Documentary My Visual Diary 2022: Steampunk Festival!

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your visual diaries very much, you do a great job. Glad to see it posted here with a pointer to it posted over “there “, brilliant!

Nice work with that 56mm. I feel like I would always be backing into people at that focal length. It certainly worked for you though.
Strangely, the working distance wasn't as difficult as I expected - being outdoors helped, and I tend to prefer tele lengths anyway.

Can we see you in your costume?
Apologies if you have indeed included one of yourself among these and I didn't notice
This was sent to me by the fellow with the Canon R6, whom I got talking to online after the event. My costume was just cobbled together with things I already had, but next year I plan to be a bit more polished.
IMG_20220425_194608_819.jpg

VERY well shot!

I found the photos so engaging I forgot to hit likes and winners as I went through! Please consider this fair compensation:

🏆🏆🏆👍👍👍😍😍😍:th_salute::clapping:

I agree, Tim.
After the second tranche, I realised that I hadn't, so went back and dotted them.

great job, Melanie.

And a fantastic turnout by the local community.

Thanks for sharing! These images are amazing , and what a great celebration. Love the way you capture the joy on participants faces. Great eye for some really cool details.
Thank you all - and everyone I've missed quoting - so much for your support and encouragement. Regulars on the mu43 forum (some of whom I recognise here) may have seen my coverage of local events - largely for my own pleasure - over the past few years. Community documentary work is very rewarding for me. I tend to look for appealing compositions and interesting gestures, which rarely happens if people know they're being photographed.

I was worried that my little 16MP micro four thirds Lumix G85 wouldn't be up to the task in the low light, but it exceeded my expectations. No doubt, a larger format with similar glass may yield better results, but I'm glad to say I haven't really had a GAS flare-up since the event 😉

Brilliant series, Melanie! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing so many of your images.

I think Kevin's suggestion - of changing this to 'Documentary' - was a good one; your photographs, in addition to their many other very cool qualities, are also truly documenting a phenomenon, a community as you pointed out, and a specific time and place and grouping of people that are sooo worth remembering. I think my FavoriteS (plural) have to be all those wild & wacky headdresses, hats, headgear, lids, brims, and head-pieces - in conjunction, often, with an inventively eclectic collection of glasses and eye-gear.

You really also capture and translate a special vibe into images - in ways that are very cool.

If there was an ICON for I.E.B. (Inventively Effing Brilliant!) I would click it multiple times. And thank you, again, for giving me and the other Cameraderians this wonderful visual excursion.

I was worried that my little 16MP micro four thirds Lumix G85 wouldn't be up to the task in the low light, but it exceeded my expectations. No doubt, a larger format with similar glass may yield better results, but I'm glad to say I haven't really had a GAS flare-up since the event 😉
Well in that case, they suck! :laugh1:

Honestly, I don't know what you'd gain in that series by going to a larger sensor. In all my ramblings about the issues I had with my Panaosonic, image quality was never one of them, and that includes low light. It's so easy to get glassy eyed about this gear or that with all of the excellent images that get posted. Anyone who frequents photography forums and is at peace with their present gear is in a good place, as far as I'm concerned!

Back