1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nature Photographer

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by tonyturley, Jan 12, 2019.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Anyone here familiar with a publication called Nature Photographer? I picked up a copy at a local book store, and it's a nice publication, much thicker than most magazines and printed on heavy glossy paper, with many large high quality images in the articles, and the covers are thicker and stiffer than standard magazines. It's printed in Canada.

A couple of observations: of the dozens of images in the publication, two were from a Fuji X-T1, and all of the others were from either a Nikon or Canon DSLR (EXIF data is printed with each image). I have no idea whether that is by design or if nature photography in general just draws less mirrorless users. Second, one has to "pay to play", so to speak. A regular subscription is $24 yearly, and $82 gets you a "Field Contributor" membership, which gets you listed in the magazine as a Field Contributor, gets you a PIN that unlocks a private area of their web site with unpublished articles, and makes you eligible to submit photos and/or articles for publication. They say you'll be paid if you're selected for publication, but I didn't see any rates listed.

I'm wondering if this pay to play model is typical in the publishing industry. I took a pass on the idea, myself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Haven't ran across this one, but I might give it a try. I don't have any long lens, but...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Had a look at the site - most recent offerings are from 2017. Still operating?

4. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    The Autumn & Winter 2018/2019 issue is the latest I see when I go to their page, naturephotographermag.com.

• Like Like x 1