Fuji My thoughts switching from primes to the 16-55 2.8

Yeah you get what you "pay" for in terms of size and weight, I'm sure.

I've found myself thinking the 18-135 would be a great lens for daytime city biking work, as long as I had an open bar bag to carry it in (vs ON me). I often wish for the longer reach. Anywho...

Yeah you get what you "pay" for in terms of size and weight, I'm sure.

I've found myself thinking the 18-135 would be a great lens for daytime city biking work, as long as I had an open bar bag to carry it in (vs ON me). I often wish for the longer reach. Anywho...

The size and weight are really good compared to the Canon/Sigma/Nikon equivalent.

My dad loves the 18-135. He will go out for the day with just that and extension tubes on the X-T1 and can shoot anything he wants.

I tried this formidable lens on my xe1 at show last year ; way too big & heavy for anything other than an XT-1 & hard to justify when the 18-55 f2.8-f4 is already such a good performer ; i think my next fuji x body will be an xt10 , not that i need an upgrade , its just so damm covetable

I moved up to XT-10 from from an XE-1. You will appreciate all the incremental control changes, but more importantly the AF performance increase.

Bobby's photo from 1/10/16 of the X-T10 + 35mm f/2 gets my attention. I do like wider FOV lenses, but that package size looks mighty appealing. I have the X-T1, and use it with 50mm, 24mm and 17mm legacy lenses. The IQ of those lenses is excellent, and I enjoy the tactile experience of using the old lenses. However, the Tokina 17mm is about the size and weight of the 16-55. I've been giving a lot of thought to downsizing and simplifying. I have no native lenses. The front-runner if I can sell all of my other camera gear is the 23mm WR. One camera, one lens. Can he do it?

Bobby's photo from 1/10/16 of the X-T10 + 35mm f/2 gets my attention. I do like wider FOV lenses, but that package size looks mighty appealing. I have the X-T1, and use it with 50mm, 24mm and 17mm legacy lenses. The IQ of those lenses is excellent, and I enjoy the tactile experience of using the old lenses. However, the Tokina 17mm is about the size and weight of the 16-55. I've been giving a lot of thought to downsizing and simplifying. I have no native lenses. The front-runner if I can sell all of my other camera gear is the 23mm WR. One camera, one lens. Can he do it?

The X-T10/35 f2 is super lightweight and can be thrown on a spider pin holster on your belt without being noticed. On the other end of the spectrum, the 16-55 is a fantastic all purpose workhorse one lens solution. It can cover landscape, street, weddings, portraits, and so on. Paired with your X-T1 you have a weather sealed kit for less than ideal conditions. I've shot in the rain on the beach and everything worked great.

I have to say, the 23 f2 makes the most logical sense for a single lens setup. Fuji clearly agrees, ala the X100. I use the 23 f1.4 a ton, and there are plenty of times I'd gie up a stop to cut the size by ... 40%?

I have to say, the 23 f2 makes the most logical sense for a single lens setup. Fuji clearly agrees, ala the X100. I use the 23 f1.4 a ton, and there are plenty of times I'd gie up a stop to cut the size by ... 40%?
That's exactly what I did. 23 isn't a big focal length for me per se and my need for speed is satisfied by my 35 and particularly 56mm glass. The 23mm F2 "Fujicron" does it for me in the moderate wideangle dept along with the "traveller's friend" X100F.

Discuss away. These threads are for people to learn from other's thought processes on gear choices.

Some portrait samples
_DSF0667-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSF0685-Edit-L.jpg

_DSF4169-Edit-L.jpg

_DSF1445-Edit-2-L.jpg

I need to amend my earlier statement; the Tokina 17mm currently on my X-T1 is about the size of the 18-55, not the 16-55.

Just for curiosity, I ran a sim on CameraSize to compare the X-T1 with a 16-55, 18-55, and 23 WR. I realize the lenses all have different target audiences and purposes, but wow, what a difference:

Compact Camera Meter

I have bounced back and forth between zooms and primes over the past few years, but as I pursue woodland biking more and more, I'm finding more and more a desire to keep my camera gear at a minimum.

Would the 18-135 be a good one lens solution for you?
From a utility standpoint, probably. From a size standpoint, probably not. I've owned several high quality zooms for MFT, Pentax, and Sony over the years, and ended up selling all of them as the size just didn't agree with me. I used to like taking photos of song birds, but I don't have any lenses suitable for that now. The 16-55 is a tempting thought from an IQ prospect, as I really like doing landscapes that have a lot of foreground detail. The size of the thing just gives me pause. I may rent one for a week to see how I get along with it.

Renting is a good idea. How you carry it is also a factor. Have you looked at the Peak Design straps. They work amazingly well.
I actually have a PD strap that goes around both shoulders and holds the camera close to your chest. It works OK when bike riding, although I have a small padded pouch that straps onto the handlebar and holds the X30 I'm presently using. I need to try the PD strap again with the X-T1.

I just remembered the other system I had in mind. Have you ever looked at the Cotton Carrier system. That may work really well for bike riding. I have a friend who uses it for skiing and loves it.

Back