Fuji My thoughts switching from primes to the 16-55 2.8

Well, now I'm considering the 16-55 f/2.8 based on my current mostly event shooting, but I need to do some reshuffling of the inventory. I'm also concerned about the 10-24mm overlap at the short end. But I use that 10mm end quit a bit. And then there are the primes. Of those the 90mm definitely goes. It has seen almost no use since purchase. The shorter primes will be covered with the zooms. And does anybody know what the deal is with the "out of stock" situation on this lens? (USA) Any rumors on availability? Thanks!

A friend of mine in Long Island was able to order one today. So you may want to check all of the usual places, local shops, B&H, Amazon, etc.

Had Capture One not sent me on a roller coaster ride last year, I never would have switched back to primes. As soon as I figure out things out I re acquired the 16-55. Had it for two months and never touched a prime. So I sold them all. The 16-55/50-140 is a great event combo. Fuji will be releasing the 8-16 2.8. So at that point you may consider replacing the 10-24. Until then, I would not be concerned with some overlap.

Pelican.jpg
Also made the change from Primes to the Fuji 16-55mm lens. Used it a lot on the XE-1 and now it is on the Fuji X-T20 a lot.......here is an image from 16-55mm and XE-1......

It's the weight of a single lens wot puts me off. It's taken me years to fettle my ideal kit, first in Leica M and now in Fuji X. 35-50-90 (or 23-35-50 in Fuji-speak) meets 90% of my shooting needs. If I need wider, I reach for the 14. The massive benefit to me of primes when travelling is that I can distribute the weight. I "get" zooms, honestly, and there are times when I'll just step out of the door with the 18-135 or the 50-230 or even the 100-400 but that's for specific reasons. Most of my photography is "reflective" so the time it takes to change lenses is an advantage not a disadvantage.

It's the weight of a single lens wot puts me off. It's taken me years to fettle my ideal kit, first in Leica M and now in Fuji X. 35-50-90 (or 23-35-50 in Fuji-speak) meets 90% of my shooting needs. If I need wider, I reach for the 14. The massive benefit to me of primes when travelling is that I can distribute the weight. I "get" zooms, honestly, and there are times when I'll just step out of the door with the 18-135 or the 50-230 or even the 100-400 but that's for specific reasons. Most of my photography is "reflective" so the time it takes to change lenses is an advantage not a disadvantage.

I shot that way most of my life. Including weddings. A prime trilogy, usually 35/85/135 in FF terms. It is a wonderful way to shoot. And I agree that taking time is huge benefit to the images.

But the last few years it became much more advantageous for me to have a quality zoom kit. While heavy for a fuji kit, I find the 16-55/50-140 kit is still lighter in weight than my Canon 1D/3 prime kit by quite a lot. Lately I've been finding that I shoot with the 50-140 because I really love the images it produces. But the 16-55 is my workhorse by far.

When I want to go lightweight, and/or be a lot more incognito, I strip off the battery grip and use the 18-55.

... Most of my photography is "reflective" so the time it takes to change lenses is an advantage not a disadvantage.

What a great way of looking at this subject. This will stick with me and and will probably influence my decision (leaning towards primes) when choosing a kit for the day or trip (although the 18-55 will usually be close by, just in case, since the widest prime I have is 23). Thanks !

Those last 4-5 posts are also inadvertently another plug for the humble 18-55... Where else do you get 2.8 (at one end), and 27-80mm range in something no bigger than (and sometimes smaller than) the primes? With OIS! It doesn't tug at me the way the primes do, but when I'm working (photographing while biking in urban settings), it just works so much better than the primes so much of the time that I have no real choice but to use it. It's smaller and lighter than the 23 f1.4 and the 56 1.2. It's pretty much identical to the 14 f2.8.

You can't really go wrong with the 18-55. Fuji really made a special lens, for the reasons that you stated. Plus the fact that it is super sharp. As stated above, I use it when I want to go light/incognito. Also it is a great backup to the 16-55 at events. Plus, there are times when the OIS is much more beneficial than a constant 2.8 aperture. One could get away with a kit consisting of the 18-55/55-200 combo at a lot of events due to their great OIS and decent aperture range. Maybe throw in a prime for really low light.

Enjoyed the write up and I agree that the 16-55mm is every good as the prime equivalents. I use mine on my X-T2 and X-Pro2 and the results are stunning. Out of my 9 Fuji lenses, my two that spend most of the time on the camera are the 16-55mm and the 10-24mm. Sublime results of the 16-55mm and equals if not betters anything my Nikon 16-35mm paired with my D800E.

My opinion of Fujinon lenses is so high I am slowly migrating away from Nikons!

I've been doing a lot of portraits with the 16-55 over the last few months. Traditional thinking would dictate using the 50-140, of the two lenses that I shoot with, for portraits. I really like the interaction with my subject I can get from being much closer to them using the 16-55. It makes for a more intimate feel in the images. Here is small example.

T1B06566-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

T1B06642-L.jpg

T1B07657-Edit-L.jpg

_DSF8843-L.jpg

T1B05825-L.jpg

I'm going to have to think differently on my first serious lens purchase. Instead of the 16 this could cover three prime ranges for me. But, there's just something about the feeling I get when I have a good prime on my camera, my vision and thought process definitely changes.

I'm going to have to think differently on my first serious lens purchase. Instead of the 16 this could cover three prime ranges for me. But, there's just something about the feeling I get when I have a good prime on my camera, my vision and thought process definitely changes.
And I know the exact feeling! However, the 16-55mm f2.8 gives me the same feeling as have with the 23mm f2 and the 35mm f1.4. Not so much in the handling aspect, but in the confidence that I know the lens will behave in the same way with regards to quality. It is as good as my Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 was and that remains one heck of a lens.

Richard

Having shots primes for a very long time, I know exactly how you feel. There are times I start shopping for primes. But the 16-55 is just a killer lens. As Richard points out, the 16-55 is delivers quality images. It has become a true workhorse lens for me. And with your landscape work, the 16-55 is weather sealed.

......16-55mm 2.8 is a fantastic lens, use mine a lot, coming from a Prime lens user.......but did keep my 14mm, 23mm 1.4 and 60mm macro to get up close and personal.....like doing people pixs with the 60mm.....

The 60 is a cracker for portrait work but the slow focus and the tendency to hunt (shared with the Zeiss Touit) means it can be frustrating when you are trying to work quickly to capture fleeting expressions. The 56 is king of the primes in that area. I have taken literally hundreds of portrait shots with it and it is superb. Second, these days, I'd put the 50mm f2 although I confess I am an addict of the 56's beautiful bokeh.

Back