Fuji My XF56APD Review: Part1

Adam Bonn

Top Veteran
Name
Adam Bonn
I'll start a new thread for this one, as this lens is not just for one Fuji camera, so although (on my site) I've included it as part of my X-Pro2 review, it can of course, be used on all of the X mount cameras!

I've long lusted after the XF56 APD

The trouble's always been affording one !!

So when Fujifilm offered to lend me one for 10 days - I first jumped for joy, then leapt at the opportunity :)

So I've written up a review that's split into 4 parts, with this first one live today!

I hope you enjoy...

The XF56 F1.2R APD: Part1

Adam, Thanks for this and I read it with interest and I have to admit to owning and loving the 56APD (I cannot believe how expensive it is now but well worth it - I was very lucky and got mine for a superb price), I use it for portraits and have also used it for street work and as long as AF speed is not a critical criteria it delivers superb images.
Here are a couple I shot yesterday of my wife using the XT2, 56APD and the Fuji XF-X500(collected Fri after pre- ordering waaaaaaaay back), the weather yesterday was dull and dismal and threatening rain but the this combo really worked well and the lens delivered its magic.

She 2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
She 4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There's certainly some magic in the APD...

I'm struggling to find words for it... all I know is that I really didn't want to give it back when Fuji asked for it !!!

(I did of course)

It's certainly not cheap... here in Portugal rrp is €1400 :O

Even the UK refurb store wants £800 for it now (used to be £700)

I've done the review in 4 parts, because I well got carried away - so it's like 5k words, and I'm away for 2 weeks, next week - so I've that wonderful feeling of not having to write anything for 4 weeks - don't get me wrong, I love writing on my site, I don't get paid or anything - hell I don't even have a donate button or affiliate links, but it's nice to have a break

Nice shots Ian, I'm sure the APD rendering is a little warmer and 'original 3 primes' like than many of the newer lenses

I get into the images later on in my review... But they're already up on flickr

Here's one from my first day (hour in fact) with the APD

It's a 'SOOC' acros, with a tone curve tweak - did I mention that I loved that lens?!

One day... (probably should put a donate button on and affiliate links on my site !!!!)

Cheers
Adam

30847444936_71c32ca0ce_b.jpg
The Street Performer
by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Adam, I cannot disagree with anything you say about this lens (got mine for £600) so a real deal - love your photo and I am looking forward to the rest of your article on the lens, thanks and I hope you didn't mind me posting those couple of images.

Adam, I cannot disagree with anything you say about this lens (got mine for £600) so a real deal - love your photo and I am looking forward to the rest of your article on the lens, thanks and I hope you didn't mind me posting those couple of images.

Of course not Ian, I think the APD should get more love and that means more pictures!

I enjoy taking a closer look at things from the 'Fuji-sphere' that people are ambivalent towards... that's how my site started, with me banging on about the X-Pro1 :)

It's also what drove me to write a 4 part series on 'RFC powered by SilkyPix' (sure it isn't LR of PS or C1, but it doesn't cost money either, and it's jammed full of useful features... I digress)

And me banging on, lead to some readers, and some new mates - one of whom was Fuji Portugal, and now they lend me things - so I've decided me banging on is a good thing and shouldn't stop ;)

£600 is a steal, I think the regular 56 costs a lot more than that these days?!

I'm sure that I'll get the APD one day... besides, maybe that rumoured XF33 F1.0 will happen... then I'll be forced to sell either my kid or my kidney!

What is the general concensus on this lens with the XPro2 / XT2 in CDAF mode.
I'm interested in the APD variant and I'm aware that both XPro2 and XT2 are already pretty quick even in contrast detect only mode once the motors in the lens can keep up. I know the 56 1.2 already has average focus speed with PDAF+CDAF, whats the performance penalty with the APD version in real world observations for focus speed and accuracy. My frame of reference would be the 35 1.4 on an XE1 for focus speed i.e. very slow!

Thanks,
Tom.

What is the general concensus on this lens with the XPro2 / XT2 in CDAF mode.
I'm interested in the APD variant and I'm aware that both XPro2 and XT2 are already pretty quick even in contrast detect only mode once the motors in the lens can keep up. I know the 56 1.2 already has average focus speed with PDAF+CDAF, whats the performance penalty with the APD version in real world observations for focus speed and accuracy. My frame of reference would be the 35 1.4 on an XE1 for focus speed i.e. very slow!

Thanks,
Tom.

On my X-Pro2 the APD is a MAYBE little slower than my XF35 F1.4 on my X-Pro2, but there's not a lot in it

The APD/X-Pro2 combo "feels" about as quick as my X-Pro1 in general

The APD (on my X-Pro2) is, give or take, more or less, about as quick as using the XF60 on my X-Pro2

It can be fairly snappy, but it can also hunt

Like all mirrorless... the APD slows down when the light drops

Sorry I can't be more scientific!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, Sunday morning...

And it's time for the concluding part of my XF56 APD review!

For the final part I share some of my personal favourite shots from my time with the APD - which are on Flickr for those of you who have requested that, and I try my best to sum up the AF experience (in a pretty subjective way to be fair)

I hope you've found at least a modicum of enjoyment from my review of a lens that's a little off the centre stage!

But even if not - I enjoyed shooting with it, and I enjoyed writing about it!

The XF56 F1.2R APD: Part4

Back