Fuji My X-Pro2 Review

Great set of images. And you have discovered what I have been trying to tell people for years. Yeah, one can get a good image with the look they like from other editors. But C1 does it easier, with a much better starting point. And it does handle the Xtrans files better than most editors.

I love the part about you making two new friends. Meeting people and making new friends is one of my favorite things photography brings to my life.

I found that I liked the C1E edits better than the original edits. But that is more a matter of personal preference.

And in a moment of funny timing. I am trying out the latest version of OnOne Raw.

I found that I liked the C1E edits better than the original edits. But that is more a matter of personal preference.

And in a moment of funny timing. I am trying out the latest version of OnOne Raw.

I have to be honest... I suspect I could port my workflow for all of my cameras to C1. I reckon that I could close the slight gap that the XP1 and M9 enjoy with my non-C1 apps (Silkypix and LR respectively) with some practice and have every edited file in one app.

A combination of costs and laziness prevents me... but perhaps one day...

By and large I’ve heard good things about OnOne. I use their pre-raw product (on one photo) slightly more than occasionally and a little less than frequently!)

I have to be honest... I suspect I could port my workflow for all of my cameras to C1. I reckon that I could close the slight gap that the XP1 and M9 enjoy with my non-C1 apps (Silkypix and LR respectively) with some practice and have every edited file in one app.

This where I find myself with C1 and Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo replaces Photoshop for things like frequency separation layers in portrait work, or content aware type removal of things. Although the more refined C1 gets, and the better I get at getting everything right in camera, the less I find myself needing Affinity. But I always try to stay open to other editors. Competition is a great thing.

A combination of costs and laziness prevents me... but perhaps one day...

I've gone through this at times over the years. Had LR worked better with the Fuji Xtrans files, I never would have put the time into switching to C1.

By and large I’ve heard good things about OnOne. I use their pre-raw product (on one photo) slightly more than occasionally and a little less than frequently!)

I've tried OnOne Raw a couple of times. They really have something great in this new version. All of the integrated tools for portraits has my interest piqued. And if I decide to put my money towards OnOne. I can always have the latest version of C1 for free with the express version.

I might find myself using C1 express to make fuji raf tiffs to farm out to LR... if I’m right.... (if...) I think I can delete the tiffs after editing (from the disk so that LR asks me to find the missing file) then make another tiff if I need to re-edit and LR should pick up its original edits from the sidecar files

C1 just costs so much money here in europe, and I already own a lot of apps really...

You may be able to do most, if not all of what you need after some practice time. If not, then you are on to a glad plan to work with.

The thing with LR IMO, is that it’s only the demosaicing that’s not great (on Fuji files, and I’m told Sony) but the app itself is really good for me to use.

If I farm out demosaicing then suddenly LR has a lot going for it

Plus my LR is v6 so it’s bought and paid for

LR also has the edge with the m9 files, and that’s so the camera I tend to reach for these days....

....that said, we’re getting into (well already here) rainy season, where the x-pro2 will see way more use, so that might force my hand towards c1

The thing with LR IMO, is that it’s only the demosaicing that’s not great (on Fuji files, and I’m told Sony) but the app itself is really good for me to use.

If I farm out demosaicing then suddenly LR has a lot going for it
This says it all. And since you can do that with the free C1E, you have your workflow without paying for another piece of software.

For my article this week, I decided to use Capture One Express take a look at X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 images and see just how different they looked...

....and how we could make a baseline setting to make them look a little less different!

Getting the "X-Pro1 Look" from the X-Pro2 in Capture One Express Finding a X-Pro1 look-a-like baseline

Getting the “X-Pro1 Look” from the X-Pro2 in Capture One Express

This week's article could not have been more perfectly timed for me. I was working through a set of images in my trial version of the new Capture One Pro 12 last night. While I was working I thought about your previous articles on this, and wondered about doing the "X-Pro1 look" with X-Pro2 files in the newest C1.

This week's article could not have been more perfectly timed for me. I was working through a set of images in my trial version of the new Capture One Pro 12 last night. While I was working I thought about your previous articles on this, and wondered about doing the "X-Pro1 look" with X-Pro2 files in the newest C1.

That’s serendipitous!

I just wanted to try and get an easily applicable base to make a starting point

In some of my test images, I think the midtones are boosted a bit too much, but (as you’ll know) this would be counteracted by edits to that individual image, so I think they still work as a starting point

C1 (or maybe the xp2 istelf) seems, well to my eye anyway, to have a bit much red in it when compared to the xp1 or even if just looked at individually!

But this is pretty easily rectified in post IMO

I also (not for an article) compared c1 xp2 edits to silkypix ones, and c1 more often or not was more to my tastes.

I’m only really finding this with the xp2 though, with both the m9 and the xp1 c1 isn’t a clear winner (or loser), so I’m happy enough to use the free version of c1 just for the xp2

In C1 Pro, there are a great many more color tools which could be used to really refine the reds exactly to your, or each person's preference. Unfortunately, the first time purchase of C1 Pro can be costly. Even the upgrade price has gone up. On the other side of that, C1 Pro is at a point for many photographers where it is the only editing software needed. I've been away from Adobe for quite some time, with the exception of occasional testing of new versions. And only use Affinity Photo if I need a content aware brush. Which is rare.

Your article gives a great starting point for getting the look of X-Pro1 files. I don't think that I ever would have thought to try the edits you did to get to the starting point.

Back