Travel My Trip Report - Iceland

I have woken up about an hour ago and literally spent that time reading every word of your very wonderful journey's journal. Thank you for the vivid descriptions, the inclusion of music and videos.

Thank you also for opening up on a personal level about issues you were struggling with. It takes bravery to be honest like this, for which I commend you... Since we usually try to hide our fragility.

Lots to digest after a trip like that and you'll be going back mentally a lot, I know!

Wonderful to have made the connection with Helga (who does look lovely!) and I hope your intended return visit will materialize.

Again: thank you for writing in such full detail and excellent storytelling style. A very enjoyable and gripping short story.

I have woken up about an hour ago and literally spent that time reading every word of your very wonderful journey's journal. Thank you for the vivid descriptions, the inclusion of music and videos.

Thank you also for opening up on a personal level about issues you were struggling with. It takes bravery to be honest like this, for which I commend you... Since we usually try to hide our fragility.

Lots to digest after a trip like that and you'll be going back mentally a lot, I know!

Wonderful to have made the connection with Helga (who does look lovely!) and I hope your intended return visit will materialize.

Again: thank you for writing in such full detail and excellent storytelling style. A very enjoyable and gripping short story.
Thank you Irene! I appreciate your kind words. You’re correct...I will be going back often in my mind, until that return trip becomes a reality.

Much appreciated, Chris - both your photographs and your words. A sense of place and emotions comes through both strongly and subtlely, in different ways. What an extraordinary trip. And the fact that, at moments and in places, you were able to feel a sense of your father's presence, is equally extraordinary...and just plain wonderful. Thank you for sharing all of this in such detail.

One minor photographic observation: I would say you have an affinity for your Nikon Df - or perhaps it is mutual, and the camera has an affinity for your vision - but among the many great images you posted here, quite a few of my favorites are those you took with the Df. In particular, those remarkable images of the red lighthouse you posted early on, as well as one or two of a shipwreck. The way you 'captured' what you were seeing in those (and others) is a tribute to your photographer's eye; but the Df certainly seems to be in synchronicity with your (real) imagemaking talents.

Much appreciated, Chris - both your photographs and your words. A sense of place and emotions comes through both strongly and subtlely, in different ways. What an extraordinary trip. And the fact that, at moments and in places, you were able to feel a sense of your father's presence, is equally extraordinary...and just plain wonderful. Thank you for sharing all of this in such detail.

One minor photographic observation: I would say you have an affinity for your Nikon Df - or perhaps it is mutual, and the camera has an affinity for your vision - but among the many great images you posted here, quite a few of my favorites are those you took with the Df. In particular, those remarkable images of the red lighthouse you posted early on, as well as one or two of a shipwreck. The way you 'captured' what you were seeing in those (and others) is a tribute to your photographer's eye; but the Df certainly seems to be in synchronicity with your (real) imagemaking talents.
Thanks for all the kind words Miguel.

Yes, the Df is a love affair for me...and it seems that it shows!

Thanks Bo! If I were as close as you, I’d be there every weekend! And you probably won’t shy away from the gravlax like I did 😲
Gravlax is very good to eat! I like it with dill stewed potatoes and some lemon pressed over the fish!
It is not something to shy away from, it does not taste strange at all.

Fermented shark I will never try!
We have something called "Surströming" that is fermented herring! Not something you want to smell!

How did the Tokina 16-28 hold out? Is it a Nikon mount for your Df? I've got one too, but haven't used it in years. Initially I was in love with it, but find it rather heavy.

Now that I'm using mainly Fuji's, it's just sitting in the cupboard... Which is always sad with lenses

Gravlax is very good to eat! I like it with dill stewed potatoes and some lemon pressed over the fish!
It is not something to shy away from, it does not taste strange at all.

Fermented shark I will never try!
We have something called "Surströming" that is fermented herring! Not something you want to smell!
But gravlax for breakfast?! I only ever saw it at the breakfast buffet. Call me crazy, but I’m not in the mood for salmon first thing in the morning.

How did the Tokina 16-28 hold out? Is it a Nikon mount for your Df? I've got one too, but haven't used it in years. Initially I was in love with it, but find it rather heavy.

Now that I'm using mainly Fuji's, it's just sitting in the cupboard... Which is always sad with lenses
I think it’s a great lens. And yes, it’s a native F mount. It’s a little heavy on the Df, whereas it would be right at home on something like an D810. I avoid f2.8 zooms on this camera for that reason, but didn’t have much choice for an ultra wide. I didn’t use it much on this trip, mostly just in caves where the wide angle and extra light helped. The weather sealing was a plus, but didn’t prove a must with how infrequent I used it. I’d also prefer if it could take filters, but at half the cost of the Nikon 16-35 f4, it’s hard to argue. One day I may sell it for the Nikon, but for now it does the job.

Edit - here’s my favorite shot that I took with it -
BAD9F068-92A9-426F-8360-B380E89D0079.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Chris, thanks for the great photos and travelogue.
I have travelled many times by myself and your tales made me think back to some of those days.
Haven‘t made it to Iceland, but it is on my list after seeing some of your images.

Last edited:
Chris, I have read your first two posts, but am making our 1985 pool fence toddler proof (it already was ... ). Massive job for me at nearly 75 y.o.

The retrospective laws require the fence to be impenetrable by a 0-5 y.o. trained by the SAS (Seals, in American) equipped with 36V power tools, etc.

Our property is already surrounded by a 2.4+ metre fence, with always locked security gates and doors.

Pool fencing has to comply with an unpublished Australian Standard (!!), and inspection costs $300 every 4 years. Fines up to $30,000 for non-compliance. Does not apply to public swimming pools ...

Bloody near killing me, literally! My BP was 79/67 with a pulse rate of 120 bpm the other day. Very nearly called an ambulance ...

There is well under a one in a million chance of any toddler drowning in any private pool (5 deaths between 2005 and 2021, IIRC), and about 1 in 100 chance of the compliance work killing me, or someone in a similar situation.

Most drownings in this age group occur in the family bath (22%), or in the ubiquitous wading pools, neither of which require any safety protection of any description ...

Just explaining why I haven't fully read and commented yet.

Back