I have 25mm f2.8 Biogon, a 35mm f2 Biogon, and a 35mm f2 Summicron that will give it its first workout. I plan to head out from work early, the weather will determine where I first take it.

Tony, I've shot Kodak CCD with the old Olympus E1. Five-million amazing and beautiful pixels. I just wish I hadn't waited so long to pick up and M9. :)

Carl, I don't use the 35-70 because I really try to avoid the EVF as much as possible. I have to agree that the 35-70 is an amazing lens.

Carlb - Congrats on your recent purchase. I'm curious though, if you have a 240 already why purchase the M9? From what I've read in other forums you can obtain similar results from the 240 by PP if you really want the look of the CCD. I'm saving up to buy a M9 now but I've been tempted to purchase a 240 instead, mainly for the ability to use R lenses. The only reason I'm still leaning towards a M9 is the fact that I have a M9M, and they share the same battery / charger.

Mijo, some folks might be able to get the M9 CCD "feel" from post processing M240 images. But I don't think I could.

There is just something great about the old Kodak KAF CCD sensor images. Something very "analog" and rich about them. I've posted a few images from it taken yesterday and earlier: https://www.leicaplace.com/threads/1237/

I'm so looking forward to shooting in fall colors with the M9!

Nah, these have post, Tony. My processing is to first recover splatted brights with the raw conversion, if needed/possible. Then crop for composition if needed. Then work with region masking and push a region or kick the contrast or sharpness on a region a bit. Some guys might be able to pull the above SOOC, but I can't. :D

The above post complements how I shoot, which is to expose such that the skies aren't blown, then use post to recover the brightness in given regions.

I feel I've done a good job if the shot draws me in more than straight from the camera, yet someone couldn't immediately tell that I processed the shot. :)

Note, the above are from the M240, which I still enjoy shooting. My first M9 shots are in this thread: https://www.leicaplace.com/threads/1237/

thanks. ive just read so much about color cast/ color shift etc that i was amazed if they were OOC. but it sounds like fairly minimal processing which youd do regardless of cam.

Back