Performing Arts Native American Friendship Dance at Mid-American Indian Center (Image heavy)

Name
Mel
My wife and I went to the Indian Center to watch and record photographically the Friendship dance. This is where Native American dancers as well as all who attend can dance to the drum which was played by three men. There were those there with street clothes and a blanket around their shoulders and there were those with full Indian dress. We know quite a few of the attendees and tribe members since we have been active with the Indian Center in the past. This center stands on the river next to the huge metal sculpture called the Keeper of the Plains which was done by our famous Indian artist, Blackbear Bosin. It truly is a mind-boggling time to watch these descendants of the many tribes of the area having such a good time and wishing for those who are not associated with any tribe to participate. My wife is very active with some of the principals of the center and has photographed the ceremonies in the past. The colors and the use of old clothing heightened the feeling. When the dancers were dancing, they were lost in the pride of their ancestors. My wife is the lady in the first two photos in the blue top and white pants and she was having a great time communing with the participants.

P6040005.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P6040007.jpg
P6040032.jpg
P6040041.jpg
P6040043.jpg
P6040047.jpg
P6040048.jpg
P6040050.jpg
P6040056.jpg
P6040061.jpg
P6040068.jpg
P6040069.jpg
P6040083.jpg
P6040085.jpg
P6040092.jpg
P6040111.jpg
P6040118.jpg
P6040139.jpg

Back