Fuji My X100S died!

philipcs

Regular
My X100s is now dead.
After turn on, it only showing this OPT: ELE:
Cannot do anything, even turn off also cannot.
Only can remove battery to turn off.
I have even reset the settings in Menu but no improvement.

My Firmware ver is 1.20

Anyone have this problem before? I tried to Google but didnt get any relevant result :(

16943733780_562d9a0600_c.jpg
Fujifilm X100s Failure OPT: ELE:
by philipcs, on Flickr

Issue resolved by service center. They use their in house system to perform software reset. This reset is different from the reset in camera menu, sound like low level reset. Now ok and FOC even no more warranty.

@philipsc

Same happened to me last week: the battery ran empty faster than normal and then the camera stopped working. Reloaded the battery but this didn't help. Inserted a new battery and the display showed opt: and ele:. Apart from the display nothing else worked and the camera could only be 'switched off' by removing the battery. Fuji Europe said they had never heard of this issue before and to be quite frank your post is the only one I found on the net so it must be something quite rare. Could you give me the details of the service centre that helped you? Perhaps they can tell me how they fixed your camera so I can advise my service centre here in The Netherlands to do the same. (I don't mind the camera being reset as long as I get my 'baby' back in working condition.)

Best regards,

Jan

@philipsc

Could you give me the details of the service centre that helped you? Perhaps they can tell me how they fixed your camera so I can advise my service centre here in The Netherlands to do the same. (I don't mind the camera being reset as long as I get my 'baby' back in working condition.)

Best regards,

Jan

The post you are referring to is from over two years ago....and I don't think that user is active here anymore.

I wish you luck in resolving your issue, but I wouldn't wait around for a response from him.

I'd look for a contact for Fuji customer service in Europe....and I would also post a message in a couple other Fuji-related websites.

And please share any experience you have back here so we can be assured that Fuji offers good service for the wonderful cameras. No one expects modern electronics to work forever, but knowing that a company works with customers through unforseen problems for reasonable fees should be how it is handled....and if it is (or isn't) should be shared common knowledge.

Good luck!

Jan, had a google to see if I could find anything but other than the post above repeated in a couple of forums - nothing. Couldn't even find anything about opt: and ele: so was trying to work out what it might be. The x100 has both the optical and electronic viewfinder. Are you able to change from one to the other using the lever? Failing that, you said your battery first discharged quicker than normal. Check the battery connection points are clean. Sorry not much help but worth a try.

Hello Briar, You may be on the right track with the viewfinders. I hadn't thought of that before and I'm going to look into it, but first I need a new battery. The old one, when being charged, makes a soft, highpitched sound and to me this shows it's in need of being replaced. With a new battery the camera switches on, the screen showing opt: and ele:, and perhaps I'll find a way to reset the camera. Am going to give it a try. Thanks.

Hello Briar, You may be on the right track with the viewfinders. I hadn't thought of that before and I'm going to look into it, but first I need a new battery. The old one, when being charged, makes a soft, highpitched sound and to me this shows it's in need of being replaced. With a new battery the camera switches on, the screen showing opt: and ele:, and perhaps I'll find a way to reset the camera. Am going to give it a try. Thanks.

When you move the physical toggle on the front of the camera that switches between the optical and electronic viewfinder, does the "blackout curtain" operate as it should ? View the optical viewfinder from the front while operating the toggle....it should alternately block and then unblock the viewfinder. I had a problem with my original X100 a few years back where that curtain wasn't working properly for a few days...and I remember thinking the camera might be done for.....but then the problem went away on it's own (IIRC).

Hello Luke, I have not yet got a new battery (give me a day or two) and when I do I'll check the curtain. Sounds promising that it went away on its own.

I've just inserted a new battery and there's some progress. When, with the new battery inserted (60% charged), the camera is switched on first I get a black screen showing the letters opt: and ele: as described above. And I cannot switch the camera off again other than by removing the battery. When I switch it on and simultaneously move the toggle this results in the same black screen now visible in the viewer. So that is a sign that at least something works. Another thing I found out is that switching on the camera while pressing the playback button gives me access to the pictures that are on the card. From there I can go to the menu and even take pictures. When I switch off the camera, which works, and switch it on again I can't take pictures although the screen is working. Then trying to switch off the camera again doesn't work. So the situation at the moment is that I can take pictures following the procedure as described above, but only in 1 session. Switching off the camera results in following the same procedure when switching it on again to take pictures for another session. And all the time, also when taking pictures, the letters opt: and ele: were on the display. After having 'played' with the camera for 15 minutes the battery was empty. So it looks to me that the electronics are seriously messed up. Will charge the battery 100% and then see later this day what else I can find out about the malfunctioning of the camera. Meanwhile I hope that the camera hasn't damaged the battery.

Back