Fuji My thoughts on the 50mm f1.0

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
I've had the 50mm 1.0 a little over a week now. Which happened to be a week I was off of work. So I got to shoot with the 50 1.0 quite a bit. While there are a ton of reviews out there. I know we like to hear about gear from the people we know when they have it.

Build quality is very solid. This thing is built like a tank. Easily one of Fuji's best built lenses. Weight wise, yes it is second heaviest prime lens in the Fuji lineup, second to the 200mm. But, to put it into better perspective. If you have have ever shot with the 16-55 2.8, the 50 f1 is similar in size, weight, balance, and feel to that. For me the 50 balances well on the X-T3. And for anyone coming from, or who have ever shot with DSLRs, the 50 is lighter than what you are used to.

The autofocus is fast and accurate. Using my standard seatomypantsometer, it is just behind the 90mm f2 in terms of pure speed. Which I attribute to the size/weight of the glass elements being moved in the 50. In terms of accuracy, the 50 locks on and focuses instantly. There is not moving in and out to find focus. And the only time I could get it to hunt for focus was in lighting conditions so dark/bad that you would not be taking photos anyway. There is some responsibility on the photographer here, as the DOF at f1 is super thin, even on APSC sensors. I found the 50 focused well and quickly using Fuji's face/eye detection. Both in single point/single shot, and in zone/constant tracking.

This was a test shot just to see how well/fast the 50 would lock focus. it was night time, dark outside. With the only light coming from my bedroom window and the decorative lights. I put the focus point on the white area where the zipper is. It locked focus instantly.
i-RTHKQdj-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Image quality, again is ranking up there as one of Fuji's best. For me personally, I found a while back that I preferred 50mm to 56mm on the Fuji system. But I preferred the capabilities of f1.2 on the 56mm. For me, the difference in price is worth it for the 50. But for others, ymmv. I find I much prefer the rendering, DOF, character, and transition from out of focus to in focus parts of the image better on the 50. While I have seen some reviewers say that the 50 is not as sharp as the 56. I have found it to be plenty sharp on everything I have shot with it.

I got to shoot a little bit of everything I normally shoot. Minus beach stuff. But enough to give me an idea of what the 50 f1 is capable of. At this point I am thinking this is now my favorite lens of all time. And it's replacing the 16mm(24mm FF) as my favorite focal length to work with. Although shifting favorite focal lengths over time is a normal part of photography.

macro with 11mm extension tube
at f1
DSCF9886-L.jpg

DSCF9895-L.jpg

Cemetery
DSCF9853-L.jpg

DSCF9898-L.jpg

DSCF9876-L.jpg

Long exposure at f1, cause that's what everyone really wants to know about with this lens
DSCF9801-L.jpg

Sort of event work
DSCF0116-L.jpg

DSCF0117-L.jpg

DSCF0118-L.jpg

Sun stars
DSCF0781-L.jpg

Cats and Chickens
DSCF9727-L.jpg

DSCF9707-L.jpg

Bands, and at the bar with the worst/darkest lighting in town
DSCF0204-L.jpg

DSCF0230-L.jpg

DSCF0273-L.jpg

DSCF0739-L.jpg

And of course portraits
DSCF0006-L.jpg

DSCF0151-L.jpg

DSCF0766-L.jpg

Back