Micro 4/3 My thoughts on the Lumix GX9.

minimalist82

Hey guys, I wanted to share some musings on the Lumix GX9 and share some images.

st_ives_2021-110.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I’ve been using it as my primary camera since 2020. I bought it to replace my GX8 and I also owned the GX80. I loved different things about both the GX80 & GX8 but to me the GX9 brought together my most of my favourite features in the older 2 models together. The plus points for me were.
  • Smaller form factor
  • 20mp sensor with no anti aliasing filter
  • Tilting screen
  • 5 axis stabilisation
  • Dedicated exposure compensation wheel
  • Excellent shutter mechanism
  • Fast startup time and snappy performance
  • Dedicated switch for manual / auto focus.
I did prefer the metal build of the GX8 and the ergonomics, but the GX9 feels well built and the smaller form factor is actually better for me in terms of portability. I’m not so worried about the inferior EVF either as I mostly compose with the screen. Weather sealing would have been nice but I can live without it and I haven’t had any issues so far.

P1016815.jpg

The GX9 instantly felt familiar and I've really enjoyed it over the past couple of years. I have it set up perfectly to suit my style and using it is second nature. I never find myself fumbling with settings. I've been really impressed by the output, but then I've never had any issue with the Lumix system in terms of image quality.

st_ives_2021-47.jpg

I use primes exclusively and 80% of the time I use the PL25mm F1.4. To me it feels great, it balance really well and is probably about as a big as I would want on there. the rest of the time I use the PL15mm F1.7, which is also incredible. I'm always torn between those two lenses.

I love the asthetic of the camera, minimal and stylish and I know this shouldn't be so important, but when I see it I just want to pick it up and use it.

annecy_2020-96.jpg

My main use case for this camera is really just to take it with my as often as I can and capture what I find interesting and for that it has been great. I'm not shooting video, so issues such as mic input are not an issue. Battery life could be better but I just carry a couple of batteries with me.

IMG_4856.JPG

I honestly think I'm set for some time. there is always something newer and shiny to try and take my attention, but then I just just try and focus my energy on creating something interesting rather than chasing the tech. I would recommend this camera!

goose-1.jpg

Fantastic demonstration of the capabilities of the GX9. When I owned it I also found it to be a very straightforward camera for recording your inspiration. Paired with excellent M4/3 primes it is really hard to go wrong with it! I also really like your moody images and colors. I'm always ready for more blue hour photos.

Fantastic images and thoughts.

I own the Gx8, one of my all-time favourites. Ultimately, I couldn't accept a few things about the Gx9 (and Gx85) and to me it remains a "so close but not quite right" device. But that G9 sensor is very very good.

I concur. GX9 is currently the only camera that I am using, with a couple of prime lenses (P20&P42.5). Except for the shortcoming of the battery life and useless EVF, GX9 IMHO is a genuine “bang for the buck” camera that you can find at its price tag (approx. US$450 in China).

Nice write-up - and very, very nice pictures.

I largely concur with most of your points, being a fellow GX9 owner myself. When I acquired mine, it replaced a GX8, which I had truly loved, but part of me also missed the smaller form factor of the GX7, my previous Lumix. I've used mine quite a bit with the PL15mm lens as well, although on a recent trip to Mexico, I took the GX9 with the tiny pancake-like 20mm lens, and discovered that they make a near pocketable combo.

If you are a fan of black & white photography, I would recommend you try the GX9's internal monochromatic 'Photo Style' "l.monochrome.d" - one of the most inherently lovely internal monochromatic settings for any camera I have ever used.

Thanks for posting this, it reminds me again of why I like this little camera so much.

Hey thanks all for the nice comments, sounds like some of you are on the same page!

If you are a fan of black & white photography, I would recommend you try the GX9's internal monochromatic 'Photo Style' "l.monochrome.d" - one of the most inherently lovely internal monochromatic settings for any camera I have ever used.

I have experimented a little and I did quite like the results. However I’m a bit of a big fan of post processing and the output differs quite a bit from how I would process b&w. Saying that though I think I’m going to give it another shot. I can still do JPEG +Raw and it would be nice to have a usable image straight out of camera.

I own the Gx8, one of my all-time favourites. Ultimately, I couldn't accept a few things about the Gx9 (and Gx85) and to me it remains a "so close but not quite right" device. But that G9 sensor is very very good.

I know what you mean, the GX8 holds a special place in my heart, I enjoyed my time with it. I think my dream M/43 camera would be combination of Gx8 & Gx9. The size, shutter, sensor and up to date features of the GX9 with the build quality, weather sealing and great EVF of the GX8. I suppose that is what I hoped the GX9 was going to be, but it ended up more like an update to the GX80. Ah well!

I took the GX9 with the tiny pancake-like 20mm lens, and discovered that they make a near pocketable combo.

I really want to try this lens, I think the focal length would be perfect for me, and the compact size is really appealing!

Yes, possibly mine too. With a weathersealed PL15 lens!

Also, I look at the size of the Sony A7c and I can't help but dream of a FF L Mount GX8 , lol. Come on Panny, you can do this.

I agree. And as an owner of an A7c, I’d look to swap for a FF GX8 for the better ergos/menus/expected EVF. The L-Mount Sigma 24/45/90 trio would pair perfectly to Panny adds some smaller lenses.

If the GX9 was weather-sealed and with the GX8 viewfinder, I would probably just had two of them and been more than happy to tote them untill they went to camera heaven, somewhere down the line. As it is, I like most things about it and like shooting with it, but I dont love it as such, but that probably has to do with a feeling of being shanked by Panasonic when they released it. 😲 :unsure:

I have always liked the looks/specs of the GX9. If the E-M5.3 didn't exist I'd probably have a GX9 (which I think is probably cheaper, but I'm just thinking of the camera regardless of price).

If the GX9 was weather-sealed and with the GX8 viewfinder, I would probably just had two of them and been more than happy to tote them untill they went to camera heaven, somewhere down the line. As it is, I like most things about it and like shooting with it, but I dont love it as such, but that probably has to do with a feeling of being shanked by Panasonic when they released it. 😲 :unsure:
I think the viewfinder and weight were what swung me from my GX9. It seemed very heavy for its size. But with either the P14 or 12-32 it was a fine camera.

I
I think the viewfinder and weight were what swung me from my GX9. It seemed very heavy for its size. But with either the P14 or 12-32 it was a fine camera.
I had it in my head that the GX9 was similar weigh-wise to the E-M10s and the E-M5.3, but I see that it is a little heavier. Plus, I think that an RF-style camera looks as though it should be lighter (without the "DSLR" hump), so psychologically I guess it's a bad mix. Oh well... I still think it would be OK for me, but fortunately we have options in m43 land... :)

Back