Sony My Sony RX100 in NY with test shots... [imgs]

phdezra

Regular
Got my hands on an RX100 from a friend back from Japan directly. Wow - what a camera! Took it to my favorite park across the street from my office -- you know I love those real-user, average Joe tests (after all, any professional can make great photos with even a mediocre camera; the key is for the mediocre photog to make great images!)

Snappy camera, fast handling, amazingly quick and most important: great images. Tried it for 90 shots; selling it. Loved it!!! Buuuuut I have the E-M5 now and really don't need it even though I ordered it ages ago. (Will be selling on the For Sale forum.)

I set the camera to a mere 10MP (down from its native 20MP!) and shot in P mode and iAuto to see how it would perform. 95% of my shots were keepers. I spent my time on people, since that is what I mainly take images of friends and family. That said, while I like the camera, I realize I dont need $700 invested in it. Going for sale soon, with under 100 test shots. Works flawlessly. I'm sure it will make someone happy, but again since I carry my E-M5 everywhere nowadays, I just dont need it.

Some test shots (full Flickr set is available here: RX100 - a set on Flickr ) and here is a link to video Unboxing Sony RX100 unboxing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Details in her wisps of hair is astounding (and yet this is at the 10MP setting!)
7489664258_7fc7cc3dce_h.jpg

7489665664_ae1db2edfd_h.jpg

7489666828_50c82859f6_h.jpg

This photo taken in harsh sunlight - nice performance and DR handling!
7489667212_8d60b906c1_h.jpg

This woman was sitting in 95 degree direct sun. The RX100 did a superb job capturing the detail without blowing out highlights. Bravo!
7489668394_aa9640e791_h.jpg

Pointing straight at Grace building in NYC. Look at the sky blue and details in the building. If you check out the Original size in Flickr set you can even see lights in the building that are on. Detail unreal.

7489670168_8d68a28ba1_h.jpg

7489671234_61264c7705_h.jpg

I managed a quick play here in the UK with a pre production model and the camera is tiny. It's superbly built and the camera is pretty easy to use. I think it will be a sure fire winner but I just didn't want one. It made me feel cold towards it which is a real shame. Roll on LX7 and XZ-2!!

I think it will be a sure fire winner but I just didn't want one. It made me feel cold towards it which is a real shame. Roll on LX7 and XZ-2!!

It does lack a bit of 'character' when holding it compared to the XZ-1, if that matters. However, the image output is the real determinant. We'll see what the XZ-2 has inside of it (in terms of sensor) and the LX-7.

I do think that the XZ-2 (if built upon the XZ-1's lens) could be superior simply because of the lens. Yes, I know the RX100 has a "Zeiss T* lens" but a lot of that is marketing as well. The XZ-1 lens was superb and simply bigger/better glass regardless of the same max aperture. Stay tuned, for sure...

I managed a quick play here in the UK with a pre production model and the camera is tiny. It's superbly built and the camera is pretty easy to use. I think it will be a sure fire winner but I just didn't want one. It made me feel cold towards it which is a real shame. Roll on LX7 and XZ-2!!

The exact same reason I traded in the NEX-7 for the X-Pro1

Back