Advice Wanted NAS @Home

Plus about a gazillion for Synology.

I've had mine for about 5 years, a DS918+. I've already replaced the drives with bigger drives, all done "hot", all seamless.

Very well supported.

Get the biggest drives and the most memory you can. There are a lot of apps you can run which are really cool.

I've got Emby on mine which serves up all my media (movies, music, photos) for display around the house.

Another vote for Synology. I've had one for I don't know how long, maybe more than 10 years, and Synology keeps the operating system up-to-date. I recently discovered the Photo Station app that Synology provides, watch it in action here.
I've never been brave enough to expose my Synology box directly to the interwebs.

Too much craziness out there.

I'll add my voice to the Synology chorus. I don't have experience to share with any other systems. I've had a DS920+ for a few years (current version is the DS923+) and I don't have anything but praise for it. They're not cheap, but IMO they're worth it to protect your data. As with anything, there's a bit of a learning curve, but there's lots of support available, both from the company as well as the user community -- I would specifically recommend the SpaceRex YouTube channel, whose videos I've found helpful and thorough.

The only hiccup I've had was a early drive failure in the 4-drive array, which the Synology system diagnosed early. After sourcing a new drive, I was able to hot-swap the replacement and that was that. Obviously the failure of the (Seagate) drive is no reflection on Synology, and the resolution process could not have been much simpler.

The Synology system is VERY versatile...I feel like I've only scratched the surface of its capabilities. I use the NAS as the primary storage for my Lightroom catalog, with all my images backed up nightly to an AWS S3 bucket.

- K

I'll break the trend. I went with QNAP.

At the time I was looking, the QNAP-453D was about to be replaced by the QNAP-464D, the price dropped about $150. I watch a bunch of reviews from this guy:

I contacted him about one of the videos and exchanged a few emails. His videos were a big help. And the emails even more so. With the discount and his recommendation, I was able to get the next level up QNAP vs Synology.

What are you looking to use it for? That reviewer does a good job of identifying pluses and minuses for different use cases. The discount got me a bump in hardware that was more important than the SW and Ecosystem of either Synology or QNAP.

Note Synology is a more closed Ecosystem that offers a LOT while QNAP offers more third-party support. So if what you're looking to do is in the Ecosystem, you may have a cleaner user experience with Synology. But if it's not in the Ecosystem, you may find a third-party application in QNAP.

Think Apple and Android.

Synology, no experience from others, but Synology definitely changed my thinking towards NAS, and I replaced cloud storages with it. Now I have access to my private held pictures also from mobile (iPhone). I use iCloud only for sharing purposes with LowRes aka social media resolution pictures.

I have a Synology as well. It works well for what it is, but I actually don't like the user interface. What's wrong with a simple menu? Why is it this weird faux desktop interface?

Make sure to get an Intel processor version with at least two bays. My first Synology was a single-bay ARM, which means most plugins don't work (because they're built for Intel), and upgrading the drive is a huge chore (because you can't just pop in a new one).

What are you looking to use it for? That reviewer does a good job of identifying pluses and minuses for different use cases. The discount got me a bump in hardware that was more important than the SW and Ecosystem of either Synology or QNAP.

Note Synology is a more closed Ecosystem that offers a LOT while QNAP offers more third-party support. So if what you're looking to do is in the Ecosystem, you may have a cleaner user experience with Synology. But if it's not in the Ecosystem, you may find a third-party application in QNAP.

Think Apple and Android.
I have no frame of reference as far as QNAP is involved, but there is a goodly amount of direct third party stuff available for Synology.

You can also install virtually any Linux app via docker which gives a lot of flexibility.

Cheers,

I have no frame of reference as far as QNAP is involved, but there is a goodly amount of direct third party stuff available for Synology.

You can also install virtually any Linux app via docker which gives a lot of flexibility.

Cheers,
To be clear, both Synology and QNAP have all the apps I need. I'm not doing anything special. The reviews I read and watched were 1.5+ years ago now, but that was the opinion of the NAS Compare reviews and they seem pretty comprehensive.

But the point was more to point it out for Herman in case he has a special use case.

Well mine is ancient. Netgear Ready NAS bought in Oct 2010 (nearly 13 years old!) and still going strong. I have upgraded the RAM and disks, like every NAS disks are hot swapable. Also bought a UPS as it has ability to shut down nicely on command from the UPS in the event of a power failure.
Just remember a NAS is not a foolproof back up solution as in the event of a fire or burglary it's gone along with your PC. Need an offsite solution as well (Cloud is mine with iDrive).

Back